Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Been mulling this for a while and close to doing it. But curious what you guys think.

Right now, I have a gaming laptop, MacBook Pro, old iPad Pro 9.7inch, and not to mention other devices (iPhone, etc).

With the upcoming IpadOS release later this year, I was thinking about trading in my 2017 MacBook Pro & old iPad Pro and get the 11 inch 256gb iPad Pro.

Everything that I do for the most part, I can do on the iPad Pro. For gaming (World of warcraft, etc) will be on the gaming laptop. Been thinking what I may miss if I do this is pretty much some PC centric games on the go (world of warcraft, etc). But other than that everything can be done on the iPad (and then some, Netflix downloads, etc).

I checked the apple.ca trading site and what I would get for my 2017 13inch MacBook Pro and my older iPad, I can get the 256gb 11 inch iPad Pro and a keyboard folio. But not sure if I would get that amount when I go to the apple store in town to trade it in.

Curious what you guys think about this. Good idea or bad Idea.

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
depends. if you have a pc laptop, and no need for mac os, then sure. I’ve done exactly he same thing. Sold my old 2017 macbook and bought ipad pro.
It suits my workflow better. As i have a company laptop, and another one that i use maybe once a week rest of things i do on ipad.
mind you i mostly do a simple stuff - browsing web, using email, yt and some netflix.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
depends. if you have a pc laptop, and no need for mac os, then sure. I’ve done exactly he same thing. Sold my old 2017 macbook and bought ipad pro.
It suits my workflow better. As i have a company laptop, and another one that i use maybe once a week rest of things i do on ipad.
mind you i mostly do a simple stuff - browsing web, using email, yt and some netflix.

That's what the iPad is going to be for as well. Browsing, email, Netflix, etc.

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
yup, that’s is why it suits my workflow better.
but if anyone thinks on some more demanding stuff, think twice. Many many things you normally do on your laptop will be crippled by the OS in the iPad

Last edited:

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
yup, that’s is why it suits my workflow better.
but if anyone thinks on some more demanding stuff, think twice. Many many things you normally do on your laptop will be crippled by the OS in the iPad
if I need to do anything more powerful, I can always go to my gaming laptop to get that done. Most of the time it would be excel, web browsing, or watching videos on the iPad (just like the MacBook Pro right now)

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Been mulling this for a while and close to doing it. But curious what you guys think.

Right now, I have a gaming laptop, MacBook Pro, old iPad Pro 9.7inch, and not to mention other devices (iPhone, etc).

With the upcoming IpadOS release later this year, I was thinking about trading in my 2017 MacBook Pro & old iPad Pro and get the 11 inch 256gb iPad Pro.

Everything that I do for the most part, I can do on the iPad Pro. For gaming (World of warcraft, etc) will be on the gaming laptop. Been thinking what I may miss if I do this is pretty much some PC centric games on the go (world of warcraft, etc). But other than that everything can be done on the iPad (and then some, Netflix downloads, etc).

I checked the apple.ca trading site and what I would get for my 2017 13inch MacBook Pro and my older iPad, I can get the 256gb 11 inch iPad Pro and a keyboard folio. But not sure if I would get that amount when I go to the apple store in town to trade it in.

Curious what you guys think about this. Good idea or bad Idea.
It depends upon how important those tasks and workflows are that are not covered by "for the most part". You mention PC-centric games on the go, but are you currently using your gaming laptop for that or your Macbook Pro?

if I need to do anything more powerful, I can always go to my gaming laptop to get that done. Most of the time it would be excel, web browsing, or watching videos on the iPad (just like the MacBook Pro right now)
So there's nothing macOS-specific that you do? If that's the case then it sounds like the Macbook Pro is redundant.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
It depends upon how important those tasks and workflows are that are not covered by "for the most part". You mention PC-centric games on the go, but are you currently using your gaming laptop for that or your Macbook Pro?

So there's nothing macOS-specific that you do? If that's the case then it sounds like the Macbook Pro is redundant.
Should’ve been more clear on the first part. But basically, I bought the MacBook Pro in 2017 as I was planning to go to college more for excel and accounting. But that never happen or the the college had computers to use during class (MS excel). Everything I do now on the MBP (besides world of Warcraft, etc), I can use the iPad. The rest (World of Warcraft, etc) I can use my windows (MSI w/ Nvidia 1060), laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.