Thinking of upgrading to 2012 27" - Fusion drive or home brewed SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmpage2, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Hello everyone.

I have a late 2009 i7 iMac with upgraded graphics. I have installed a 256GB Crucial M4 into it and it's pretty peppy.... however, I'm tempted to upgrade to the new 27" since the new cpu and graphics are a LOT better than what I have and would be nice for gaming and video encoding.

Is it worth it to spend $250 on the Fusion drive when in some areas (such as moving large video files around) it will be slower than a pure SSD?

Would a better option be to put my 256GB M4 into an external enclosure and try to hack together my own home brew fusion drive (assuming I ordered the 27" with a regular hard drive) using Thunderbolt? Is that even possible?

Honestly I'm a bit miffed about the drive choices on the new iMac. Traditional hard drives are slower than dirt but the only pure SSD option for the new iMac is outrageously priced. I would just buy a $400 Intel 520 and slap it in there but it doesn't look like the 2012 iMac is as easy to do this with as my 2009 model.

Thanks.

2. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Still wondering if anyone is doing this.... running an external SSD in a Thunderbolt or USB3 enclosure and making a Fusion drive with the internal 1TB drive?

Also, what's the sweet spot for selling my 2009 iMac, it has Apple care until October 2013... should I sell it now or wait to get top dollar for it?