Thinking of upgrading to rMBP - couple of questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Dec 2, 2013.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I'm on a 15" MBP with 750GB Seagate Momentus XT drive. Running latest Mountain Lion OS

Before I commit to the upgrade I'd like to check out a few things first.

- Can I use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my current standard Hard Disc to the SSD in the retina pro. Rather than migration.
    I want it to run exactly as it does now. Specifically I want my Vectorworks to run, which it won't under Mavericks.

- I like my large storage size - is there a good large SSD I could get that doesn't require a second mortgage to afford.

- I like ram and would like 16GB, I have to specify this when I purchase - is this right?

Many thanks

:)

2. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Basically, no.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

- Not really. It won't be a smooth processes, even if it does work. It probably won't work because of differences in hardware though. Wait until Vectorworks is updated to Mavericks support.

- They're all expensive. Your only options are (1) built-to-order from Apple, or (2) OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012-Drive-Internal-Flash

- Yes, RAM is not upgradable at all after purchase.

4. etcetera. macrumors newbie

You could probably do a Time Machine backup on your old machine and do a Time Machine restore on the new machine. I'm not 100% sure on the logistics of "downgrading" through Time Machine so... best Google it.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Time Machine restore is using Migration Assistant. You can't technically restore to a new machine.

OP, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I moved from my old MBP with a 500gb HDD to my new rMBP with a 256gb SSD using migration assistant and had no issues. iLife was a little tricky making sure it was the new versions instead of 09, but it works now.

If you have software that hasn't been updated for Mavericks, I wouldn't make the move just yet. Or don't get rid of your old Mac until you can put the software in your new one.

6. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

The point is a new mac would come with Mavericks which would make my Vectorworks not work. To upgrade to a Vectorworks version that will work will cost in the region $2000!

So I with to set up a new MBP to run exactly the system I have configured now on my current MBP. But I fear the new hardware ( SSD & Retina display ) may
    prevent this from being possible.

I hope not.

For instance - could I boot a new MBP from an external system HD running ML.
    If so then how can I copy that onto the internal SSD drive?

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm no expert. Just a college student who's gathered some knowledge from these forums.

As far as I understand it, Apple prevents you from running an OS that is older than the machine. I'm not familiar with the program you're talking about, but if it won't work in Mavericks and is too expensive to upgrade, then I would keep your current set up. Sorry I can't be of more help!