Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
I love my iMac, and the new G5 is the best looking PC Case around. If it's quiet, I might get a low end one.

But I don't know about AAC. I love the Apple store and all that, but I think I'm going to get Gateway's wireless streaming DVD player and it does WMA and MP3.

Apple really needs to help AAC proliferate beyond the iPod and Apple store or it might not have much staying power.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-MorganX

I agree. Apple needs to get those who helped write the standard to proliferate the codec.

At least it's not a proprietary standard like WMA - that's something to Apple's advantage. - Err well, not something that is a disadvantage to Apple.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well i do agree about aac but it isnt hte first time apple has picked up a technology and given time its the new hip happin thing. and about the gateway thing, i may be a good product but i hope its gateway is around next year to warrant your purchse if it breaks.

iJon

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
I just noticed yesterday that Final Cut Express can't use AAC ripped files from my iTunes library, this is major annoying...

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Gateway seems like the Apple of the PC world with regards to the proficy of doom theories. Every year someone says the same thing. It's just amusing.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by dabirdwell
I just noticed yesterday that Final Cut Express can't use AAC ripped files from my iTunes library, this is major annoying...

Well there is a reason that Final Cut only accepts aiff, it is good qulity. Final Cut is all about the best output and in order to get that, you need the best input.

P-Worm

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Macpoops
Gateway seems like the Apple of the PC world with regards to the proficy of doom theories. Every year someone says the same thing. It's just amusing.
well with gateway's stock down to 3.65 and closing as many stores as apple opened as well as competing with dell and hp/compaq i would say they arent in a good position, thats just my own opinion.

iJon

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Originally posted by dabirdwell

Reset you're import functions and convert to .aiff 44.1 or 48 if you're going to DVD, then move the new files to another folder.

iTunes is a neat file converter:)

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by iJon
well with gateway's stock down to 3.65 and closing as many stores as apple opened as well as competing with dell and hp/compaq i would say they arent in a good position, thats just my own opinion.

iJon

They are moving to consumer electronics to boost the bottom line. I'm not too worried about getting a DVD Player fixed. I'm sure it will be as reliable as any other consumer DVD. I've never personally been near one that went bad.

I've purchased from gateway for years (accessories and stuff) never had a problem $250 with built in 802.11b and progressive. I'll take my chances it'll last the warranty.

I was shopping for a new car receiver and WMA/MP3 are growing. That's the reason for the post. The consumer electronic industry isn't exactly waiting around.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by MorganX
They are moving to consumer electronics to boost the bottom line. I'm not too worried about getting a DVD Player fixed. I'm sure it will be as reliable as any other consumer DVD. I've never personally been near one that went bad.

I've purchased from gateway for years (accessories and stuff) never had a problem $250 with built in 802.11b and progressive. I'll take my chances it'll last the warranty.

I was shopping for a new car receiver and WMA/MP3 are growing. That's the reason for the post. The consumer electronic industry isn't exactly waiting around.
well if you feel its the best choice for you then by all means by it. maybe gateway will be better at consumer electronics then computers.

iJon

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by WinterMute
Reset you're import functions and convert to .aiff 44.1 [...] iTunes is a neat file converter:)

agreed. but there's no choice from iTMS. would suck to buy the song from there first then discover you can't use it.

<tangent>
what also sucks is i bought two songs from iTMS then later found out i own the CD they were on. doh.
</tangent>

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by zimv20
agreed. but there's no choice from iTMS. would suck to buy the song from there first then discover you can't use it...
true while you're stuck with 128 AAC from iTMS there is still no reason you can't use this track in your video projects. just use iTunes to convert it to aiff. or use audio hijack. yeah it would be nice to be able to buy an uncompressed aiff version of a song from iTMS but the download time woud be obsurd.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by tjwett
true while you're stuck with 128 AAC from iTMS there is still no reason you can't use this track in your video projects. just use iTunes to convert it to aiff.

true enough. i wish iTMS offered a higher bitrate, though, at least 192. maybe the UI was too cluttered for their tastes. or maybe the record companies objected (the music sounded "too good").

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I agree that Apple needs to spread the AAC format beyond its products for the format to take hold. AAC sounds good to my ears and should survive.

On the Gateway issue: I remember way back in the day when Gateway actually made good, solid computers. My uncle bought one of their P5-120s back when it was the hot stuff and it still works perfectly to this day. The newer machines, however, are utter crap. They have, in my experience with some E-series desktops, proven themselves to be unreliable.

In my opinion, Gateway will not be a major PC manufacturer much longer. They seem to have shifted their focus to consumer electronics at this point.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by ibookin'
I agree that Apple needs to spread the AAC format beyond its products for the format to take hold. AAC sounds good to my ears and should survive.

On the Gateway issue: I remember way back in the day when Gateway actually made good, solid computers. My uncle bought one of their P5-120s back when it was the hot stuff and it still works perfectly to this day. The newer machines, however, are utter crap. They have, in my experience with some E-series desktops, proven themselves to be unreliable.

In my opinion, Gateway will not be a major PC manufacturer much longer. They seem to have shifted their focus to consumer electronics at this point.

On the same "older was better" note, my now three year old dell 667 mhz PIII still works, well the hardware that dell put in does. I have reinstalled Windows 3x.

Don't forget that now Dell Computers is Dell Inc, in their attempt at reaching out to the entire electronics market.

LOL. its like if toyota started making computers....

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by tazo
On the same "older was better" note, my now three year old dell 667 mhz PIII still works, well the hardware that dell put in does. I have reinstalled Windows 3x.

Don't forget that now Dell Computers is Dell Inc, in their attempt at reaching out to the entire electronics market.

LOL. its like if toyota started making computers....

It's pretty sad to see these previously great computer companies descend into bargain basement crap just to compete in prices.

Actually now that I think about it this was one of the reasons I switched.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
At least you still have gateway here in australia they pulled out faster than a squiral on heat...

Thye left everyone in the learch over here who just bought systems and warinties ha ha ha what warrinties....lol

As for acc ive had my mac for just a week now and havent used acc yet so cant comment on how good it is but i can say this if it can out perform wma or mp3 then hell push it not much point in having it if it wont work with anything other than apple products ok fine apple likes its toys and stuff but if your going to take over the world insert evil laught here --------- then push it to windows users like its going out of fashion in fact push it to the linux world they love anything thats chucked there way ...

BARING SOAP LOL

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Aow mah gawd!

Originally posted by tazo

Gawd, you still use Windows v3.x on your peecee? You're screwd, dewd!

;)

Must scream on a PIII, though!

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.