Thinkpad has no dvd drive, need to re-install..running out of ideas.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by detz, Aug 5, 2008.

1. detz macrumors 65816

So windows crapped out and I need to re-install it but my thinkpad does not have a dvd/cd drive so I have no way to do it. I've tried using a few usb sticks but I can't get it to boot correctly, any other ideas?

2. fpar macrumors regular

If your current windows is still working you can use an iso withe daemon tools, If not, you will need to create a bootable installer on an external hdd or ipod.
    Good Luck.

3. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Windows did work but it wouldn't let me reinstall..said my version was newer than the one I was trying to install. I tried to create a new partition to install a fresh copy but that ended up messing up Windows(blue screen every boot now). I can't get anything to boot, the closest I got was it started to load and the it freezes. :(

4. TSE macrumors 68030

The worst possible situation would be to buy an external USB 2.0 CD/DVD drive for about 60 bucks at your local electronic shop.

5. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Press the blue "Thnikvantage" button when you start up (on older ThinkPads it's labeled "Access IBM"). This will start the computer off a hidden partition including a diagnostic toolkit and system restore tool for reinstalling Windows. Just be sure that you have everything backed up ahead of time. I think it may ask you if you want to back your stuff up before reinstalling (it wipes the partition and restores the system to factory defaults), but I forget.

Now if the hidden partition was nuked, well, you may have to break down and get an external optical drive...