Thinner vs. Battery. If it were up to you...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megalobyte, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

If it were your decision. Would you choose the thinner phone with adequate battery life, or, a slightly less thin phone, maybe slightly thicker than the 4/4s, but you'd have about 1-2 more hours of battery life? I guess my question is limited to those not experiencing battery issues.

I'd much rather give up extreme thinness, for a larger, better battery. I understand the thinner is sleeker/nicer concept, but, the 4 was already pretty thin. I don't really care whether the phone is the thinnest on the market, but I care a lot about battery life.

Curious how many would actually give up an hour or 2 of battery life just to have an ultra thin phone.

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

Should make it a simple poll...

Battery my vote...

3. wellok macrumors 6502

Thinner. I already have 1-2 hours more battery life on the 5 than I had on the 4S. More, actually. I wouldn't want to go backwards but I'm satisfied with only needing to charge when I go to bed.

4. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

They made it thinner likely to compensate for better one handed usage with the larger screen.

Battery life vs User Experience?

Apple clearly thought UE was more important, and battery life was good enough.

Personally, I would have made it a little thinner than the iPHone 4S but increased battery capacity as well.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

My iPhone 5 is a good balance between size and battery life. I wouldn't give up any more battery life, but I wouldn't want to go back to the 4/4S.

Is there a neither option?

7. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

8. D33170 macrumors newbie

Umm... Isn't that what Apple just did for the iPhone 5? Lol

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Thinner. You can always add a battery case (though I don't think any are out for the 5 yet) if needed. You can't "add slimness" as an optional feature.

10. manunited macrumors member

I would go for slightly thicker and bigger battery. But that said, the iPhone 5's slimness is so attractive... :rolleyes:

11. soco macrumors 68030

soco

My thoughts exactly lol One of the major talking points of the iPhone 5 is the addition of LTE and the A6 processor and how they still managed to increase battery life.

Incredible engineering overall. If you're not experiencing this, consider your usage or possible defect in your phone.

12. Megalobyte thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would have done a poll if I saw an option in the mobile version, didn't see one though.

I'm surprised people would give up 2 extra hours for a slightly thinner phone. Interesting. :)

13. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

My guess is a battery twice as big as the actual one wouldn't make the phone even wider than the 4S, so... battery for me.

14. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

15. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

They should have maintained the thickness of the 4/4s, then reduced the weight by using the new thinner front glass and aluminum back and used the extra room/weight savings for more battery capacity.

In the end same weight and thickness as 4/4s, slightly longer and more battery would have been a win all around.

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Thinner, always thinner.

I can always charge it if needs be.

17. bisnicks macrumors regular

If they could have kept the same thickness of the 4S and increased the battery by a few hours, I'd definitely say battery. I really hope they're not going too much thinner with future iPhone's. I'd rather have a phone that's functioning than a thin dead phone!

18. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Battery. It's not like the 4/4S were big & fat. Pretty soon the race for the thinnest smartphone is going to get silly.

19. deyjavoo macrumors member

20. slayerz96 macrumors member

I don't really care about thinness (as long as its normal), I care a lot more about the weight.

Weight > battery > thickness

21. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

22. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

The 5 is doing better than my 4 or 4S for battery. Do not want the phone any thinner.:rolleyes:

Would like the screen to be wider. :mad:

23. epphllps macrumors 6502

A super thin battery at 2000 or even 1800mah would have been great. If the razr maxx can pack a 3300mah in a phone that thin then they could have upped it a bit from a measly 14XXmah.

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Before having the i5 I would have said battery, but now that I have the i5 I love the thinner and lighter phone. Plus, the battery lasts pretty much the same as my 4S.