Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scsiguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Just got my iPhone 6 Plus, Space Gray, 64GB and I'm looking for thinnest case which provides front protection (lip) and rear camera protection and also provides a good grip. I'm not concerned about drops, etc. but I'm more concerned about scratching the the rear camera when placing the phone down. A good grip on the case is important as well. Thanks for suggestions.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Not the thinnest case out there, but the Speck Candyshell Grip has everything you want, and it's honestly not what I would call thick. It's got really good camera protection, and the best front lip I've seen on any case that I've tried. When it comes to grip, one could argue it doesn't get any better than this. Comes in a bunch of color options, from simple Black/Gray to some eye popping stuff if that's your thing. Here's mine in Moss Green...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423591168.125548.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423591180.074358.jpg

scsiguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Not the thinnest case out there, but the Speck Candyshell Grip has everything you want, and it's honestly not what I would call thick. It's got really good camera protection, and the best front lip I've seen on any case that I've tried. When it comes to grip, one could argue it doesn't get any better than this. Comes in a bunch of color options, from simple Black/Gray to some eye popping stuff if that's your thing. Here's mine in Moss Green...

View attachment 529199 View attachment 529200

Thanks for the suggestion and photos. Looks like a nice case. How are those "ribs" on the back attached? Are they molded into the case?

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I'm a fan of the Apple leather cases, reasonable amount of grip thin and provides a nice lip at the front.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Thanks for the suggestion and photos. Looks like a nice case. How are those "ribs" on the back attached? Are they molded into the case?

Yeah, they are a part of the inner part of the case. It's all melded together. It's not a two-piece case or anything like that.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Apple silicone case.

I had the Silicone case for a while but ended up returning it. It's a good thickness, has sufficient camera protection and lip protection. I didn't like the slimy feel of it. Interesting feeling case for sure. I actually found it slippery against skin. Meaning, it would slide through my fingers or off my palm if not held tightly.

I can rest a TPU case or the Candyshell grip on my fingertips while I use my thumb to navigate, and the phone will literally not move, it sticks right to my skin.

When texting in landscape with the silicone case, I especially noticed it's tendency to keep slipping downward. I had to keep adjusting my grip to pull it back up again. I know not everyone has experienced this, but I'm not the only one. Just something for the OP to be aware of. I also wasn't crazy about the fully open button part of the case.

Thankfully Apple's return policy is your friend on this one. I gave the silicone case more than a week and ultimately just decided I didn't like it, especially not for $38 after tax.

EasterEgg

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
Just got my iPhone 6 Plus, Space Gray, 64GB and I'm looking for thinnest case which provides front protection (lip) and rear camera protection and also provides a good grip. I'm not concerned about drops, etc. but I'm more concerned about scratching the the rear camera when placing the phone down. A good grip on the case is important as well. Thanks for suggestions.

Mines is on its way:

http://www.evutec.com/product-p/ap-655-cs-k01.htm

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I had the Silicone case for a while but ended up returning it. It's a good thickness, has sufficient camera protection and lip protection. I didn't like the slimy feel of it. Interesting feeling case for sure. I actually found it slippery against skin. Meaning, it would slide through my fingers or off my palm if not held tightly.

I can rest a TPU case or the Candyshell grip on my fingertips while I use my thumb to navigate, and the phone will literally not move, it sticks right to my skin.

When texting in landscape with the silicone case, I especially noticed it's tendency to keep slipping downward. I had to keep adjusting my grip to pull it back up again. I know not everyone has experienced this, but I'm not the only one. Just something for the OP to be aware of. I also wasn't crazy about the fully open button part of the case.

Thankfully Apple's return policy is your friend on this one. I gave the silicone case more than a week and ultimately just decided I didn't like it, especially not for $38 after tax.

While I do agree the Apple silicone case does have the slimy, weird feel once it gets worn in a bit - I don't find it slippery at all. I've tried all the super thin polycarbonate cases and I find them super slippery with absolutely no grip. I also prefer the silicone feel to TPU.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Magpul in my opinion is the best case on the market.

That case is so very polarizing. Some people love it and others think it's bulky and ugly looking (myself included). Regardless of looks, it's definitely NOT a slim case when compared to many of the snap on cases available.

scsiguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Thanks for all the replies. I picked up a Black Magpul case and I must say I'm totally impressed. It's lightweight (at least for me) and the feel of the case is incredible. I never have the feeling that it can slip out of my hand. Not sure what kind of material they used but they got it right. I highly recommend this case.

I'm also using a Tech Armor HD Clear Ballistic screen protector. It's a nice screen protector but it really should extend a bit further on the screen than it does even considering the curved edges of the Iphone 6 Plus.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
apple leather case - black
best case on the market imo.
and ive tried a few - from silicone cases, to tpu cases to hard shells to hybrid hard/soft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.