Third-Grader Dies After Shooting Self With Uzi

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Oct 27, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So the question is, why is it legal for an 8 year old to fire a weapon of any kind?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What kind of parent puts an Uzi in the hands of an eight year old?

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

The instructor should not have given the child the gun at all, even with the parents permission.

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The worst part is the father said he didn't know how this could have happened.

From what I gather they allow all ages to shoot the guns.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Craziness.

Can the instructor and father be tried for child endangerment?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I can see a lawsuit with an instructor, an Expo, and a gun club as defendants really soon.

But if the father gave the OK, here kid go play with Uzi, it'll be much harder to win.

Any case should make insurance harder to get next year, and likely include kids as non-participants in the loaded gun play.

7. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I shot guns as a child, but nothing near as extreme as an UZI. My first shooting was when I was 12. Shot a .22 rifle, .22 hand gun, and a .38 cal.

I was with my dad, 2 brothers, and a couple family friends. I only shot the .38 2 times. and shot a ton of the .22, mainly the hand gun.

But my dad grew up with a solid understanding of guns, and often hunted as a child with his dad. He was extremely responsible and made us watch him shoot quiet a few rounds to see his gun etiquette.

We were told first off to NEVER aim in the air, at others, or at anything living or metal.

My point is, I agree, what a stupid father of that young child. I would hold the gun while my child did. To much to worry about. :( poor little kid.

8. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

Probably not considering they were present. I would guess they were responsible with it too. Just not enough. watch your kids at all times with guns people.. :(

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

In MA and CT it is legal to go to a gun range and shoot anything under the sun. They don't have any restrictions on how old you have to be. In this case the father gave the instructor permission for his son to fire the uzi. It shoots 10 rounds at a time. The kid lost control of the gun and shot himself.

10. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

they should have a leash on the gun if the recoil is that high on the thing..

and i would never let my children shoot a gun ever until i introduce the topic to them when i feel that they are responsible

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think the recoil is the problem but the kid was not strong enough to handle it.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Eight year old kids should be riding bikes and playing with their friends. Not messing around with submachine guns.

Utter madness.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

How much you wanna bet that the club gets closed down, and the state institutes new rules about gun clubs? Allowing an 8 year old to fire an Uzi is asinine. Let's hope that the state bans kids under the age of 14 or so from handling anything other than a .22.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I love the part of the story where they mention that the father is an authorized instructor, as if that made a difference. He clearly wasn't watching closely enough.

They should raise the age limit to 11.

15. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I agree, I shot the .38 once got scared. Dad asked if I could shoot again or if I wanted to be done. I said once more, I did and pretty much fell on my butt(I was a rather light 12 year old haha.). Then he took it.

He had faith in me, and was standing very close by. Literally over my shoulder. He was alert and ready to take the gun.

I had absolutely no problems with the .22. It's extremely fun and not much kick. Its a killer cap gun lol.

16. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It's probably a little of both. He could probably just hold the Uzi, then it lost balance in his hand when the recoil kicked in. And it's not like a .22 rifle where the barrel would help it balance it in your hand if you lost grip on it.

Just a sad, sad situation. They are actually lucky the kid didn't hit more people.

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I don't see a problem with a father taking his son out for a little target shooting or whatever, but a child of that age should not be handling anything larger then a .22 rifle. I know my dad took us out around the farm when I was young and he taught how to shoot. I think I was about 10 at the time. We were closely supervised and the guns were off-limits unless Dad was with us.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The fact that this had to be even stated is sheer madness. Kids shouldn't be playing with guns. A gun is considered a "weapon" because its not just a toy for us to play with.

Our society has become so incredibly over-bearing when it comes to our children's safety and well-being, and yet here we are, talking about gun safety for an 8 year old. This is insanity.

The father was with this 8 year old boy. I realize that you knew this, but I'm just saying....

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A really dumb one. I don't know how that father is going to live with the fact of what happened to his son for the rest of his life. If it was me, I'm not sure I'd want to live much longer. What a tragic event.

20. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I don't think the Second Amendment was designed to protect the rights of 8-year-olds to bear arms as part of a well-organized militia. There should be age minimums to use guns, not just buy them.

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

An irresponsible kind. But lets understand that the parents are hurting so we shouldn't be getting a mob mentality with this story.

Being a constitutionalist I respect the right to bare arms. At the same time if a person wishes to bare arms they should be responsible also.

It is a shame this happened. A sad reality in this day and age.

I do think however there should be more strict laws in regards to automatic weapons and that gun club should have never allowed an 8 year old to even hold it much less fire it.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

my question is why the hell should uzi even be in the hands of people. The Uzi is nothing more than a weapon. It not good for hunting and really only use is to shoot at people.

I see it more as a good argument to bad automatic weapons. semi automatic is one thing but fully auto....

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm a sleeveless shirt fan too. As long as I take it easy early in the year, I rarely get sunburned, but I agree, anyone baring their arms needs to be responsible and wear sunblock!!!! :D

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ok. There are a few words I have problems with.
    Happy now ?
    :p

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Light relief during a week like this is most welcome. Thank you!