Third lemon—tell me my luck just sucks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Jul 30, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apart from the failed iPhone I just bought…

My computer's airport card no longer works.

2 weeks ago, the USB port died, so new motherboard was due.

Then 2 days ago the bluetooth stopped working, so they had to replace my display.

Today my airport card no longer works; gone through all the usual steps—no fix. I'll be asking for a replacement again. I'm starting to regret this computer purchase. I mean I still want a Mac desktop, but I'm starting to think that a Mac laptop may not be the computer for me. My previous two suffered from similar failures, so in a period of 18 months, I've been dealt 3 bad computers.

My Thinkpad from 3 years ago still works like new. Has Apple's product quality gone downhill from their recent success? Or am I just really unlucky?

So far my track record is really bad; in the past 18 months:
    1) 6 HDD failures, 3 of them of new drives.
    2) iPod has broken at least twice, one with a dead battery and another with a broken touchscreen (does not respond).
    3) 3 computers with multiple repairs (including this one).
    4) I've lost a phone as well.

[/rant]

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That sucks, I'm sorry. I hope you buy something soon, and have no problems with it, so at least you feel better. That's not fair that you have had that many problems. You deserve some electronics to cooperate with you. :(:)

4. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Based on everything I have been reading lately I am starting to think the quality control has gone down a little. Also keep in mind more people are buying macs than ever before so the more the produce the more crap you hear about or for plenty have to go though. But I would say you probably are just have a nice little run of bad luck.

5. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Terrible, awful luck compared to my own. I feel really really bad for you.

From a description of issues one of my brothers' kids is having with a MacBook I got him, it's headed back for diagnostics and possible replacement of logic board. I feel sort of embarrassed because I raved on about how great Apple refurbs are and how I always get them for me, so I got one for him and now he's having a problem with it. :eek:

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Chances are you had a dud from the outset. When hardware problems occur - it often doesn't surprise me that it happens multiply on the same device.

The good news.... 3 strikes and you can demand a new machine to replace that dud. Get onto Apple and tell them you want a replacement (assuming your in warranty) and if they say anything just remind them of the 'lemon' policy.

7. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I called Apple and they quickly offered me the replacement; however, the drawback is I'm going to lose my ExpressCard capabilities. :(

8. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I've never been able to get good speeds with expresscards. AFAIK you need a whole lot of high-end equipment to notice a difference between FW800 and EC's. I just keep using FW800 and a raid 5 drive. Works pretty decent :)
    And with the new laptop, frontbus speeds, memory speeds, CPU speeds are up, so it's likely you would get faster results with this laptop anyhow.

9. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Bad Power?

Dirty power could take all of those things down. Even with the AC adapter, surges and brownouts can get through and stress electronics. It would account for the range of devices that have gone down. You should get a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with battery backup -- not a simple surge protector. They're not cheap, but if that's the problem, well worth the investment. If it fixes the problem, you should get an electrician in to do some work.

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

if anyone feels your pain....its this guy....

here is mine

SR 2.2ghz - Repaired 3 times from 8600GT
    Replaced with unibody 2.4
    unibody 2.4 magsafe caught on fire and burned desk + fw800 cables and laptop
    replaced with 2.8ghz 15" uni - they upgraded me
    15" unibody 2.8 has bad hdd and doezens of dead pixels
    15" replaced with MBA - at my request.
    MBA arrives with scratched casing and screwed up wireless. - Replaced with 17" mbp and was forced to pay 360$

17" has zero problems....but she's a beast....but i love her...

anyways....it sucks i have seen and used every broken model avail im sure....lol