"Third-Party Voting is the Height of White Privilege"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 22, 2016.

1. thermodynamic, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://madison365.com/third-party-vote-height-white-privilege/

Anyone who has the right to vote can "throw it away". There is absolutely nothing racist white about that, apart from that manufactured garbage trying to make everything racist (which is an interesting way for that author to actually engage in racist acts, ironically...)

:facepalm:

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Oh probably the height of privilege (white or otherwise) is to sit around here on a Saturday night a couple hundred miles from a taken for granted Statue of Liberty. While somewhere in Syria...

HRWStatueLibertyAleppoRubbleBySyrianArtistTammamAzzam.jpg

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

The Green Party once ran a black woman for president and a Hispanic woman for VP.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True though tbh.

Much as I don't want the conservatives to win I usually do ok if they do.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

And yet Whites continue to have the greatest voter turnout percentage wise. The last two POTUS election cycles had record black voter turnout but very low Hispanic turnout.

I'm not voting for either because I don't think either are worthy candidates. I voted in 2008 and 2012. It's not White Priveledge it's called not endorsing people I don't believe in. Shame on me for having integrity. America will elect whoever it deserves.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Easy decision to make when Trump only has a 0.3% chance of winning.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It's not a matter of voting with who is popular or a lesser of two evils. Frankly voting in my state would have no bearing on the outcome no matter which candidate assuming I actually wanted to vote for one.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You know I think my post makes me come across very unreasonable :(, so for that I am sorry.

I honestly think as you live in a state that is basically guaranteed to go one way or another you probably send a stronger message by voting for a third party than otherwise.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I was struck by this part of the OP’s linked piece:

If you can take your vote for granted — if you’ve never had to jump through hoops to vote, or never had an “election observer” question your citizenship, or never had to cast a provisional ballot — and you’re still proud to throw that vote away … sorry, that’s the height of white privilege.

Well, I can consider that guy’s argument in the light of the 1960s struggles for civil rights, even though we now know that vote suppression is not always aimed only at people of color. Maybe a white not voting this year is less the height of white privilege than the depth of American apathy. I'd ask him to consider that there are people of color who don't vote, too. And what does that mean? The height of American ingratitude or just as in the case of white non voters: some other reason. I agree with you the case for making it about race was strained.

I believe it's important not to assume our right to vote is there in the same way water and electricity are there when we turn on a tap or throw a switch. Enough of us have experienced interruption in utility services to know we can’t really take anything for granted.

As we advance towards ever more clear evidence we’re being governed by the captains of industry, I’d say “the vote” is sort of like corn flakes, in a use it or lose it sense: if Big Ag decides someday that making corn flakes has become inconvenient, since so few people seem to demand the product...

What crossed my mind though, when I had read the OP's linked piece, was a CSM interview with a Syrian doctor based in Chicago, who was born in the Syrian city of Homs, and is the founder of ARCS, an umbrella for NGOs assisting in Syrian relief. He was last in Aleppo at the end of June this year. During his interview he shared an observation of what it had been like for him to vote when he lived in Syria.

Yet if there was an election in Syria today, 99 percent of Syrians would vote for Assad. Because they have to.

I voted twice for his father, and he was just as brutal as his son. It’s not an anonymous ballot. There’s a photo and two boxes - yes or no. They watch you. They pricked my finger and made me cast my vote in blood.

We are not yet to the dismal place of being watched while we cast a forced vote to stay alive on a personalized ballot. A ballot still does mean something else in the USA and among other things its anonymity means that yes, we can be observed as to checking in and being accounted for on the registry, but the ballot itself is anonymous and we are free to cast it however we wish.

Further, we do have the right to decline to vote at all. Some states have “None of these candidates” as an option. A third party vote is not throwing away a vote, it is sending a message that two major parties have not provided a candidate I want to vote for.

Just not showing up at the polls sends a extremely ambiguous message. It’s often interpreted as apathy when it may in fact represent extreme anger, intimidation, lack of information on absentee voting options or something as simple as failure of “get out the vote” ops including offers to round up a ride to the polls.

So if one means to send a message of dissatisfaction with both major parties' candidates, there are probably better ways to do it than by just staying home. Not showing up isn't throwing away your vote, but it’s letting those two parties (and mainstream media) conclude what they like. They will not conclude that you think we should change the way we select candidates or elect them.

In a country where most of the votes go to a candidate of the two major parties, there seems to me an obligation to consider the “against” vote as an option when one cannot cast a “for” vote with any enthusiasm. This might be one of those years for me.

I don’t quite agree with description of such a vote as “vote for lesser of two evils”, either. For me sometimes it’s a vote for perceived better qualifications of one of the candidates even though I don’t care for either of them very much.

But sometimes it’s a vote for the platform of the party of one of the candidates. In that case I’m implying I expect that party’s legislators to hold the candidate to that platform’s implementation. On those grounds I might (barely) be able to understand someone voting for Donald Trump this year.

In 2016, I could not put that much trust in the Republican Party in its current, bitterly fragmented state. I know a few people whose reluctant vote for Gary Johnson is in fact an enthusiastic vote against Donald Trump. Yet they struggle with a desire to indicate that they do prefer the Republicans’ platform.

I don’t envy those voters in this vexing election season, and there are a lot of them. I still hope they don’t just stay home. I hope they as well as Democrats in a similar state of conflict do remember that we are free to split our tickets among parties’ candidates down ballot.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

While I'm not arguing your point, I'll observe that there are many reasons people don't vote. White privileges is one of them. And I frequently from a pragmatic approach, find myself arguing against people who choose to vote for a third party candidate who has no chance of winning instead of stopping the disaster from being elected. I admit this is a quandary, as the system should allow you to vote for your first choice.

... However, we have the easy answer, if we have the will to inact Instant Runoff Voting. :D However I see political parties resisting this but why? It's the true embodiment of democracy.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To me the Democrats are scared to death that the Bernie supporters will either vote third party or not vote at all!

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Shocking they didn't declare Hispanic voters racist...

13. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I think black and white turnout are pretty much the same these days. They have been closing and black turnout surpassed white in the last 2 elections. Whether that is due to Obama or a long term trend is tbd I guess. Asian and hispanic turnout is much lower.

[​IMG]

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The ones that don't vote for Clinton could all vote for Trump and not save his bacon in this race.

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Don't know about that. Most things have pro and cons. Some people like having just the 2 parties.
    I'm not massive on the number of parties we have here in Ireland and the way you can be a professional promiser and know you will never have to deal with the dirty practicalities of actually running a country. Still it is nice being able to vote for who you want to win and know your vote isn't wasted since it will transfer to your second choice. And third. And forth. And fifth.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yes, so 40% of whites not voting is white prvieldge. 40% of blacks is something else? 50% of Asians and Hispanics not voting is something else too?

The entire premise of this article I believe is very flawed and creates a huge double standard- maybe a quadruple standard. I understand some people might not have the ability to make it to voting on voting day, but there are always absentee ballots.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

This is one of the most idiotic arguments I've seen in a while. I'm also getting quite sick of some of these snarky "throwing your vote away by voting 3rd party" comments. Not only are they flat out silly, they're actively destructive toward the United States. Instead of encouraging people to participate, voice their opinion, and try and get us out of this stupid, corrupt establishment election process and actually put hands back in the power of people, they want to continue down this same we'll bring freedom to you with cruise missiles nonsense that we've been doing for way too long.

Stop doing it. Start actually thinking for yourself and start understanding the world around you.

18. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The entire "white privilege" argument is a farce.

Cynthia McKinney, right? That woman is nuts.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

She is way beyond just nuts. She is bat**** crazy.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Instant Runoff Voting has no cons, unless you really enjoy watching a political party have a spoiler come in and lose them a close race. Now if it's the other party... :rolleyes: ;)

21. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Part of the problem is the belief that voting third party is a waste of a vote because of the perceived danger of a Trump presidency. Whites are perceived as safe while minority's in peril in an Trump Presidency which can only be stopped with a vote for Clinton. Thus their logic is white male privilege is what enables someone to risk a trump presidency by voting third party say Green.

22. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Yeah, totally off her rocker. But she was their candidate, along with Rosa Clemente, and there's nothing wrong with minorities voting for or running on third party tickets. They're just as entitled to be unhappy with the two party system as any of us.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I have to agree with others here. I don't like the term "white priveledge". I think at its core it's a predjeducial and racist term. Everybody has advantages and disadvantages in life.

For all you know some high achieving pretty female white skinned, blonde haired, blue eyed college student who grew being raped by her grandfather, beaten by her father, and verbally abused by her mentally ill mother. Maybe she was rich, maybe she was dirt poor. Maybe by 14 she was shooting heroin to cope with her miserable life. Who knows. Tell her that she's had every advantage in life and she needs to "check her priveledge". How can you blindly judge someone or a group of people without knowing their experience?

It's the same as assuming every subjugated minority is poor, uneducated, into drugs, a criminal, etc. It's just as prejudicial as the term "hood rich" assuming if a black person is wearing a nice watch or driving a nice car they must devote their money to that one cause, live in the slums, and is likely a drug dealer.

Sure there are racist people out there, but the belief that everyone is racist leaves zero opportunity for growth and acceptance, and only breeds resentment and division.

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

How you you dare to bring logic into this heated discussion? ;)

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as both parties are continuing neoliberal economics, I'd say voting for either party is going to hurt all races (minorities, as usual, bearing the burden disproportionately). So do we have to look through the keyhole to see how Dems are going to throw a bone or two, or is it better to step back and realize that a better future for all is still locked behind the bipartisan door?