Third Presidential Debate: Hofstra University

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Tonight's Presidential debate between John McCain and Barack Obama starts tonight at 9pm EDT (2am BST). Moderating tonight's debate is Bob Schieffer of CBS News. The debate's format is as follows:

• Both candidates will be seated near each other at the same table.
    • Two-minute answers, followed by five-minute discussion for each question.
    • Two-minute closing statements.

If you're not in front of a television tonight, you can stream the debate from CNN here.

Going into tonight's debate, John McCain is behind in all main national polls by somewhere in the range of 5-14% and it is clear that this is one of the last opportunities for him to make up ground in front of a national audience. Pundits are split on what we may see tonight.

Over the past few days, John McCain has said that:

and that in regard to William Ayers, that:

Meanwhile, David Axelrod, chief strategist for the Obama campaign, this afternoon said:

So... this is the mega-thread for quibbling about who said what, who dissed who, for bitching about the other candidate and for your expectations and reactions to tonight's square-off in Long Island!

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

The format looks better than the last too debates, lots of more room for... debating, other than just answering questions!
    I think the last debate was interesting as the candidates moved around... and of course it'll be interesting(in a different way) seeing them up close this time as well.

3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

It seems that John McCain has some occasional difficulty hiding or filtering his annoyance or disdain for Barack Obama. I wonder how that will play out when they're sitting next to each other?

Bob Schieffer, the moderator, has said:

We've heard this before but it could get interesting.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

More Bob Schiffer: "Folks, we've got both candidates strapped, inverted, to a board. Upon failure to answer a question to my satisfaction, we will cover the offending candidate's face with this towel, and pour water over it until they agree to answer the question.

Oh, we'll get answers here tonight."
    :p:eek:

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This should be a requirement of all future Presidential and VP debates.:D

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I never realized how much of a circus these debates are. I live only 2 miles from Hofstra. Traffic is a nightmare, there are 3 news helicopters that have been flying around since lunchtime and I spotted lots of protesters.

I'm sure the Obama campaign has prepared their perfect response to Ayers. I expect McCain to be angry old man tonight; he can't help himself. It could get ugly.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Its like the cops who have to be tazered before they can tazer people. Fair is fair. ;)

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Excellent original post and a great set up for the debate. I can't wait for this one. I might get a few hours sleep first.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

hopefully they throw out the time constraints and have one of those things they USED to call a debate.

None of this:

Obama "Now Id like to correct a few of the missrepresentations mr mcc-"

Brokaw "Im srry your out of time, the american public will just have to continue beleiving that you want to tax the **** out of everyone."

Mccain " (quietly) hehehe"

10. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

In a true debate, a debater is not allow to interrupt his opponent.

These "debates" are organized arguments at best.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I won't be able to watch this one live, but I'm definitely hoping that we actually see something interesting happen.

The previous 3 debates have been a huge let down and are merely 90-minute stump speeches.

I think that failing any kind of serious Obama gaffe, this debate will effectively end the election tonight. If it's a perceived tie, Obama wins by default and McCain will never be able to climb back up in the polls.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

True, but ive noticed the GOP using the same tactic they did with the VP debate.

"Well Obama is a great debater with lots of debating experience"

Kinda lowers expectations for Mccain so that as long as he doesnt say anything insulting, stupid, or just a gaffe, he can be percieved as holding his own, or winning.

Whoa nelly, one problem with that tho, there are huge amounts of americans that are getting sick of the "whoever delivers their message better wins" thinking (thats often of FOX news) and are starting to care what that actual message is.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, remember McCain getting up and walking around in the background, every time Obama was speaking, as a way of distracting the audience?

Of course this is a different format.

Perhaps this time when Obama is giving answers, McCain will come over and sit in his lap.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

psh, he wasnt distracting them, he was exercizing with jumping jacks and chinese acrobatics. lol

I think he just really had to pee.

15. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

Watch the counter debate live at 9:00 p.m. (EST)!

http://www.bobbarr2008.com/snippets/28/counter-debate/

Watch the Real Debate Here!

While Senators Barack Obama and John McCain exchange stump speeches in New York, Libertarian Party presidential nominee Bob Barr will be adding his take to the issues that impact all American citizens.

"Pretending there is only a Republican or Democratic proposal to solve the challenges our nation faces ignores the voices of millions upon millions of Americans who are sick and tired of partisan posturing," says Bob Barr.

Bob Barr will be answering the questions Democrats and Republicans choose to avoid, live from Christopher Newport University, via the Web.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You're both wrong. The Daily Show obtained the audio of McCain as he was walking around. He was looking for his dog.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Or people could just watch the real real debate. You know, the one that matters and the one that has any effect on how this election will turn out. Just a suggestion.

EDIT: Also, the link in the OP just crashes my browser (FF, Safari and IE)

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

scruffy!?!?

I may hate the man, but i cant hate a dog, even his.

We need a search party.

19. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Even if it's a pit bull named Sarah.:D

20. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Another thing to watch for...

Is the moderator, Bob Schieffer, going to favour John McCain? Bob's brother is the current Ambassador to Japan, a Republican appointment.

Instead of John McCain raising questions about Obama, will the moderator do it instead and leave John McCain with clean hands? Perhaps this is what the McCain camp is hoping for.

You can also see Bob Schieffer in action here, defending John McCain against charges from General Wesley Clarke that being shot down as a fighter pilot doesn't necessarily qualify you to be President.

Hmm.

21. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

were practicaly neighbors. I live in long beach.

22. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I live in Brooklyn and during the summer go out to Long Beach every Sunday.

23. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I'm about 5 miles from Hofstra. I smartly have avoided that area like the plague.

Should be a rather interesting debate tonight.

24. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Mr Puddles!

25. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am debating whether I should listen to the debate or not.