This article explains how FaceID was chosen a year ago and all this doubt is nonsense

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
https://daringfireball.net/2017/10/face_id_fud

Highly recommend this article by Gruber. The hardware decision to go with face ID and not use a fingerprint sensor was likely finalized in late 2016. Yet the analysts kept feeding us nonsense on how Apple was running into all these issues trying to figure out how to embed Touch ID into the screen. Also, the Forbes article is most likely nonsense as well, as this hardware choice was made months ago, and the news they have on it is probably from 6 months to a year ago.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
https://daringfireball.net/2017/10/face_id_fud

Highly recommend this article by Gruber. The hardware decision to go with face ID and not use a fingerprint sensor was likely finalized in late 2016. Yet the analysts kept feeding us nonsense on how Apple was running into all these issues trying to figure out how to embed Touch ID into the screen. Also, the Forbes article is most likely nonsense as well, as this hardware choice was made months ago, and the news they have on it is probably from 6 months to a year ago.

Also, interestingly enough, Craig Federighi stated in an interview with Gruber that those who questioned if touch ID was not feasible for Apple to put it under the display, was also completely false. They simply abandoned touch ID embedded under the display, when Face ID would operate as they intended it to. Touch ID under the display was always a Plan B option for Apple, as they said Face ID was their first priority.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Also, interestingly enough, Craig Federighi stated in an interview with Gruber that those who questioned if touch ID was not feasible for Apple to put it under the display, was also completely false. They simply abandoned touch ID embedded under the display, when Face ID would operate as they intended it to. Touch ID under the display was always a Plan B option for Apple, as they said Face ID was their first priority.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations
B-B-but the TECH PUNDITS! All their months of unverified "supply chain" analytics turned out to be complete ********* like they are every year?!?! Say it isn't so!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So you’re trusting one unsubstantiated rumor over another?
Gruber has had over a decade of direct contacts at Apple, vs the majority of the stories being sourced from "people familiar" or those in "the supply chain". I'll take his record over the trash that Kuo guy puts out any day.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
1 in 50k chance to get your phone unlocked by a random fingerprint with Touch ID
1 in 1M chance with Face ID

At least that's what they said at the keynote. Good for sales no doubt.

88% of random statistics pulled out of someone's arse regarding electronic devices are false. ~ Abraham Lincoln

orev

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Maybe the explanation is:
  1. Apple makes plans to switch to FaceID over a year ago
  2. Apple's prototype designs are extremely confidential so nobody has any idea this is going on
  3. Apple makes prototypes and starts lining up component suppliers
  4. Component suppliers start ramping up production, and leaks start to happen
  5. Leaks show drastically reduced component orders for old TouchID sensors because they need some for the iPhone 8
  6. This causes confusion in the rumor mill because everyone already expects under the screen TouchID sensors, and since they see no component orders for them (only the regular ones), it is assumed there are problems in the prototype stage for under-the-screen sensors
  7. More leaks come out and eventually someone picks up on FaceID
  8. Everyone jumps to the conclusion that because of the lack of under the screen TouchID orders and sudden revelation of FaceID, that Apple had to make a last minute change and go to FaceID

Anyone who thinks hardware changes like this can be made within even 6 months of a new product launch is clueless.

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I am sure the Kuo guy knows a few people at Apple too, in fact all SFers have a couple of friends at Apple...so what's so special about this Gruber guy's insight?

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Anyone who thinks hardware changes like this can be made within even 6 months of a new product launch is clueless.
Yup. I work for the worlds leading playground manufacturer. Everything here is produced in-house and not sourced to another supplier. Mind you we are talking different product categories, and we are not a multi-billion dollar company like Apple, BUT product changes, even to small part, can takes months to correct. Designs have to be revised, machines have to be retooled, assembly lines have to be adjusted, testing must be done, yield rates will be an initial struggle, etc. Too much involved for this to have happened at any point after the keynote in September.

Last edited:

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Something to consider is - 13 months removed from announcement and Apple still cannot quite meet the demand of AirPods, which they gave themselves an extra three months before releasing. They've obviously had a tough time mass-producing them for whatever reason. Apple only gave themselves an additional month and a half on the iPhone X, a product FAR more in demand than AirPods, so they had to feel pretty confident about where they stood on that at the keynote.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I am sure the Kuo guy knows a few people at Apple too, in fact all SFers have a couple of friends at Apple...so what's so special about this Gruber guy's insight?
His long track record, the knowledge that he has interviewed Phil Schiller, Craig Howeveryouspellhisname, in person on his podcast immediately after the last Keynote.

You know, the fact that he has actual access and a long track record.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Exactly. Gruber gives Bloomberg crap for its so-called anonymous sources, and then cites his own so-called anonymous sources to back up HIS claims.

It’s all a load of codswallop.

The only thing we know for sure is that iPhone X launches next Friday.

Probably.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
Which is also why I believe X production is much further along than what’s being advertised. This is probably by design though to drum up major and I mean major desire for a device that won’t be as hard to obtain as were being made to believe!

Think about it Apple last year stated there won’t be any 7 plus models in jet black, yet this year there will be stock in stores on launch day. Yet every article says there won’t be hardly any stock. Now one of these is wrong or there in the middle somewhere and if I’m right Apple can say they sold an enormous amount of X model iPhones on launch weekend with prices starting at a grand apiece guess what Apples stock goes crazy high they make a ton of money and people are happy! It’s a win win.

I think Apple leaks supply chain nonsense to drum up and keep interest high!

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I love this.

I wonder if Apple did have a prototype with TouchID working under the glass. I hope they did so people who doubt FaceID could realize that Apple could have done it but basically said, "Too bad."

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
You can add a healthy dose of common sense as well. Either Apple is lying or they aren't. One version of that story makes no logical sense. The other makes perfect sense and fits in with how manufacturing is done in real life. You don't need to take anyone's word for anything. You're more than welcome to supplement what you read in those articles with your own intelligence. It's not rocket science. You don't need to blindly trust anyone on the issue. Unless you're absolutely, completely clueless on how this stuff works. But if that's the case, then you should really stop talking and start reading and learning. Just like I don't go around offering up advice on treating malaria because I literally know nothing about it. But this stuff? Yeah, the "plan B" story sounded like nonsense from day 1.

Reactions: elev8d