This Dad Took Some Incredible Color Photos Of His Hipster Daughter...In 1913

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iBlazed, Jun 9, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

These photos are spectacular. It's amazing what this guy was able to do over 100 years ago.

LINK

Although, apparently according to some comments its not his daughter, but the photos are still just wow.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That, in 1913?!!? You'd swear that was at least the mid-late 1960s, if not mid 1970s!

Absolutely amazing photos!

BL.

3. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

I'm astonished by the quality of those photos. Never would I ever have guessed that those were taken any time remotely close to 1913. My parents have grainier pictures from when they were young, and they're in their 50s right now.

4. RawBert, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're beautiful and amazing to see such high quality images when the film/camera industry hadn't fully matured yet.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, those pictures are fantastic.

7. Roller macrumors 68020

Wonderful photographs by any standard, with the foreground accentuated by the narrow depth of field and muted colors in the background.

As alluded to by iBlazed, there is a lot of speculation online as to the true identity of Christina, who may not have been Mervyn's daughter. Some people have been putting a lot of effort into identifying her. This chat is an example of that.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'm calling fake! Everybody knows the world was black-and-white back in 1913. Zillions of other photos prove it! :D

Joking aside, they're beautifully timeless. They make the past seem less distant.

9. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

Wow! I'm no photographer, but those are amazing for being over a hundred years old. It's amazing to see something that old and that clear. Absolutely amazing!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The funny thing is, we look back at the that way. I've seen similar images of life in Russia from the early 1900s and to se them in color with the vibrant clothes was amazing.

All we see is the black and white images we start thing its was a drab world, yet in actuality it was vibrant and rich.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

I've seen these photos before, and they are quite something..... lulworth cove is renknowned to be particualrly beautiful too, although I've never actually been.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-of-old-russia-2014-2?op=1&IR=T

Do you mean these ones?

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Wow, he was ahead of his time. I think of everything back then as grainy, black and white.

[​IMG]

I did not realize color photography was invented in the mid-late 1800s. I know that some portraits were colored after the fact. Wiki link

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

These are great shots and the fact they are in color makes them that much more enjoyable to look at and study.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Where's the "selfies" and "duck faces"? :eek:

Yeah, color was invented much earlier. I saw online somewheres a set of "WWI in Color" - astonishing...

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gorgeous photographs, and beautifully taken. Photography as art, simply wonderful.

18. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Great post, and I wanted to pass on a thanks from a friend, who's also a photographer and designer (I shared it with him on Facebook).

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not gonna lie but those photos look kinda creepy.

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I'm giving you the finger right now!

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Look at these autochromes.

http://www.subdivx.com/X12X91X15269...r-de-principio-de-siglo-xx-rusia-2-parte.html

22. Roller macrumors 68020

How so? The young woman certainly looks pensive to me, but not in a creepy way. I wonder what she was thinking of and what was happening in her life when these photographs were taken. The color makes the images seem modern, yet from Christina's perspective, the sinking of the Titanic was last year's news, and World War I was a year away.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think it is the color reproduction that just looks different. Add in her expressions.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Amazing. I love how in some of the non-posed ones you can see color fringing where the subject(s) moved while the photographer was swapping the plates and filters.

I guess this is why there are no "duck-faces"? Photography was too costly and time consuming to waste it on nonsense.

25. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Would a duck-face be better? :D