This doesn't bode well for Dems going forward.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, May 1, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I know there are lots of threads about the impending doom of the Democratic party. But this article, which is not on a right wing blog, kind of lays out some problems.

One of the first steps to solving a problem is to actual know what the problem is. I think this paragraph is very interesting and one that I would not have realized:

So maybe low base turnout for Hillary wasn't the problem, but instead Obama voters turning to Trump.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/polit...-now-know-exactly-why-clinton-lost/ar-BBAz1Gn

2. Chew Toy McCoy, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017

Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Establishment Democrats need to go away and they need to quit demonizing progressives or they are doomed. Their level of corruption is an embarrassment.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Can we just admit the election was a s#$show. There's no single reason Trump won or Hillary lost. The campaigning and election were a cluster...

4. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

If you get some time, you many want to read Shattered. If the stories in that book are only half true, I think a lot of Dems who voted for her would be glad Trump won. If she ran the WH like she did her campaign we would be in a whole lot of trouble.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Because we're not now? What an interesting statement. I take no comfort in the way Trump is running the WH nor the country. I also don't think they would be "glad" Trump won.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Hillary being a lying piece of crap is why she lost. Trump being a lying piece of crap is why he won. Trump told the right (correct) lies to get elected. Hillary got caught telling lies and it cost her. I truly think it is that simple

Also, Hillary having to be hauled around like she was shooting a reboot of Weekend at Bernie's didn't help either.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

We can agree to disagree that it was one thing. Interesting that you refer to Hillary as a lying piece of crap, but Trump gets no such name calling.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Reread the quote in your own post, buddy. It's right there. 2nd sentence.

9. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Except for:

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

He just did call trump a liar!

11. ibookg409, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017

ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Thanks pal.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2017 ---
    I think he may be blinded by his own prejudice for me. It happens.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - I sincerely missed that. Maybe I do need that 1st cup of coffee today

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I got the French press ready right now.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Good. Because I'm not a fan of keurig, drip (unless its chemex) or most other kinds...

15. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Even though they used different angles, Bernie and Trump were running on the same antiestablishment message.

Somewhere between the Republican Right and the Democratic Left is the group that either sat out this election or pushed Trump into the White House.

We may have a three- or four-party system in my lifetime.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh I do think that is a problem, but it's silly to predict doom and gloom. Pendulums swing both ways. It's not like Republicans will be running things for the next 100 years like some of you fantasize about.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Keurig is gross I think. I've never had a cup of Keurig coffee that I have enjoyed. I recently got a stove top peculator that I am enjoying as well. It's tricky though to time it correctly so the coffee doesn't get too weak or strong.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - I don't understand too strong? What's that?

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

There is such a thing. If its too strong a get a pretty serious headache.

20. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Progressives need to go away and they need to quit demonizing establishment Democrats or they are doomed. ;)

Man, you can't rule from the fringes. The far left is "far" for a reason; the majority of people don't agree with them! You need to be inclusive to rule in this country, which I think is a good thing. If you want the Democratic party to just turn into one of those eternal third parties who prefer philosophical purity over compromise, be my guest...

21. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

We need to crush the 2 parties who are in control with their singular platform, give everything to the rich. One party says they are going to do it and they do it. The other says they aren’t going to do it but they do it anyway.

22. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Fascinating. Per your recommendation I'm interested in the book. Is it a good read? Are the negative reviews on Amazon (the book average rating is sitting at 3 stars) from disgruntled voters?
    Agreed. During the election, in-person as well as on this forum, I told people that Bernie Sanders was similar to Donald Trump, considering they both ran on an anti-establishment message. Same track, different trains. Unfortunately, my saying this prompted an explosion from folks that disagree. "Bernie is NOT like Donald Trump. How dare you" is the attitude I remember. So much for trying to be objective.
    I haven't mastered the stove top coffee making process. My coffee comes out tasting terrible. :( I have a moka pot. Just like proper espresso machines, this little percolator is a pain in the rear to master. Are you using a moka pot or a traditional percolator?

23. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Again, let me ask: what are you going to replace them with? We have plenty of philosophically pure third-parties available. They never gain power, though, because they are never popular with a majority of voters.

The Republican and Democratic parties have done the hard work over the decades to establish themselves across the country, to understand what people in each of those areas wants out of their government, and to put together a platform that is acceptable to the widest array of voters possible. Thus, they are granted political power in this country.

To achieve such a feat demands hard work. It demands time and effort, people devoting a large chunk of their lives just to setting up and maintaining such a large organization. As such, it also demands financial investment.

Right now, both parties are indeed facing unprecedented voter anger due to their corrupt policies! The time has never been better for reform. Which has been happening; the rise of the Tea Party and of Trump show that the Republican party is shattering from within, and the Sanders movement on the left is starting to make progress. But again, there's the problem -- the Tea Party does not attract a majority of voters by itself. Trump does not attract a majority of voters (as dramatically shown by his Electoral College win). Sanders does not attract a majority of voters. Just stating that the current system is flawed is not enough; just stating that you follow a strict political philosophy is not enough. You've gotta do what the major parties have always done, find a compromise position between an array of competing philosophies, and weld together a majority out of that...

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It takes a lot of practice. A lot of good Kona beans gave their lives while I practiced.

25. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Kona... beans...?

I cried reading this. I must go now.

Good day, sir. :p