This doesn't seem right ... (Battery)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dwalls90, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

244 Cycles
    Health is 76%

My battery says it needs servicing now!

I thought these things were supposed to last 1000+ cycles!

Am I wrong here? I just got this MBP not even 18 months ago.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I believe if it drops below 80% capacity in the first 12 months then it qualifies for a replacement. It's possible that your 18 month old battery with 76% capacity could have met that criteria at one point. With that said and the fact that it is indicating that service is required, I would take it in and see if you can get a replacement battery.

3. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

I thought the battery replacement rule was if it drops below 80% within 1000 cycles rather than 12 months. Either way you should take it in and see what they say.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That's probably what it is. I am a forgetful person.

5. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I didn't buy Applecare though. So I am basically SOL for replacement coverage, right?

Why no Applecare? Because I am competent at upgrading/replacing my hardware. In the past, I have never had quality issues with my Macs. Looks like Apple is no longer the same though ...

Hell, even my BlackBook of 5 years never had battery replacement issues until a few years into it's life. It seems off that it's already crying for a replacement given this battery is supposedly 3x more durable and such.

Any hints or thoughts? Thanks for the responses above.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't have AppleCare, the battery isn't covered. However, Apple stores have been known to make exceptions, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would still take it in regardless of AppleCare and see what they have to say.

8. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wow that's helpful :)

Thanks guys!

9. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Holy crap!

First off, I will be taking it to a genius bar to AT LEAST evaluate the issue later on in the week when I get a second (maybe those lightning to 30 pin adapters will show up too ;))

BUT, my battery health dropped down to 69% in a matter of days! Something is definitely wrong here. Hopefully they replace it for free, otherwise I'll buy one myself and do it.

10. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'm guessing that you are running ML and have the latest version, it has done some crazy things with laptop battery performance. I seriously doubt that Apple would do anything about it, you are beyond any warranty and they may say it's a software issue. I have a Late 2008 MBP with an 18 month old battery with 278 cycles with 81% health, so you seem to be normal.

11. jedolley macrumors 68000

Sorry if this is a silly question, but where do you find the Battery Health %? I'm looking at the Battery Information screen and I don't see a % anywhere...

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You can download the iStat Pro or iStat Nano Apps and they will give you this information plus more.

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I hope they replace it for you.

Third party applications such as iStat Pro/Menus or coconutBattery.

14. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

ML did decrease battery performance, but 10.8.2 fixed that, reports show. And the OS wouldn't degrade the battery's longevity, that's a hardware issue... Especially over a matter if days!

And my laptop is 3 years newer, with a better battery technology. That said, there is NO way mine should have 12% worse health given I even have a few less cycles and months used, compared to yours.

15. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

So Apple only replaces a battery if it goes bad in under 1000 cycles, IF you have Applecare? Then presumably, if you don't get Applecare they will only replace the battery if it drops below 80% in the first 12 months? I only remember seeing something about 80% within 1000 cycles when I got my iPad.

16. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

+1 to istat!

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is correct. However, some Apple stores have been known to make exceptions. For details, read the BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED section near the end of the Battery FAQ.