This guy at Bestbuy told me that the iPad 2 scratches alot easier than the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rockinmorockin, Apr 20, 2011.

1. rockinmorockin macrumors member

was he just trying to get me to buy the $40 screen protector or is this true?

and what kind of case do you mostly reccommend?

2. XieoBebe macrumors member

I don't trust BB employees. And yes, he's scaring you so that you'll buy a screen protector. Just like how they scare everybody else if you don't buy their extended warranty for TVs, stereos, games, etc.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

As always, the guy at best buy doesn't have any idea what he's talking about.

4. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Also, iPad 2 breaks very easily, this is why you need Geek Squad Black Tie protection.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

This is true. I don't know why people are always down on Best Buy and the Geek Squad. They offer an invaluable service... great insight and recommendations that are always in the customer's best interest.

You didn't think I was serious did you?

6. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Well of couse he said that to you! He was trying to sell you a screen protector for $40! Haha what else was he gonna tell you, that the iPad 2 is actually pretty scratch resistant and that the glass they use for it is really sturdy?
    Actually I'm not sure if any of that is true, but I wouldn't trust BB employee.
    This video might help you see what the iPad 2 glass is actually like.
    And I personally use a smart cover :)

7. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Thanks, you just overloaded my sarcasm meter... :mad:

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

He was trying to get you to buy the screen protector.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Would have called his bluff and brought him over to their display models to see the scratches on them....

10. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

11. Kupp macrumors regular

Nope, seeing as the display one at the apple store looks filthy from use, I decided there were better ways to spend money on my iPad. It only covers the front, and the interior ends up touching whatever you put it on when used as a stand. I am going to get something from a third party instead. I see the smart cover as a novelty and nothing more.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Yes he was!

I recently bought a case for my iPad 2 at a Verizon store. The sales rep gave me an instant 25 per cent off, which was great considering I'm not a current Verizon customer. He also tried to sell me a screen protector and when I showed no interest in that, he walked over and showed me this iPad 2 with a nice scratch on the screen. His claim was that the screen scratches easily.

I still did not buy the screen protector!

13. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

my brother used to work at Best Buy, he used to pick me up Zagg covers for my iphone for $7. Those were like $20-25. So I am assuming the iPad Zagg's run Best Buy maybe $10 or so, so they are getting $30 off you. Now that he doesn't work there I go with Amazon. I got an ipad2 full body for $28 on there.

14. ALUOp macrumors member

You should've gone for Best Skin Ever.
    Why pay $28 for a skin + soap water + squeeze + nice package when you can get just the skin for $19 (or less when they have coupon)?
    I got mine for $15.
    I've used IS before on my iPhone 3G and compared to BSE their cutting at the corners was bad making it easy to peel off and collect dust.

15. Silent Assassin macrumors member

Never, ever, ever, under no circumstance listen to the guy at Best Buy.. You'd do better just calling your mother or grandmother and asking them about the iPad.. They will likely know more..

Pun intended.

---
    Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

16. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

ive been hearing good things about the best skin ever, but ive had so much experience with zagg, I have them on all my computers iphones etc...they just work well.....maybe next go round I will try the best skin ever....

17. mwheeler609 macrumors member

mwheeler609

I worked at best buy for about 3 months, the management was up our a** so much about necessities and accessories that many workers would tell you things just to get you to buy it. I ended up walking out of that job lol:D

18. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

used my ipad with a smart cover, no scratches what so ever.

front and back.

i usually leave the ipad laying on the back everywhere, and sometimes it slides around.

the only scratches is where the smart cover connects the ipad.

19. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I'm with ya. Never had a screen protector on my and wipe it down several times a day..never been scratched. Very durable..

20. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

95% of the people who work at Best Buy are idiots.

"Oh no, we don't work on commission, there's no pressure to buy anything!"

Liars. They may not get commission, but the pressure to buy $75 HDMI cables, $400 Black Tie Protection plans, $40 screen "protectors" and whatnot is outrageous.

21. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

^hahaha

what about warranties guys? he wanted me to get a 3 year warranty for 300 or so dollars...yeah, no

22. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yeah... Don't do that. They tried to sell me the same for my MBP when I got it there. I said "no thank you. I just came here to pick up this MBP and mini-displayport adapter. That is all." And he said "alright. Fine. Your total comes out to be $1200 (or something like that)."

23. Homertherat macrumors newbie

Haha their warranty = crap. I bought a 80GB iPod video when they first came out with that size, and the girl at the counter asked if I wanted a warranty. I asked what it covered, and she said "Everything. If it breaks on it's own, we cover it. If you drop it and the screen breaks, we cover it. If you throw it at a wall, we'll cover it." I assumed that the last part was exaggeration, but decided that for 60 bucks, I might as well do it (I was 15 at the time. I assumed that warranty = insurance.)

Turns out that when your screen gets broken by a banana chair(... little brothers...) and you take it in to get a replacement, they'll tell you that your warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, just normal wear and tear. So basically, if they sell me a piece of crap and I get a warranty, they'll replace it, even though the manufacturer's warranty will most likely replace it because most faulty products will be faulty within the first 90 days.

I haven't bought a product from Best Buy since then. If you don't cover accidental damage, fine, but don't sell me lies.

24. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Just like always, BB employees have no idea whatsoever.