This guy shutdown the police

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 4, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

there are many reasons why cops are not trusted, making crap up & threatening citizens is one of them.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

He did them a favor, cause I don't think the cop on the left could actually fit through his doorway.

3. zin Suspended

Whilst I can understand that a warrant is required if they want to enter the premises without the owner's permission, he could have simply allowed them to search the premises so they could go about their business.

They explained that they were looking for a fugitive and that others said he entered the house. The guy clearly was not busy nor was the encounter interrupting something. The officers also were not saying he committed a crime. He could've been more cooperative. Seems he was doing this specifically to put on a show for YouTube. He could've easily saved the video without uploading it if this weren't the case.

On the other hand, however, the officers towards the middle of the encounter didn't seem to respect the legal authority that the man has over his own home. They didn't have a warrant and he said no numerous times. The officers should have left without trying to convince the man to let them in.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1. cop on the left acted like a thug from the start. ask nicely & behave & you MIGHT get further than by simply trying to push your way into someones home. the cop threatened the home owner.

2. took them plenty of time to get there, why? because the thug on the left wanted things his way as he saw fit, turn of the camera? what for? what was he going to do while in the mans home?

3 thank you.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

And if the fugitive was inside the home and the officers had just left, we'd be in this forum saying how police were too lazy to do their job. When the officers are standing at your door looking for a fugitive, they do not know if you are under duress. There could be a person inside with a knife to your baby's throat. They don't know.

----------

Many cell phone cameras have a light on them. They are pretty bright. It makes it hard to do your job with a light in your face.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1 So there was NO PC to enter home w/o a warrant.

2 had the moron on the left acted anywhere near how the guy on the right did, things might have been different, shame people have to protect themselves by filming the police because the police are not to be trusted.

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Don't let police into your home without a warrant if there isn't an immediate crisis.

Don't assume police knocking on your door are there to do you a favor or help you, especially if you didn't dial 911.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

At least in the United States the police needs a warant. :(

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Kudos to this guy for standing up for his rights against more overbearing gestapo police.

Classy :rolleyes: of the fat cop to say "I'm gonna drag you out of there" when the guy was just minding his own business in his own private home until the cops showed up at his door.

10. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Good point. Police have no idea whats behind any door they knock on.
    The cop on the left seemed hostile from the start, that is no way to win the trust of civilians. Man taking video got defensive real quick, if video was not being taken cop on left would more then likely push his way in or drag the occupant out. I am not defending the hostile police but occupant escalated the matter way to much. No winners here IMO.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is true, but they could have at least provided the identification. Instead they accused him of playing games. In that sense they made him even less likely to trust them. I'm not sure what they would typically do if they did in fact suspect he was under duress. Forced entry doesn't seem like it would improve the situation there.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

They were in uniform with badges, department insignia patches and name plates. In addition, the individual had seen the crime, as he states. Did he not expect to see police? Good procedure is to get everyone out of the house for a minute. Identify them and move on to the next house. Once outside of the house there is a better chance of getting a person to tell you that someone is inside.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

A fake cop trade to enter my apartment and I wouldn't let him in. He started arguing with me then a real cop that lived in my apartment came up the stairs and arrested the jerk. I had to go to court and everything but even the prosecutor said I was right to ask for ID.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, I'm sure there are fake cops everywhere especially after having witnessed a crime just happening in your neighborhood. I guess that I really shouldn't be shocked that people on this forum have zero support for police. After all, it really seems that many support looting, minimize robbery and believe that we should be able to pick and choose which laws we will follow.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

supporting police is not a problem, letting uniformed thugs try to bully their way into a home w/o a warrant = problem.
    had the guy on the left acted more like the guy on the right, things might have been different, instead the poor excuse for a cop on the left decided to make threats .

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Really? Give me one example of each.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I side with the homeowner. Just because it's convenient doesn't mean he should simply abide

18. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

So to support the police we should just bow down, let them circumvent the constitution, and call it good?

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's either that or COMPLETE AND TOTAL ANARCHY!

20. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

The cops attempted to oversteps their bounds, and in the end, knew the law, and left.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hopefully, while the police were dicking around with this guy, the suspect didn't hurt anyone else.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There you go again.

Did you even ask yourself why this guy felt it necessary to be filming when he opened his front door?

EDIT: Who is doing all these things you allege?

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He didn't seem to really trust them, and they didn't do much to help that. As I pointed out his request was in fact legal. They then accused him of playing games. We don't know whether the mistrust between them was due to prior police visits to the same apartment complex.

If they really suspected he was under duress, they would have at least kept an eye on the place.

24. Renzatic, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Is it too much to ask our law enforcement officers to treat people with a little respect?

Let me tell you a little story about the one time I got my car searched. It was a good while ago, and I was driving home after a hard day at work. I was contracting for Charter at the time, so I had my little jaunty white work van, filled with tools, modems, and spools of cable.

I'm probably about 6 miles away from my house, passing by a good sized truck stop just beyond an off-ramp from I-75, when I see a squad car hit his breaks, pull a quick midroad U-turn, and drive right up to my bumper. I know I'm gonna get pulled over, and sure enough, the lights come on not even a few seconds later. I pull off in front of a little gas station, and three more squad cars pull up right behind me.

Needless to say, I'm thinking this is a bad situation.

The cop walks up to my van, hand on gun, does the usual license and proof of insurance spiel, then asks me...

"Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to step out of your vehicle while we perform a search."

"May I ask why?"

He gives me a look like that irked him a bit, but he explains politely enough...

"We're trying to find a man who shot and critically injured his wife not even an hour ago. He fled the scene with a friend in a vehicle matching the description of your van here, and we want to do a search to see if we've found him."

"Oh, well knock yourself out then."

I get out of the van, step back about 20 feet, and watch as 4 cops with their weapons drawn do their search. They were looking for a guy, not doing an in depth search for contraband, so it went by pretty quick. It was pretty funny when they had to ask me for my keys to unlock the back doors. They had two guys on each door, while one guy stood a little farther back with his gun aimed into the cab. It was pretty entertaining experience, all things considered.

Afterwards, they hand me back my keys, wave bye to me, and I'm once again on my way. The whole thing probably took about 10 minutes, max.

You know why things went so smoothly? Because they were polite and professional. If he pulled his gun and pointed it at me, screaming "OUT OF THE VAN NOW, SCUMBAG", well...I would've followed directions, because I don't want to get shot, but afterwards, I would've raised holy hell, and went headhunting.

And of course people like you would treat me with the utmost disdain. "It's a hard, dangerous job", you and yours would scream. They have the right to treat you however they want to treat you to get it done, and you probably deserved it anyway."

No, they don't have the right to treat me like crap because their job is hard. They have to act professional at all times. These guys did. Some guys don't. And it's the guys who don't I take issue with.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

And then they waste manpower watching each house where the occupant just wants to be an *** rather than cooperate so they can get the search done. It's his right to be a jerk... They can move on to the next house. It's probably a real good idea that he stop at all stop signs and obey all speed limits for a while. It would be a shame for the dashcam to see him do a "Hollywood Stop".