This is a farce - Trump Will Only Testify Before Mueller if Questions are 'Limited in Scope'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 27, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

So in other words - he can't testify, right? I mean there are very few questions he could be asked aside from his name and other personal information that would not test his recollection in ways that amount to a potential perjury trap. He lies without abandon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-on...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Trump’s legal team are willing to consider allowing the president to be interviewed by Robert Mueller’s investigation into alleged Russian collusion if the questions are “limited in scope,” a source close to the president’s legal team told the Wall Street Journal.

Trump’s lawyers are considering allowing him to testify before Mueller as long as the questions “don’t test his recollections in ways that amount to a potential perjury trap,” according to the source cited in Sunday's report.

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Trump's tweet of the day... "WITCH HUNT"

That ranks right up there with greats of four score and ask not what you can do for your country

3. 0007776 Suspended

I wonder if he’s starting to get Alzheimer’s and his handlers don’t want to admit it when he ends up getting some basic question wrong.

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

How often does a suspect or person ipof interest get to dictate the scope of a formal investigation of wrong doing? Supreme Leader does not want to put himself in a position where he could implicate himself. :oops::rolleyes:

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Isn't that what the 5th is for?

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

All his questions should be regulated to Russia and also not pertain to his Presidential powers.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I think they should pertain to any details that have arisen in the course of the investigation. Because that's how investigations work. If the investigation uncovers evidence that Trump may have shot someone on fifth avenue, Mueller is free to ask him about it.

8. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

It's easy, Donald. Just take cues from one of the greats:

"I don't recall."

"I don't recall."

;)

9. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

If it's in connection to a murder then they would need to supply a sopenia in connection to said murder. Other than that his lawyer will say, no comment.

10. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

What do you mean it's a farce? Every single person is entitled to a lawyer to defend them. The 5th amendment of the constitution states: "No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean you should be outraged that he follows what his attorneys says. Any intelligent person would do the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Jackson

"Any lawyer worth his salt will tell the suspect, in no uncertain terms, to make no statement to the police under any circumstances"

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No - it's a farce because there's literally very few questions Trump can answer that wouldn't lead him to lie/perjure himself. So what's the point. I stated it quite clearly in my initial post. It has nothing to do with whether or not I like the guy - you know I don't. But factually speaking - he can't tell the truth. He is a habitual liar.

Fact. Not opinion. Not bias.

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm happy for you that you feel comfortable making things up in order to defend your baseless opinion.

13. 0007776 Suspended

Yes, but while the 5th can save you in a court of law in the court of public opinion which is almost as important for politicians taking the 5th is essentially the same as admitting to the crime.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

What will come out of this testimony will be Trump tweeting "fake stenographer"

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If everyone can take the 5th for everything, we may as well dispose of courts altogether.

16. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

So you think people should be a witness against themselves?

17. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That's not what she said.

18. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

What is she saying then? The burden of proof is bestowed upon the prosecution, the person is innocent until "proven" guilty by the prosecution. Beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal matter, not preponderance of the evidence in a civil one.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It's simple: just haul Trump's a$$ in front of a grand jury.

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Not sure why I have to quote her post - it's right above... but "If everyone can take the 5th for everything"

Nowhere does she say that the 5th doesn't serve it's purpose.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The fact that you have attorneys even entertaining this should call on someone to find new attorneys.

22. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Yes, Trump talking to Muller and his team will not help him in any way, shape, or form, period.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There's a YUGE difference between "limited in scope" and the 5th.

They can ask whatever they want and he can take the 5th.
    If it's "limited in scope" the likelihood of a 5th plea is much smaller.

24. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

You mean plead, no plea. What possible benefit would Mr. Trump get from talking to them? His fan base won't care and his opponents won't suddenly change their minds and suddenly like/vote for him anyways. It's a loose-loose situation for him if he talks to them.

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I've said this before, Clinton is a seasoned lawyer and a politician, they tripped him up into a perjury charge. It's not as if you have a guy in Trump who's known for keeping them tight to his chest. The guy couldn't stay on script if they had a house event commemorating the many benefits of volunteerism. This ******* would go off about North Korea mid handshake with a girl from a Brownie troop.