This is a situation where I'm happy to see Walmart exert it...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
eh, i wont be buying any cds from walmart anytime soon because they only have the clean versions. Unless that changes i dont really care to be honest. im sure its good for somepeople, and horrible for the mom and pop stores, but theres not much else that can be done, now back to my class

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
PlaceofDis said:
eh, i wont be buying any cds from walmart anytime soon because they only have the clean versions. Unless that changes i dont really care to be honest. im sure its good for somepeople, and horrible for the mom and pop stores, but theres not much else that can be done, now back to my class
If Wal-Mart suceed - it won't just be for walmart. The record industry isn't stupid enough to basicly declare Wal Mart as their only vendor. Wal-Mart has them by the balls enough already.

Wal-Mart will force albums to be sold for $10 to EVERYONE. Including Mom and Pop shops.

jbembe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Baltimore, MD
Bendit said:
If Wal-Mart suceed - it won't just be for walmart. The record industry isn't stupid enough to basicly declare Wal Mart as their only vendor. Wal-Mart has them by the balls enough already.

Wal-Mart will force albums to be sold for $10 to EVERYONE. Including Mom and Pop shops.
Exactly. About friggin' time for competitive CD sales. Hopefully this won't end up squeezing the artists even more. Oh, and I like clean CDs because every one in a while I like a rap song, but I don't wanna hear strings of expletives for minutes at a time. That doesn't entertain me. ;)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yeah, I boycott Wal-Mart, and their Lowes stores too. Censored CDs is the tip of the iceberg. Treatment of women and other minorities, driving better places out of business, etc. etc.... seems like every week I hear a new reason to stay away from them. Most important of all... annoying ads that make me queasy!

K-Mart all the way :D

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
But the problem is the typical walmart problem. Walmart only carries a small selection of what they deem the main stream stuff. That means that with music stores going under due to Walmart shutting them out, we will be able to buy cd's for $10, but Walmart will be telling us which ones we can buy at all. Sure it's good that Walmart wants CD's to prices at what is much more reasonable, but I don't think the side effects are worth it.

Wigletbill

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Wal-mart does what is good for Wal-Mart....

Listen, they want an exclusive deal. They do NOT want mom and pop shops selling records at the same price as they do. They are selling these at a loss, as the article states in order to:

1: get people in the stores
2: undercut any competitor

Walmart wants to be the only game in town and they have the pull to do it. I could imagine them sealing this deal and still selling at a loss ($8 a cd at a loss of $2) to further dominate the market. Trust me, these guys are not fighting the 'good fight'. Remember, these were the same guys who were selling prescription drugs at a loss to undercut all competitors and dive them out of business... the courts stopped this. This is also a company who does more business trade with China than the entire Eropean Union... and it is all imports. Bad Wal-mart......

I do understand the inevitablility of technology advancing to the point where small record stores will be forced to close their doors but Wal-Mart is also a contributing factor. I have seen my two favorite stores shut down as a direct result of this BEFORE P2P and iTunes. Hey, I understand... it happens. I just don't ant people thinking that Wal-Mart is doing this for the good of humankind. They never have.

J

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
nagromme said:
Yeah, I boycott Wal-Mart, and their Lowes stores too. Censored CDs is the tip of the iceberg. Treatment of women and other minorities, driving better places out of business, etc. etc.... seems like every week I hear a new reason to stay away from them. Most important of all... annoying ads that make me queasy!

K-Mart all the way :D

This is off-topic, but could you please provide a link to some credible source that indicates that Wal-Mart owns any Lowe's stores. I have seen other people throw this statement about, but no one has offered any proof.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
so.. basically an album costs less on WalMart than iTMS? What reasons are left for using the music store, then.. apart from its simplicity, of course..

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
RHutch said:
This is off-topic, but could you please provide a link to some credible source that indicates that Wal-Mart owns any Lowe's stores. I have seen other people throw this statement about, but no one has offered any proof.

You won't, because they don't...

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
A few facts to keep in mind about Wal-Mart:
1) They are China's number four trade partner, compared to all entities - nations, countries, or anything else. Only three countries outrank them in importing from one of the nations with the worst human-rights violations in their industries.
2) They are currently under a massive, company-wide class action lawsuit for their treatment of female employees, ranging from harassment and abuse to financial and promotional discrimination.
3) They use predatory site location, picking areas with multiple municipalities so that they can sic them on each other to get the best breaks in utilities, zoning, taxes, and so on. Meanwhile, as previously noted, they will undercut anyone they can to drive all competition out of business.
4) They routinely abuse workers by hiring low, keeping them low, and skimping on any benefits possible. There's another lawsuit pending in regards to unpaid overtime and labor law violations.

When you buy "cheap" from Wal-Mart, you are condoning and encouraging their behavior.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hey, it's nice to see Walmart exerting its huge influence - but what does it matter to me? I don't buy CDs anymore, EVER. Nor do I buy stuff from the iTMS very often - the vast majority of that music doesn't interest me at all.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
RHutch said:
No, he can't provide a link, because Wal-Mart doesn't own Lowes. It's a commonly held misconception. I'm not sure where it originated.

EDIT: Just realized that t300 already commented on this.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
jbembe said:
Exactly. About friggin' time for competitive CD sales. Hopefully this won't end up squeezing the artists even more. Oh, and I like clean CDs because every one in a while I like a rap song, but I don't wanna hear strings of expletives for minutes at a time. That doesn't entertain me. ;)
If it's competition you're interested in, then you're taking the wrong side.

Wal-Mart isn't interested in "competitive CD sales". They're interested in monopolistic business practices that will cripple competitors in the long-run.

Honestly, I don't know how they get away with selling CDs at a loss. I thought the FTC is supposed to protect against things like that. But then, Wal-Mart is one of the most politically active corporations in the country.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
frozenstar said:
No, he can't provide a link, because Wal-Mart doesn't own Lowes. It's a commonly held misconception. I'm not sure where it originated.

EDIT: Just realized that t300 already commented on this.

I know where it comes from...

Simply the fact that their color schemes are quite similiar.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
aside from getting into politics about wallmart, this is [bleepin] fantastic! the labels are such freaking greedy bastards, it's really terrible.

the way they break down there cost/profit numbers reminds very much of the phone company where no one really knows what some of costs are actually for (call you phone company and the customer rep probably won't know either when you ask). looking at this from the numbers given, without the labels profit included it adds up to 14.29 in costs. lets take out retail overhead, cause i don't know wtf that's supposed to be and would seemingly go into the packaging/marketing categories. now were looking at $10.40 and even that is ridiculous. considering i can buy a dvd cheaper than a cd, which one would expect to have higher costs involved, it's pretty obvious the labels are full of [bleep].

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
RHutch said:
Good question.

My source is being told enough times to believe it--but with some reasons to back that up, too. Like hearing some bad things about Lowes employee treatment that fits what I hear (and read: women are suing them for pay equality) about Wal-Mart. And yes, the color-scheme thing--it's quite a match :) Also the fact that everywhere I have been, the two stores are side-by-side or nearly so--sometimes sharing a building. And there's often a "Murphy USA" gas station that goes with them--ALSO in Wal-Mart's colors. That's a lot of coincidence--it's no wonder people think the two (three) are related.

If it's all coincidence, though, I'm glad to know it. (Or if I still don't know either way, at least I know I don't know!) A little research reveals that Murphy USA is not owned by Wal-Mart, but does partner with them. Maybe Lowes too? I wouldn't mind removing Lowes from my Wal-Mart boycott, even though I seldom shop at big home centers anyway.

(Even more OT, but it looks like Wal-Mart is trying to force NetFlix out as well :( I don't think they'll succeed--they'll never have NetFlix's selection.)

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
eh? That's $9 right there... Overhead??? Label & Retail profit was already itemized, so this doesn't make sense. And lots of older CDs without current marketing promotions still cost $15.99.

$2.40 Marketing/promotion
$2.91 Label overhead
$3.89 Retail overhead

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
Welcome the real world of business -

The record companies are like baseball, they may be separate entities but they operate like a legal a monopoly. Independent music stores have been dying out for a while now, like auto repair at a gas station - imagine that.
Walmart is just pushing the needle deeper.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Poff said:
so.. basically an album costs less on WalMart than iTMS? What reasons are left for using the music store, then.. apart from its simplicity, of course..
How about that Wal*Mart's store only sells in protected WMA format, which you can't play on your Mac. (The Mac version of Windows Media Player still has no support for files with DRM.)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
shamino said:
How about that Wal*Mart's store only sells in protected WMA format, which you can't play on your Mac. (The Mac version of Windows Media Player still has no support for files with DRM.)
Unfortunately, Microsoft can't/won't do Windows Media for Mac properly. I have no idea why, and it makes me stay away from it on both Windows and Mac OS. The other thing about Wal*Mart's store is that it isn't much different from the other WMA stores - the price and the edited albums are the major differences.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
macnulty said:
The record companies are like baseball, they may be separate entities but they operate like a legal a monopoly. Independent music stores have been dying out for a while now, like auto repair at a gas station - imagine that.
Walmart is just pushing the needle deeper.
It's not just the record companies... it's becoming true of every industry in the country. The natural evolution of capitalism leads to the formation of coalitions of production, but none of consumption. Capitalism doesn't seem so different from communism when you look at it through this lens. Instead of the state controlling the means of production, industry associations do. I'm a political science major and I can tell you that much of what I'm seeing and reading does not bode well for the future of this country. Anyway, this is getting off topic...

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
FosterKanig said:
Variety. Apple has 10x the number of songs.
Exactly. And I suggest it will get harder to find esoteric or minority interest content on CD, while it will become easier to find it online. SJ has indicated that much music exists in the vaults of record companies, that could be profitably sold in iTMS one day, which would never see the light of day otherwise.