This is absolutely insane

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by smallcoffee, Aug 21, 2016.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Link

Absolutely insane. There's no other way to describe this. I don't mind so much the taxes for cities/towns whatever. But taxing Uber/Lyft and just giving the money to taxi drivers doesn't make any sense. I hope Uber and Lyft fight this.

Better yet, it was a Republican that signed this into law. LOL

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Surely it would be better to level the playing field by making all the drivers subject to the same regulations and the same inspection regime?

3. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks fine to me. The regulations were dumb to begin with.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Regulations kill the economy.

But are not regulations for companies the same way laws are for people? For some form of protection and consideration? Will people want to live in an entirely unregulated paradigm? Or will they need to experience it first? But surely someone had experienced it, otherwise laws would not have been created?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2016 ---
    Some regulations can be dumb. Which are the ones you called "dumb"?

5. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Idk you'd have to list all the regulations. I was responding generally to a general statement.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who is the money going to go to when taxis are obsolete? Even with a 20 cent increase uber is cheaper.

7. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently it goes away after 5 years, and then the money goes to the cities and towns, and then it goes away.

In reality it will just never go away. Likely it'll be increased to 25 cents so towns and taxis get the money.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Some regulations are important. Some are not. The government seems to put foolish regulations in place. (Like this one), and remove important regulations (Like Glass Stiegel, for instance).

The traditional taxi companies need to adapt or die.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Republican in name only. In Massachusetts, a Republican is a more conservative Democrat while a true Democrat is more liberal :).

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

If Uber and Lyft are breaking laws then someone needs to enforce the laws. It is nuts to just make them give money to taxi companies.

11. jerwin macrumors 65816

Or maybe not. How do you define liberalism? How do you define conservatism?

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I can't wait until autonomous vehicles put taxi companies out of business in the next decade.

13. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

The cities of Mass. promulgate most of the hackney regulations. The taxi companies won't give up their government enforced monopoly easily. Here's a link to Boston's regulations -- https://www.cityofboston.gov/TridionImages/Rules_tcm1-3045.pdf

There might be more of them elsewhere, 'the environment, etc..', for Boston and certainly there's whatever the state's piece of the action is, as well.

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

In some places don't taxi's get taxed on calls or flag downs? Why shouldn't Uber/Lyft have to do the same?

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The squabble between cabbies and Ubers has to do with the limited number of cabs allowed in a city. E.g., for an independent to buy a cab "medallion" in NYC costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, since you can only buy an existing medallion (license). Same deal for a bar's liquor license in San Francisco or in Florida. No medallions needed for Uber.

IOW, governmental restraint of trade.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And then what will taxi drivers do?

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Cities make millions selling taxi medallions to commercial cabs. They keep the taxi numbers artificiality low so they can charge a fortune for the medallions. The taxi unions are 100% behind this scheme. It's organized government-union graft and it's perfectly legal. Uber and Lyft are existential threats to this corrupt business model.

They will do the same thing as Zeppelin pilots, plague doctors, and telegraph operators: adapt.

18. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Other stuff. Service the fleet of cars?

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have a car that needs servicing every 10-15k miles, after which I take it to the garage and one man spends a day looking at it.

If I was a taxi driver I guess I'd get my car serviced more often, but still you only have a tiny fraction of the jobs in servicing that you do in driving.

What low skill jobs are there open for taxi drivers etc to do that aren't going to also be automated away?

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe show up in the rain instead of vanishing or hanging out in Central Park when umbrellas pop open?

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well somewhat along the line of leveling the playing field, a new law passed in April just went into effect in NYC on Friday; it says that all taxi drivers (medallion, livery, other for-hire) are now officially free of requirements to speak English. Not that you thought that requirement ever officially existed anyway...?

Excerpt:

It is the latest big change for cab drivers as policymakers and regulators try to adapt the city’s requirements to demographic and technological changes. The legislation created a single license for all taxicab and for-hire vehicles and eliminated the English language proficiency test, according to a New York City Council website.

The Council described the requirement as “a significant barrier to entry to driving a taxi” in a statement announcing the bill and other related legislation in January.

New York is home to nearly 144,000 active drivers of medallion cabs, livery cars and other for-hire vehicles, according to a 2016 report from the Taxi and Limousine Commission. Over 90 percent of those drivers are born outside the United States.
    Yah. I think the thing the city council may have missed here is that 90% of the taxi-riding population may or may not have been born in the USA but certainly do not speak every Asian, African or Middle Eastern dialect known to man. Still, never mind, we'll study up real soon now to meet the possible challenges.

Personally I haven't found lack of more than basic English a problem with taxi drivers in NYC. That could be because I have usually been traveling in the part of the city that's laid out more or less sanely, with avenues running north and south, streets east-west, and only the majestic Broadway wandering wherever it felt like. Oh, and the weird intersection of West Tenth and West Fourth streets, but that's just meant to let you know you're in the Village and that from there on south, the grid turns into squash so time to get out of cab and walk around to enjoy the chaos.

22. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I guess I don't know what else to say. They can become Uber/Lyft drivers until those cars are automated I guess, or fill some niche that Uber/Lyft don't.

I'm the same regarding the car. I have a Honda Civic that I'm just going to drive into the dirt.

23. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Eliminating jobs is a pastime practiced by the ever so hypocritical liberal progressives. Adept at saying one thing and doing the opposite, they've got their supporters hoodwinked.

24. 1458279 Suspended

As I understand it, Uber and Lyft didn't start off as a DIY taxi, they started off as a ride sharing app. There's a real need for having a trusted ride sharing app. I thought the original idea was to coordinate empty seats with people you would trust to give a ride to.

The VC's turned it into a big business by making it a DIT taxi thing. It was cutting into regular taxis business which used to be to help people that needed transportation and now is a way for the government to regulate and make money.

Same thing with AirBNB and others that share rooms. The whole disrupt economy is going just finding some over-priced over-regulated market and bypassing it with mobile solutions and cashing in.

The government needs to come to terms with how much they are costing America in all their taxes and regulations. Doesn't matter if it was signed by a RINO or a Dem, it's still big government looking for someone else's money to spend.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

green is purple and trump is a statue.