This is dumb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoleo, Mar 8, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Why can't just close all of the apps at once????

[​IMG]

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's a two step process. To get the "close all apps at once" slider you must hold down the sleep button for about three seconds.

slidetopoweroff.jpg

And waiting for the "you're not really closing them" comments in 3... 2... 1...

6. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't understand this part of iOS multitasking.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't like it and still bitter about it changing. ;)

Those are your recently used applications. IIRC there are four states an application can be in. If an app isn't being currently used, with very few exceptions the apps in that list are either suspended and and only their state is saved using very little memory or (I can't remember the term - maybe Purged) where all of the application's memory footprint is reclaimed by iOS in a low memory situation.

So they don't need to be closed, but they can be removed from that list which removes any memory that might be held for them (if they are suspended). The exception would be an application that's allowed to "run" in the background. I would consider that app to be closed when removed.

8. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know, it just feels like I'm leaving my shoes untied.

But I guess it works. I still don't know why you can't just quit all though.

9. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

I have remove background from Cydia.

Just one tap and all the multitasking apps are closed at once. Pointless at first but as I got used to it, it is an incredibly useful tweak.