This is hilarious - now France advices users to steer away from IE

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ss957916, Jan 18, 2010.

1. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Agreed they must be hating it, however all browsers have security flaws. It just so happens that this particular security flaw is with IE, next time it could be with Safari or Firefox.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's just MS styled FUD.

The problem is, with Firefox browser market share at very similar level as IE, there are no major problems.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

link

Over double the amount of usage share, taken from here.

4. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Why should I use IE 8.0 when:

1) Firefox has all those great extensions.
    2) Chrome is lightning fast compared to IE.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Always have two browsers from disparate code bases. Just in case.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's nice that they're encouraging "users" to find alternatives to IE, but in places where IE is firmly entrenched (for example, the US Government) it's not an option. Props to France and Germany for having that flexibility, though.

8. ArrowSmith macrumors regular

The issue is not IE has security flaws, all browsers do. The issue is it's an outdated-looking bloated pig. BTW, so is Firefox. Chrome is blazing fast because it's WebKit based, BUT does not have the feature set of Firefox YET. Now that Chrome has extensions, I feel it will catch up to Firefox feature matrix within 3-4 months tops.

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im not going to argue with you over sources of stats. If I had the time Im sure I could find legitimate sources. I was just demonstrating that IE has a much bigger user base than you thought.

BTW the spaghetti monster is a very interesting read :D

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Everything in the FSM article is completely factual, it's not as if the article is written from the point of view that FSM is an actual entity.
    You might as well say,

Anyone can write anything on wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_trek

11. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Firefox has had a number of "major" security flaws in the years it's been around.

12. ArrowSmith macrumors regular

Not to mention FF is a bloated single-process pig. Chrome & IE8 are already superior to it.

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It's getting better. We at least have Firefox as an installable option on our standard Vista image now. Up until a couple of years ago, Firefox was completely banned. Now, if we could just convince our users that the Big Blue E does not equal the internet. :)
    No kidding. I'm a big fan of Firefox, and have used it since 1.something, but I am getting fed up with it.

Firefox 2.0: "Not as many memory leaks!" Uhh, not exactly.
    Firefox 3.0: "Uses less memory, more stable!" Uhhh, nope.
    Firefox 3.5: "Less of a memory hog! More stable!" Suuuuure.

If it weren't for the sweet extensions, I would ditch Firefox. Of course, I really don't like Safari, so I don't really know what I would use in its place.

14. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Everyone should abandon IE, period. Not just IE6. All of it. It's not standards compliant, it's got a horrible security track record, and for some retarded reason it doesn't use Gecko or Webkit. It's total garbage.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are other users allowed to post Microsoft and Google bashing threads? I though that was your exclusive. :D

16. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

They should advice against using Windows too.:rolleyes:

17. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Australia joins the party

Wow. Who's next?

http://www.neowin.net/news/australian-government-joins-in-warns-users-against-ie

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/19/2795684.htm

Australian government joins in, warns users against IE

By Sam Symons

Last week, the government of Germany asked users to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser, due to a security flaw that could prove very dangerous. Since then, the French government has asked those who use the browser to switch to a new one immediately, just before the Australian government also warned its citizens of the flaw.

According to ABC News, the Australian government warned users to switch to another browser, or else remain at risk of having their passwords and information stolen. Mark Gregory, a senior lecturer in network engineering at RMIT University in Melbourne, said this was wise advice. He stated, "There are other browsers that are available, that appear to be being targeted less by the hackers and by these organizations than what Internet Explorer is being targeted. I don't think there was any interference in what they said that Internet Explorer was any more deficient in terms of security than any of the other browsers, just that it was being targeted more. On that basis, you'd have to argue that if security was a principal concern then using another browser would be wise until the incident is reduced."

Gregory also believes that governments and major industries are not well prepared for the threats on the Internet. The threats are changing constantly, and the Internet itself is unregulated, leaving it a dangerous place for those who aren't sure about what they're doing (and sometimes, even those who do). The Australian government's 'Stay Smart Online' initiative has posted instructions on how to lessen the threat, if one doesn't want to make the change to another browser.

18. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

19. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

It's odd that this is all happening so suddenly. This isn't the first time IE has had a serious flaw.

Might be a watershed moment, though.

20. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Oh, so because Google decided to make a multi-process browser, that is the only way to write good software ? Come on. :rolleyes:

Firefox may be a single process, but it's multi-threaded. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

And IE8 superior to Firefox ? Seriously, IE8 is pure garbage. Not only did it break IE6 compatibility even in IE6 rendering mode, it's not even up to snuff on standards. Talk about broken.

21. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

aint that right!! lol :p

unfortunately its integral to businesses apparently.. so no getting rid of it now. its almost as bad as the virus itself (a human one at least).. once its in there, its never coming out!!

Darn!!

PTP

22. gibbz macrumors 68030

It would for me. I develop for my university's website and few other small ones and IE gives me the largest problems hands down by not being fully standards compliant. I wish all of IEs would go away or that MS would make something worth using.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It's probably because of all the publicity that Google generated. The massive attack that hit Google and others recently was due to a zero-day exploit in IE. Yeah, there have been other flaws before, but none have gotten quite so much publicity.

24. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

zero-day exploit ? Not really :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8469632.stm

Typical Microsoft. :rolleyes: