This is how apple needs to do it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sebyrd, Apr 3, 2012.

1. sebyrd macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

Keep the current iPhone size and upgrade as usual every year. Now introduce a new iPhone with 5" screen along side the current iPhone 3.5" screen. You then get the market of people that only use android for the larger screen and you now have a choice , it's the perfect fit.

2. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I hope that they do this as well, except replace 5.0" with 4.3". Something tells me that is too much of wishful thinking though...

3. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Thats going to happen sooner then later. They will have a 5-7 inch device to compete with the Kindle Fire and Note to satisfy the growing number of people who want a bigger iPhone or a smaller iPad. I would guess it would be priced between the iPhone and iPad, like $249-$299. In fact, I think it may be announced as early as June at MWC. Then they will release the new iPhone in Oct.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

the thing about any increase in screen size is that it's still going to have to be a 960x640 resolution.

so I don't really see apple jumping to 5"

maybe 4" or 4.5" at the most.

5. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Why? They increased resolution on hundreds of thousands of apps when the iPad came out and then did it again not even 2 years later for the new iPad. It can be done rather easily.

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well when the first ipad launched, it was a new device, with new apps.

When they upgraded the resolution of the iPhone and iPad, they did it in a convenient way.

the vertical and horizontal resolution were each doubled. So apps would still appear the exact same as older iPhones (each pixel now represents 4 "retina display pixels")

So no app ever had to be updated, and it would still appear the exact same. However if you wanted to upload -2x art for your app, your app would look great on the retina display.

If they made the new iPhone have an odd resolution apps would not display natively, and would need to be recreated for the new iphone.

Don't count on it happening unless apple somehow finds a way to make a 5" 1920x1280 display.... which is probably years away.

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I welcome a larger screened iPhone and will be happy if they produce one. I however think 5" is a bit large.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have a virtual home button, and increase the screen to 4-4.5 and I'll be a happy man. If Apple do not increase the screen size I will stick with my 4S. I can think of nothing they would do that would persuade me to upgrade otherwise.

It's been an expensive few months, and although I like to keep up to date, Im not about to buy another iPhone with the same size screen.

9. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I doubt a new 5-7 inch device will have the iPhone name attached to it, it will be a separate device. I think iNote would have been perfect but Samsung got to that first :(