This is how I hold my phone.. No Signal Loss.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion, Jun 24, 2010.

1. fuzion macrumors 6502

Well.. kinda goofy to do this but thought maybe it would help people; this is how I held my 3G and on the iP4 I have no issue.. Kind of a '360' of where my fingers are at.
    (To Clarify: I'm a lefty.. photos were taken w/ my laptop cam so they are reversed. I did flip the two photos showing signal level.)

This is when i'm looking at the screen and using the device:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is how I hold it when I have the phone to my ear:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again.. goofy thread.. but.. maybe it will work for some of you :)

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

lol. yeah I hold it about the same. I doubt this has caused anyone an issue well casually USING the phone. just after all the videos people are sitting home touching the sides seeing the bars drop and freaking out. you have to actually TRY to do it for it to happen. this whole thing is totally blown out of proportion.

4. fuzion thread starter macrumors 6502

took pics quickly using my built in laptop cam

5. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Ohh

6. fuzion thread starter macrumors 6502

... photos flipped so they aren't confusing =p

7. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

I hold mine the same way and unfotunately each and every one of those ways causes me to lose all signal and lose all phone functionality.

8. fuzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Dunno what to say.. as you can see in my pics the way I hold it isn't 'connecting' any points of the antennas.. Phone doesn't drop any bars when I hold it like I always have.

9. foot56 macrumors regular

The problem does not show up with 5 bars as you show there. It's when the phone has 3-4 bars.

10. i-Engineer macrumors member

My phone went from 5 to zero bar

11. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

Mine goes from 5 bars to "Searching" within 30 seconds of picking it up.

12. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Crazy. We have to hold the phone just so so as not to drop the call.

13. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

I don't care about seeing bars go up and down. The fact is that this phone dropped almost every call I made today and that never happened with the 3GS. So I hooked up my headset and calls were missed while the phone was in my pocket. So I don't even see a bumper fixing this. I am really torn.... I love this phone. But it should make and receive calls reliably.

14. fuzion thread starter macrumors 6502

Negatory on that.. observe me purposely covering both gaps on the antennas:

[​IMG]

In other threads I reported mine works fine, and it does, because of how I hold it.. however if I hold it the 'wrong' way I run into the same problem.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You are also using it when all these people are activating their iphones, excited to get it, and probably are using them a lot more than they normally would (new toy, gotta try it out!).

16. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Pretty much hold it the EXACT same way...no problems unless I "try" to cover the band up.

17. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

That doesn't happen to mine if I cover both gaps. In fact, I don't lose a single bar, but my screen is more yellow than the French Army.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I have a similar style but I'm more thumb and less palm when I hold it so I guess that helps too.

19. Croads32 macrumors newbie

I dont know why people are having so many problems. I got my iphone4 yesterday and i havent had any problems with it . I can hold it any way and its still fine. I even trying to cover the sides with both hand and i still had four bars.

20. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Its the coating theory im telling you guys its true!

21. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Whether I'm holding the phone to make a call or browsing the Internet or messing with apps, I have no loss in reception at all.

IMO everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm with Jobs, it's not a big issue, sorry.

22. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

its only when the 2 antennas on the left touch, your hand acts as a bridge when u touch both. if u touch with separate fingers it doesn't matter because the signal wont travel finger to finger. but when the bottom part of your hand (one piece of "meat" and not separate fingers) it is very close. this messes up the antennas reception. but if ur in a very good reception area u wont see to much loss or non at all, this is why some are affected and some not. this explanation has been proven so don't doubt me, a couple of users have tested this including me so your welcome LOL, for a simple fix get thin clear tape or a case.

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

Amen.

I don't hold my phone like that anyway. I'm a lefty when it comes to writing, but my right is the stronger arm, so I talk on the phone mostly with my right. I hold it with the middle and ring fingers at the middle part of the side and the pinky at the bottom as safety to prevent from slipping/falling. I never grip it the way it was shown on YouTube. And sometimes I hate the screen pressed against my face, so I use the earplug/mic or the speakerphone. It is not an issue to me.

It is like heading to the direction where an accident happened in the freeway. Most already knew the issue with signs or in TV but still go close to the site anyway. Can't avoid it, that was the only way they know how to get to their destination. Since I used a different route to get there to the same destination, it never was a problem to me in the first place.

24. AldoRay macrumors member

Well, I have learned that the bars don't really mean much. I hold my iPhone 4 the "wrong way" at home, and I go from 5 bars to 0 or even NO SIGNAL once. HOWEVER, I tried it at my friends house, started with 5 bars and stayed with 5 bars. Same thing happened in a restaurant today, started with 5 bars, hel it the wring way, nothing happened.

It only happens at home for me which tells me that my 5 bars at home aren't nearly as strong as 5 bars at other places.

And I've said this before, but it is worth repeating, my iPhone 3GS did the same exact thing.

25. Despacio macrumors member

Those pictures at the bottom where your holding the phone with just two fingers and a thumb, I could and would never hold a $600 phone like that. When I try it it feels like the phone is on a teeter totter. I have to use my ring finger and pinkie on one corner to provide full support for the phone.

It's so silly and stupid anyways to be talking about how we do, and how we should hold our mobile phones, this should not even be a discussion for such an expensive device. Way to go :apple: