This is how religious fundies want to help out starving haitians!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Jan 25, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...r-powered-bibles/story-fn3dxity-1225821184929
    AS international aid agencies rush food, water and medicine to Haiti's earthquake victims, a US faith-based group is sending Bibles to Haitians in their hour of need.

These are solar-powered audible Bibles that can broadcast the holy scriptures in Haitian Creole to 300 people at a time.

Called the "Proclaimer," the audio Bible delivers "digital quality" and is designed for "poor and illiterate people", the Faith Comes By Hearing group said

and the kicker.....

http://gawker.com/5451086/john-travolta-to-airlift-desperately-needed-e+meters-to-people-of-haiti
    Scientologists have mobilized to seize on the promotional and recruitment opportunities presented by the horror going on in Haiti, and John Travolta has personally arranged to fly "volunteer ministers" to Haiti to inflict his junk science on victims there.

Anywhere people are suffering, Scientology's yellow-shirted "volunteer ministers" can be found lurking near news cameras and claiming to help people with their bull**** technology. They performed "purification rundowns" on recovery workers sifting through the ruins of the World Trade Center after 9/11, administered "touch assists" to victims of the tsunami, distributed literature after the Virginia Tech shooting, and are on the ground in Haiti right now warning the starving, dehydrated populace about the dangers of psychiatry.

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Just making sure I've got this straight. Based upon the linked article, as well as the faith-based group's own web site, this is an organization that was donating electronic bibles before the earthquake. Post earthquake, they are continuing to donate bibles, and are also donating food. What a bunch of evil jackdicks.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The article doesn't state they were on their way BEFORE the earthquake, just already on their way as in going over there now (as of the article date).

What is ironic is that my employer blocks this group's website, so I couldn't check it out. :p

4. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

This is old news. Ever wonder why missionaries spend so much time in Africa, India and other countries filled to the brim with suffering, un-educated and hungry people? It's because those in need will believe anything, and religious people have known this for quite some time.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As long as they stay out of the way of rescue and support efforts, they can hand out pentacles and condoms for all I care. I kind of wonder how much the Scientologists think they can make "reconditioning" people who have no money.

6. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

^Agreed

I'm sure people in Haiti will appreciate these offerings.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, it seems like the return on investment isn't that great. All Scientology cares about is getting money from people, and it's not like any Haitians have the kind of cash Tom Cruise does :rolleyes:

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Blocked because it is a bandwidth hog? That's what I got.

The article also doesn't mention food. I'll have to take his word that the group's site asserts that point as well.

Two points of my own:

1) I don't see an issue with distributing Bibles. There is a sizable Christian population in Haiti (96% according to the CIA but with the caveat that half the population practices voodoo - not sure how those numbers work), and in a time of calamity, it is only natural to seek comfort from that which gives you comfort. For many, comfort can come from knowing that you are not alone, etc, that religion provides. An audiobook bible is the kind of thing that would help, while utilizing no resources since it is solar powered.

2) Three hundred is a rather specific number. An audible range would make more sense. I mean, does it have an infrared sensor and cut off if it detects 301 people?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Solar-powered bibles actually sound kinda cool :).

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

All Christian bibles are powered by the Son. This is nothing new.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

haha bam :D! Nice one TLJ :)

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Not the old testament ;)

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Thanks man. I'm actually pretty proud of that one. :D

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If the Hatians still alive are ingenious enough they can use those solar cells to power other things like 2 way radios to aid in the rebuilding and removal effort once they tear them out of those solar powered speaking bibles. An electronic device capable of putting out enough decibels for a 300 person crowd should come in handy for more productive things if it can handle that kinda wattage shouldn't it? I say we send them 50 crates of duct tape a ton of wire coat hangers and some copies of Age of Reason translated to Creole, a box of pliers and a few thousand shovels.

17. djellison macrumors 68020

On the news yesterday - I saw footage of a Haitian Christian Minister, shouting and screaming at a congregation saying they don't need the 'white mans help'.

At the same church at the same time, they were passing the hat around in the congregation to get cash.

I felt sick.

18. Queso macrumors G4

I disagree. Unlike Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc. Scientology always comes with a price.

19. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Most people in Haiti are catholic, most people lost everything, a lot of Christians take strength from reading the bible. I think you will find a lot of people will be happy about this. Plus it will give them something other than their suffering to pay attention to, its a lot harder to be hungry if there is nothing to distract you from that hunger.

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, it's blood or money, take your pick I guess...

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Do you charge at every church session? My parents used to put 20 dollars in the basket every church service. Thats like a thousand a year.

That purpose can be served by quacks with scientology machines also.

22. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Except for the fact that Haitians aren't Scientologists.

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Nor are they Christian, but I believe that was his point.

24. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

On contraire mon fraire, 96% of the population is christian.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Only because of efforts such as these. If scientology pumps enough money in they might be able to get a large market share too.