This is how you treat campus cry bullies.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 617aircav, Apr 16, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

That was a great read, worthy of popcorn.

The students, whatever they're really protesting about, could find other means.

As for intimidation, never ask an employee that feels intimidated by a boss about the right to work without having to deal with intimidation - the "grownup" didn't really specify what sort of intimidation...

But opinion pieces injected with personal emotion from the writer are great. Pity they cross the line from being objective news into tabloid trash. All of us here babble for free. What's that writer's excuse?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Great response from The Ohio State University.

3. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

What were they protesting?

I guess these students have difficulty understanding that the building they are in is university property and they are not entitled to be there with unlimited access. Shocking someone actually has to explain to them what trespassing is and how occupying someone's administrative building might draw concerns.

Maybe it's just me but lately I've noticed a tremendous amount of entitlement by college-aged students in my own work. More than I remember even a couple years ago.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

It's not just you. I have numerous friends and family who are managers and they have accumulated some horror stories in the past few years. It's gotten so bad at one friend's company that as the whiners are quitting in a snit over having to pay their dues as the older employees did, they are actively recruiting older people, especially housewives or retirees returning to the workforce, and ponying up for additional training, because the work ethic is just so much better with the older hires.

Out of about 15 new hires straight out of college they got only ONE who actually shows up when he's supposed to show up, works without complaint, doesn't try to steal office supplies, follows proper procedure to request time off, and pitches in and stays late during a crisis and doesn't complain that he's not making the same amount as employees who have worked there a decade and proven themselves. It's freaking ridiculous.

My husband and I were raised up with the mantra that the world owes you nothing but a kick in the ass, so you'd better be ready to bring your A-game to whatever you do. And that has served us both very well and we live very well as a result. We pass that teaching to the kids in our family and extended family because the last thing we want is to see any of our kids rendered infantile by an attitude of entitlement. It's not just a college kid problem, we have seen the occasional people our own age just as bad and the results are never pleasant, least of all for the person practicing such attitudes.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

No. It's not the college kids.

It's the professors, politicians and people in charge. They are grooming a generation of disturbed lunatics.

In the past they didn't take crazy people serious. They just told them to **** the **** up and go away.
    Now they cater to them ...

It becomes increasingly clear that the inmates have taken over the asylum.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

More like the children have taken over the day-care center.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

As grumpy mom has stated: This isn't about the children/college kids.

The problem are the adults who enable them.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

True, Meister. My point is that being an adult in terms of years does not necessarily equate to being an adult in terms of rational and realistic intellect. Well over 21 but thinking like a high school sophomore.

10. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

So in the "demands" document (it's linked in the comments), there's this doozy:

Hahaha ...

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't the main problem with the young that we aren't anymore?

12. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I think there is going to be a problem with any person if they aren't held to a high standard of respect for others, taught the value of hard work and that your self esteem comes from your efforts and accomplishments and facing down challenges and overcoming hardships. Self esteem and happiness isn't something that anyone can confer upon you. It's something that's built by making the best possible choices to get through the crap that life throws at you.

I think the problem we are seeing with some young people especially in the colleges is that somewhere along the line people of my generation gave them this idea that the world must be bent to cater to everyone's feelings and perspectives. I understand my generation wanted to build a more nurturing and compassionate world for our kids but we screwed up and now we have people who can't even bear to hear an opposing viewpoint. They don't know what to do with it.

People who are coddled when they are growing up become infantile adults who can't handle criticism or challenges or even other people's opinions. They become defensive and make everyone out to be the villain and the reason for their failures.

As a mother and aunt and mentor to the children in my family I want to make the pain stop when the kids come to me with tales of being treated unfairly or of working hard and still finding disappointment or lack of recognition for their efforts. I could just charge in there and try to fight their battles for them. Isn't that what making the world a better place means--using my power as an adult to ease the way?

Or so one might think. But I've done a lot of observation before I actually became a mother. I saw that is actually counter productive to try to ease anyone's way in life. It doesn't produce a stronger happier person. It produces someone who thinks if they whine and complain circumstances will flow in their favor. And if not, they retreat.

So when the kids do come to me with complaints and worries I listen and I offer comfort. And I insist they sit down and think things through with brutal honesty, even if it means they have to confront a fault within themselves. But I never do them the disservice of saying it should be easy. I just tell them it's possible to become a better version of themselves if they choose to and really think about their choices, actions and potential consequences.

And they know better. There has been a lot of cancer in the family and because of charitable endeavors we have friends whose children battle pediatric cancer. You don't see a child fight through something like that and labor under the delusion life should be a picnic or that it's all about you.

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

we like ot blame kids but are we not seeing the same thing on evangelical churches and the republican GOP. persecution of their faith forced to help others they don't like loosing their rights.

15. Eraserhead, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've met plenty of old people who are unable to cope when you challenge their beliefs too. One who had to tell me how his life was so much better than mine when I proved him wrong in a political discussion.

Another excellent example of old people being whiney would be the Greek pensioners who protested when their pensions were trimmed over €1000/month.

16. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

The brainwashing of the kids in college is politically motivated. Intervention is needed;

" I understand the social justice warrior in you and your inability to cope with anything contrary to your spoiled silver spoon fed sheltered upbringing while crying on your elitists parents 60K a year college dime.. but I would have thunk your vocabulary would have improved by now..."

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    A political zeitgeist isn't by itself proof of a conspiracy.

18. 617aircav thread starter Suspended

There is now currency in being a victim. It's now a badge of honor to have been a victim of something. The female lawyer in England who went nutts on social media after an older male lawyer complimented her LinkedIn profile pic now has a writing gig with the guardian.

19. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

the cake baker having to bake a cake a clerk having to perform a wedding.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's different.

21. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

yes because they had gobegme accounts to help them out.

22. Breezygirl macrumors regular

Breezygirl

Attached Files:

23. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

24. Breezygirl macrumors regular

Breezygirl

Yup, and it's out there shovelled out in full force with leftist governments, media, teachers, celebrities...... Scary times ahead.