This is Madness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juju01, Sep 28, 2012.

1. juju01 macrumors newbie

In the grand scheme of things, we are talking about a phone here. People waiting in line religiously, sitting up all night trying to find one in online stores - what is this? Why does Apple see this as a brilliant marketing scheme ? Launch a product, which they know is hugely popular, with limited supplies, and make people go through this crap every time. Meanwhile, they are launching in several other countries today - even when it is nowhere to be found in countries where it was first launched ?

I am bought into the Apple ecosystem - and I like the seamless operation of things between all my devices. But I must say, for the first time, upon reflection, I wonder why I buy into this Apple hype. I am a disgruntled customer of Apple at this point - This experience opens the door for the possibility to look elsewhere. They shouldn't put their customers through this nonsense. And then there is the "Apple experience" of attaching some significance to even mundane things like removing your new phone from its wrappings for the first time - and we all, in a pavlovian way, look forward to that experience - removing a phone from its box!!

Enough. I will wait for when stocks become available. When I can walk into a store and buy it like any other product. A damn shame I don't want to jump ship but I don't need this experience. Maybe, it is not such a bad idea to think about jumping ship.

2. Luckyiphonegirl macrumors newbie

3. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Don't blame Apple .... Didn't the same happen when the Nintendo Wii, XBox 360 and PS3 come out? Couldn't find one anywhere. Sometimes demand outstrips supply. That's just how it is, just more so with Apple products.

5. RocketMan76 macrumors member

I still chuckle when I think about the fact that people are paying nearly a THOUSAND DOLLARS for a damn phone.

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Availability issues are common for any popular gadget. I had several friends have the same frustration with galaxy S3 availability after its US launch. The PS3, Nintendo Wii, and countless other products in the past 10 years had similar issues too.

It's a sad fact of tech life.

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I understand what you're saying, but take a quick look at your first paragraph again, then think about this:

If you ran your own business, what you prefer: a situtation where your product sat on shelves unbought, or a situation where people were lining up around the block to get one, staying up all night to preorder one, and keeping your product in the news and in the minds of consumers for weeks after the product was first released?

Your frustration is understandable, and I don't think anyone would fault you for moving on. But Apple doesn't see anything bad in this. They may lose a handful of customers like yourself, but, as you said yourself, there's a line of people behind you.

8. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

"Doubling down on secrecy", no just halving supplies.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I don't know whether Apple really scales back on their distribution to create hype and demand... That is heresay to be honest... It could very well be true or it could be a rumor.

That being said Apple products are extremely popular right now and regardless people are going to line up because many do it for the experience and not for a shortage of inventory. And you can't argue with the numbers 2 milion pre-orders in 24 hours or whatever it was....... holding back inventory or not I think you are blaming the wrong people.... Apple does a great marketing job but its us the consumers that eat it all up and demand their products.

10. apierrec macrumors 6502

Right. I giggle harder & wonder why other people worry or find it weird or funny or take time to post in message boards about why people spend their money on such and such stuffs. :p

It's not just a phone - it's a pocket computer with a camera, music player, gaming system, streaming movies, internet, navigator, flashlight, intelligent assistant, travel guides ... you know the drill. :D

11. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

It's not just tech stuff either. I remember people getting into fist fights over cabbage patch dolls in the 80's. Stores could not keep them in stock.

In the 90's I worked in retail and often times had people grabbing at products before they could be taken out f the shipping boxes. When the Lion King came out on Video - VHS not DVD - I had a line of over 100 people standing outside the store just to buy it.

Apple products are extremely popular, demand is very high. There will be shortages.

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Love your sig :)

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm always confused by this, people have FREE WILL. I choose what I want to buy because it works for me, which Apple currently does. I'm not sure this will be the case in 5 years, and have thought about where the next move will be, but honestly, right now Apple is the best pick out of a generally bad batch.

14. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Bloody hell, reminds me of the trouble I had trying to find a cuddly TeleTubby!

15. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Personally I think you are just upset because you were unable to get your iPhone 5 because by the time you got there they were already sold out of their supply and now you have to wait for the supplies to be replenished.

16. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I honestly think Apple does their best. Maybe perhaps wait on taking pre-orders and retail purchases until they have enough for everyone but I guess they have a schedule of release and do there best to get it to everyone.

17. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

People camped out for the PS3 for over a week in some places... In Columbia, MO... They were camped out for over three days for it. Same for the Wii.

I remember the Xbox 360 selling for like $2000 on eBay because the initial launch was so limited. Hell, someone sold the empty box for like $150-$200 because people were so desperate that they didn't read the title and description.

This is nothing new...

[​IMG]

----------

It probably has to do with them waiting so long to ramp up production as well... Since they "try" to keep the rumors from spilling out by waiting as long as possible to start production (as well as working out any last minute alterations/bugs), we end up with supply limitations.

18. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Shortly after...

And...

This. This is exactly the answer to your own question. Apple sees it as a brilliant marketing strategy because it works.

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

wtf.. millions of people will buy this device in a week.

sooo since you didnt get one, you expect apple to wait another 6 months and build tens of millions of them before they launch..

ok makes sense. :eek:

20. oplix Suspended

oplix

Of course they do it. It creates artificial demand. A lot of companies do the same thing. It's not like it's illegal. Do you think diamond manufacturers couldn't just ramp up the process and create 100x more quantity? It's all about exclusivity.

People want what they can't have.

21. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

YES i love that movie

22. gopnick macrumors regular

It's bad business to take the risk of producing more units than you can sell. In general, Apple does a great job with their implementation of just-in-time production & delivery, which is the most profitable way to run a business. Shortages during product launches are generally maddening only to people who are part of the opening day hysteria (like me).

23. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

This has really not much to do with Apple. You don't have to purchase anything you don't want to. This is 100% upon your own self.
    You do not have to wait in line. Again, the onus belongs upon your own self.
    If you buy into the excitement of having something new the day it comes out, then that is your own purchase.

Of course manufacturers are going to hype up their products. It creates sales. If you're a business, do you not want to drive sales?

You also have every option available to you. Yes, every option. Don't want to stand in line? Great. Don't.
    Don't want to pay XXX? Awesome. Don't.
    Don't want to deal with Apple? Perfect. Don't.
    Anyone is more than welcome to spend their own hard earned money in anyway they see fit. Buy an android phone. They're good as well.

But please, don't jump into the water and then bitch about getting wet. You're only making it sound like you are a spoiled consumer. You want what you want, you want it now, you want it for the price you deem right, you want it 100% perfect throughout your ownership, etc.

People need to realize that the world is not perfect. Nothing is. To expect as much isn't wise. And to complain about not having it is rather immature.

*** And when I say "you" I mean us as an entity of consumers. Not you directly as a person. So please don't consider this a direct attack upon yourself.

24. oplix Suspended

oplix

25. arvacker macrumors member

Came here to say that!