This is my first iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apadden, Sep 17, 2012.

1. apadden macrumors regular

apadden

I am switching over from an HTC One S. What should I expect with iOS?

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Umm a new phone, try asking more specific questions, and/or read through all of the threads first.

3. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

The #1 thing to expect is snide remarks from people on macrumors ;)

Watch out for them and don't let them troll you with mean responses getting you mad.

Edit: See above :p

4. apadden thread starter macrumors regular

apadden

Yes, exactly. -.-

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

OR you can take a few minutes and do some research on your own. Try www.apple.com that way people won't give what some feel are snide remarks.

6. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

There's things you can expect from the phone IMO:
    - quality of materials
    - safety
    - high resale value
    - minimal frustrations
    - having to get used to doing a few things a particular way
    - great customer support
    - an ecosystem where most everything will work for your phone

Another tip: Jailbreak (when it's available) it's super simple just plug in your phone and click a button on a program and your jailbroken. It opens up a lot of possibilities and you can always reverse it in a single click with iTunes if you don't like it with no trace of it ever being on your phone.

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

You should expect the best mobile OS out there, the best user experience and you will get to use it on a beautiful well-made phone that does not feel like a cheap plasticy toy-like pos.

:apple:

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Expect never to go back to android. Also expect to spend more money on more apple products. Enjoy! I'm sure u are going to be very happy.

9. apadden thread starter macrumors regular

apadden

The one thing i'm afraid of is shattering the screen.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

From what I've experienced with HTC's UIs, you can expect a considerably more intuitive and smoother user experience. Scrolling, pinching, tapping, etc. is more fluid and responsive. Also, things are generally as they appear and icons and buttons do what they look like they should. There are fewer, if any, cryptic icons whose function isn't apparent. One of the reasons the iPhone is so successful is that it requires very little in the way of training/manual reading to use.

11. apadden thread starter macrumors regular

apadden

Yeah, I have the Retina Macbook Pro so this is my 2nd Apple investment! :D

----------

How is the screen shattering thing? I'm scared for that.

12. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

just buy a case and u should be fine.

13. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

then I suggest you don't drop it.

(And of course this is in no way iPhone-specific.)

14. LoEdge macrumors member

I had pretty much all the iPhones (except the 4s) since 2008 and i can honestly say that not once did any of the phones freeze up or lag. When the Galaxy s2 first came out i switched to that for approximately two days and then switched back to the iphone 4, in that two day i would say the galaxy s2 froze and/or lagged a good 25-30 in that two days, ill never make that mistake again. So ya you can expect for the iphone 5 or any other apple product for that matter to run flawlessly.

15. Brounmoney macrumors 6502

How about don't be a iPhone dick. People that are new to smartphones or ios need a little of help. Sorry for this moron and the rest of the apple people that think they are above you because they have an iPhone and know something.

Ok so I had an iPhone 3g and then the 4. I now have the Galaxy nexus so I went the other way from you. What you get with ios is a much easy to use os than android. If you did not like android because too much was going on then you will love ios. I love android because it was much more complex than ios. Either way I think you will see that ios is a good os that will work very smooth.

16. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Welcome to the party! :)

What to expect: Apps. Lots and lots of well-designed, gorgeous apps.

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

That is wide open question. What you might expect or experience will be way different that others. Huh?

18. schoff0310 macrumors member

schoff0310

If my 84 year old mother can handle the basics on her iPhone , you will be fine! Lol!

When the phone is released or soon thereafter, go to the ibookstore and see if there is a user guide for the phone. The last two models had one and it was free! Good luck and have fun!!!!

19. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Welcome to the iPhone world! Expect to be very excited like I was when the UPS guy came and brought me my iPhone 3G in '08, and my iPhone 4 in '10.

I go running every day with my phone and haven't shattered my screen. Don't drop it. It works for me. The only case I have is one of those free ones Apple gave me to fix my antenna issue I had. (Yes, I do have one if the phone is naked.)

20. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

my friend just swapped his IP 4 for a One S...

21. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I bought a macbook pro and I love it. Switched over from PC. Now that I'm seeing how the iPhone can sync to the mac that got me started to get into iOS more.

I did some research and the iOS is pretty amazing actually from a developer perspective.

22. apadden thread starter macrumors regular

apadden

Same here. Got the retina mbp.

23. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Nice. I'm waiting on the iphone 5 because I have to put down $750 to buy it. I have the cash but I don't want to put down cash on a pre-order. I want to walk in the apple store and pick it out.

24. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

my first iphone also, coming from a droid x2 POS - but i have two ipads 3 and macbook pros :D

25. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I have the HTC rezound. I can't wait to walk into the Apple store to buy an iphone.