This is pure madness! "Undercover officers & prostitutes"

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/hawaii-law-lets-police-have-sex-with-prostitutes/2014/03/20/75b9a0e8-b093-11e3-b8b3-44b1d1cd4c1f_story.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/21/hawaii-police-urge-lawmakers-to-let-undercover-cops-have-sex-with-prostitutes/
Police officers have a message for state lawmakers: Undercover officers need to be able to have sex with prostitutes.

It's a message they're pressing as legislators weigh a bill that would crack down on prostitution. As part of that bill, lawmakers initially did away with an existing exemption allowing officers on duty to have sex with prostitutes during investigations. But after testimony from Honolulu officers, the bill was amended to restore that protection.

The revised proposal has passed the state House and will go before a Senate committee Friday.

Authorities say they need the legal protection to catch lawbreakers in the act, and strict internal controls prohibit misconduct.

"The procedures and conduct of the undercover officers are regulated by department rules, which by nature have to be confidential," Honolulu Police Maj. Jerry Inouye recently told the House Judiciary Committee. "Because if prostitution suspects, pimps and other people are privy to that information, they're going to know exactly how far the undercover officer can and cannot go."

But critics, including human trafficking experts and other police, say it's unnecessary and can further victimize sex workers, many of whom have been forced into the trade.

Expert Derek Marsh says the exemption is "antiquated at best" and that police can easily do their jobs without it.

"It doesn't help your case, and at worst you further traumatize someone. And do you think he or she is going to trust a cop again?" asked Marsh, who trains California police in best practices on human trafficking cases and twice has testified to Congress about the issue.

It's not immediately clear whether there are similar provisions in place elsewhere either at the state law or department policy level. But advocates were shocked that Hawaii provides an exemption to prostitution laws for police, suggesting it's an invitation for misconduct.

"Police abuse is part of the life of prostitution," said Melissa Farley, the executive director of the San Francisco-based group Prostitution Research and Education. Farley said that in places without such police protections "women who have escaped prostitution" commonly report being coerced into giving police sexual favors to keep from being arrested or harassed.

The Hawaii bill aims to ratchet up penalties on johns and pimps while leaving the punishment for selling sex as a petty misdemeanor.

Police haven't said how often -- or even if -- they use the exemption. But when they asked legislators to preserve it, they made assurances that internal policies and procedures are in place to prevent officers from taking advantage of it.

Democratic state Rep. Karl Rhoads, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said Inouye's testimony convinced him to amend the proposal.

"It's a really murky area," said Rhoads, who represents a district that includes Honolulu's Chinatown, a longstanding epicenter of street prostitution. "I was reluctant to interfere in something that they face all the time. If they think it's necessary to not have it in the statute, this is one area where I did defer to them and say, 'I hope you're not having sex with prostitutes.'"

There have been instances of police being accused of victimizing sex workers across the nation. In Philadelphia, a former officer is on trial facing charges of raping two prostitutes after forcing them at gunpoint to take narcotics. A former West Sacramento, Calif., officer is awaiting sentencing after being found guilty of raping prostitutes in his police cruiser while on patrol. And last year in Massachusetts, a former police officer pleaded guilty to extorting sex from prostitutes he threatened with arrest.

Rhoads, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said he knew of no reason to believe Honolulu police are out of line.

"All allegations of misconduct are investigated and the appropriate disciplinary action taken," said Michelle Yu, Honolulu police spokeswoman, in an email.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Himm, I always thought they busted the hooker before it got that far. Unless this is some kind of "take down an empire" kind of sting. Then I'd have to know more about it to decided good or bad. Undercover cops frequently purchase drugs and use them in the name of catching criminals. I could imagine that applying to the sex trade as well, poor cop. Bet his wife or girl friend would not be happy. ;)

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I'd also like to know what the officer's spouse or significant other thinks about it.

And I wonder whether the officer always wear a condom in order to avoid spreading sexually transmitted diseases?

Seems like a prudent degree of protection.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'd also like to know what the officer's spouse or significant other thinks about it.

And I wonder whether the officer always wear a condom in order to avoid spreading sexually transmitted diseases?

Seems like a prudent degree of protection.
An absolute must, unless the guy wants to shake his fist at God and take his chances.. ;)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why is prostitution even illegal in the United States?
Valid question. IMO just another way to waste our tax dollars chasing down Hos and Johns. However the industry should be regulated to stop abuse, maintain an acceptable work environment, and prevent involuntary servitude. My impression, although I don't know much about it, that Amsterdam would be a good example to emulate.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Valid question. IMO just another way to waste our tax dollars chasing down Hos and Johns. However the industry should be regulated to stop abuse, maintain an acceptable work environment, and prevent involuntary servitude. My impression, although I don't know much about it, that Amsterdam would be a good example to emulate.
Technically prostitution is illegal im Amsterdam. I personaly dont like drugs and prostitution. It draws a bad crowd. But I think you know my opinion on governments banning stuff. :)
It leads to a whole industry for the purpose of harrasing people just for the sake of harassment like mentiond in the original post.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Technically prostitution is illegal im Amsterdam. I personaly dont like drugs and prostitution. It draws a bad crowd. But I think you know my opinion on governments banning stuff. :)
It leads to a whole industry for the purpose of harrasing people just for the sake of harassment like mentiond in the original post.
Really? I appear to be ignorant. Can I say that having a red light district, with girls on display in windows, indicates a lax attitude when it comes to enforcing some laws? :p

----------

Men need protection from sexual predators too.
Apples should be illegal.
Apples but not oranges? ;)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Really? I appear to be ignorant. Can I say that having a red light district, with girls on display in windows, indicates a lax attitude when it comes to enforcing some laws? :p

That stems from the fact that the dutch police is not legaly required to always enforce the law.
This principle is called "gedogen".
In other parts of europe even villages have a red light district and flat-rate brothels.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Eve favoured apples, allegedly.
Now I see. Thanks. :)

----------

That stems from the fact that the dutch police is not legaly required to always enforce the law.
This principle is called "gedogen".
In other parts of europe even villages have a red light district and flat-rate brothels.
Trying to imagine why, I'd guess this is so instead of having to describe in every detail what is acceptable or not, if there is some abuse going on, someone can easily be arrested. The possible problem would be this system could lend itself to bribes and kickbacks, but corruption is corruption regardless of the circumstances or the legality of an activity.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Why is prostitution even illegal in the United States?
Smart answer, to stop sex trafficking and the spread of disease. Real answer, the government can't collect tax money from the pimps and hos.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Smart answer, to stop sex trafficking and the spread of disease. Real answer, the government can't collect tax money from the pimps and hos.
Prostitution is legal in some parts of the US. Not that I'd know where...

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I am not exactly an expert on prostitution but shouldnt making it illegal further exploitation and sex trafficing?
Why can't the US government collect tax money from pimps and hos? Other governments do.
Doesnt the government spend tons of money on enforcing this bizare ban and spend tax $ on punishment?
How do the police officers live with themselves? What motivates such people? :confused:

----------

Prostitution is legal in some parts of the US. Not that I'd know where...
Nevada

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Only some parts of Nevada to be specific. It’s actually illegal in the following counties: Clark (which contains Las Vegas), Washoe (which contains Reno), Douglas, and Lincoln. It is legal elsewhere via licensed brothels, but only 8 counties have done so and there are only 19 brothels total.

Cite.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Just legalize prostitution and there won't be the need for special exemptions for cops who aren't getting laid.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Just legalize prostitution and there won't be the need for special exemptions for cops who aren't getting laid.
I assume a good portion of prostitutes are under aged. Legalizing would not stop pimps and human traffickers when you factor the under aged. I will also assume most adult prostitutes were caught up in that life when they were under aged, which pimps will still have control of if it becomes legal.

BTW ..... Do police plan on asking for I.D or proof of age before sleeping with prostitutes? And how in the hell can they pull that off without blowing their cover? Or will they not give a damn and say that the risk of police sleeping with minors is for the greater good. :cool:

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I assume a good portion of prostitutes are under aged. Legalizing would not stop pimps and human traffickers when you factor the under aged. I will also assume most adult prostitutes were caught up in that life when they were under aged, which pimps will still have control of if it becomes legal.

BTW ..... Do police plan on asking for I.D or proof of age before sleeping with prostitutes? And how in the hell can they pull that off without blowing their cover? Or will they not give a damn and say that the risk of police sleeping with minors is for the greater good. :cool:

Legalize it and regulate the hell out of it in order to be sure that everything is legit.

Think of it like where we are on the issue with legalizing marijuana and regulating it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Legalize it and regulate the hell out of it in order to be sure that everything is legit.

Think of it like where we are on the issue with legalizing marijuana and regulating it.
I wasn't arguing against legalizing it. I was arguing that, there will still be a need for police to focus on prostitution. Like under aged and forced prostitution, which is probably the majority of prostitution in America. Legalized prostitution is of will and of age. Anything else is a sex crime.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
(...) Like under aged and forced prostitution, which is probably the majority of prostitution in America. (...)
its called extortion and child labor. That exists in all 'careers'. Its not really related to prostitution.