This is pure madness! "Undercover officers & prostitutes"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Mar 21, 2014.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...b9a0e8-b093-11e3-b8b3-44b1d1cd4c1f_story.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...et-undercover-cops-have-sex-with-prostitutes/

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Himm, I always thought they busted the hooker before it got that far. Unless this is some kind of "take down an empire" kind of sting. Then I'd have to know more about it to decided good or bad. Undercover cops frequently purchase drugs and use them in the name of catching criminals. I could imagine that applying to the sex trade as well, poor cop. Bet his wife or girl friend would not be happy. ;)

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd also like to know what the officer's spouse or significant other thinks about it.

And I wonder whether the officer always wear a condom in order to avoid spreading sexually transmitted diseases?

Seems like a prudent degree of protection.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

An absolute must, unless the guy wants to shake his fist at God and take his chances.. ;)

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They wear rubber gloves at crime scenes.

;)

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I don't know about you, but 5 small johnsons doesn't sound very enjoyable or practical.

Guy should be in a circus act. :D

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why is prostitution even illegal in the United States?

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Valid question. IMO just another way to waste our tax dollars chasing down Hos and Johns. However the industry should be regulated to stop abuse, maintain an acceptable work environment, and prevent involuntary servitude. My impression, although I don't know much about it, that Amsterdam would be a good example to emulate.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Men need protection from sexual predators too.
    Apples should be illegal.

11. Meister, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Technically prostitution is illegal im Amsterdam. I personaly dont like drugs and prostitution. It draws a bad crowd. But I think you know my opinion on governments banning stuff. :)
    It leads to a whole industry for the purpose of harrasing people just for the sake of harassment like mentiond in the original post.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Really? I appear to be ignorant. Can I say that having a red light district, with girls on display in windows, indicates a lax attitude when it comes to enforcing some laws? :p

----------

Apples but not oranges? ;)

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Eve favoured apples, allegedly.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

That stems from the fact that the dutch police is not legaly required to always enforce the law.
    This principle is called "gedogen".
    In other parts of europe even villages have a red light district and flat-rate brothels.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Now I see. Thanks. :)

----------

Trying to imagine why, I'd guess this is so instead of having to describe in every detail what is acceptable or not, if there is some abuse going on, someone can easily be arrested. The possible problem would be this system could lend itself to bribes and kickbacks, but corruption is corruption regardless of the circumstances or the legality of an activity.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Smart answer, to stop sex trafficking and the spread of disease. Real answer, the government can't collect tax money from the pimps and hos.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Prostitution is legal in some parts of the US. Not that I'd know where...

18. Meister, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

I am not exactly an expert on prostitution but shouldnt making it illegal further exploitation and sex trafficing?
    Why can't the US government collect tax money from pimps and hos? Other governments do.
    Doesnt the government spend tons of money on enforcing this bizare ban and spend tax $ on punishment?
    How do the police officers live with themselves? What motivates such people? :confused:

----------

Nevada

19. pdjudd macrumors 601

Only some parts of Nevada to be specific. It’s actually illegal in the following counties: Clark (which contains Las Vegas), Washoe (which contains Reno), Douglas, and Lincoln. It is legal elsewhere via licensed brothels, but only 8 counties have done so and there are only 19 brothels total.

Cite.

20. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Just legalize prostitution and there won't be the need for special exemptions for cops who aren't getting laid.

21. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I assume a good portion of prostitutes are under aged. Legalizing would not stop pimps and human traffickers when you factor the under aged. I will also assume most adult prostitutes were caught up in that life when they were under aged, which pimps will still have control of if it becomes legal.

BTW ..... Do police plan on asking for I.D or proof of age before sleeping with prostitutes? And how in the hell can they pull that off without blowing their cover? Or will they not give a damn and say that the risk of police sleeping with minors is for the greater good. :cool:

22. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Legalize it and regulate the hell out of it in order to be sure that everything is legit.

Think of it like where we are on the issue with legalizing marijuana and regulating it.

23. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I wasn't arguing against legalizing it. I was arguing that, there will still be a need for police to focus on prostitution. Like under aged and forced prostitution, which is probably the majority of prostitution in America. Legalized prostitution is of will and of age. Anything else is a sex crime.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

its called extortion and child labor. That exists in all 'careers'. Its not really related to prostitution.

25. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

No, it's called aggravated sexual assault, rape, slavery, trafficking, and etc.