This is REALLY weird. ATI Radeon 6750M works better when VH Capture is running.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superkrups20056, Apr 28, 2011.

1. superkrups20056 macrumors member

OK, so before I begin, let me say that I've been experimenting with my (probably defective) card on another thread. But today I made a discovery that I think makes this topic deserve its own. First of all, here is the original post:

After overclocking the card to 750/950 using the ATI tray tool, I still was not getting much of a difference. The card still SUCKED on boot camp.

However, when I was about to video card capture the experience to show my problem to you guys using VH capture, the framerate jumped to AMAZING settings! I'm talking 60-70 frames per second with Thors blasting away my hydralisks! With some real action happening on the screen, the framerate has never been better...I couldn't believe it!

Then I turned off my VH capture off and went back to the game. The action was still happening, but my framerate dropped to 25-27 FPS...weird, huh?

Attached Files:

2. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Are you sure it's using the 6750 at all times, and not only when you're capturing? Maybe it's using the Intel HD3000 when you are running SC2 by itself.

3. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Try using gfxCardStatus

4. superkrups20056 thread starter macrumors member

I am trying to run Starcraft II in boot camp. This program is for Mac. Does the Intel HD 3000 even work on boot camp?

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

What's funny is I've heard of this happening (not for the 2011 MBP) but issues like this occuring on another laptop I forget. But simply having some other program, I forget atm, helped "boost" a GPU. I wanna say it was on the M11x with WMP. Anyway, it must be some driver problem. I also wonder if it's only SC2 related. Have you tested any other games? I feel Crysis 2 runs very well in bootcamp but I haven't bothered installing SC2 on Windows since I'm happy with it on OSX.

Oh also, run MSI afterburner and see if your clocks are maxing out with and without VH capture. Please report back!

6. superkrups20056 thread starter macrumors member

I wanted to review and give an exact recount of what happened.

OK, so I reinstalled the 11.4 drivers (specifically, I uninstalled current drivers via device manager, rebooted, and then reinstalled 11.4) and the same situation was happening. I do not have Crysis 2, but I encounter the SAME problem when I play League of Legends on anything above Medium settings, so I am really curious to see if Crysis 2 will actually work. According to ATI tray tools, I ran the onscreen display to check out my GPU Activity %.

I set the graphics on all 'High' settings to better notice a difference. During a Thor vs hydralisk battle in Starcraft II,

• With VH capture recording OFF, the framerate was around 20-25 FPS. The GPU Activity % was 35-40%
    • With VH capture recording ON, the framerate was around 30-45 FPS The GPU activity % was 97-99%
    • All tests were done without any overclocking.

7. ViviUO macrumors 6502

8. superkrups20056 thread starter macrumors member

I do not like the OSX version because of the mouse acceleration. Plus all of my other games are installed to the Windows side of my computer, and it is the side I generally use most.

I did another test with MSI afterburner like you requested! I charted and posted my results below.

• The tests were done without overclocking the card, as you can probably see.
    • Notice how the GPU Activity jumps dramatically when VH capture is recording the screen.

Attached Files:

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

thanks, looks like your core and memory are maxing out fine, but yeah it's funny about GPU usage increase with VH. I'll have to look at my GPU usage % when I play Crysis 2, if I remember it's pretty high. You really have to test other games to see if it's the game or the something else. It very well could also be something within SC2 but you'll have to experiment further to determine that. Good luck!

10. superkrups20056 thread starter macrumors member

I just tested Portal 1 on the very highest settings without anti-aliasing. I didn't even need to dish out VH Capture!

• The game ran at 90-120 frames per second with 99% GPU Activity WITHOUT VH Capture recording the screen. However, there was a lot of frame tearing, but the gameplay was smooth.
    • To fix the frame tearing, I turned on VSYNC. This brought the GPU activity down to 49% and the frames per second down to 60 FPS. This is probably what the setting is supposed to do, right?

Does this mean it is a Starcraft II problem?

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yes, vsync locks FPS at 30 or 60 so that's okay, it helps your GPU out to not render as many unnecessary frames too.

It's hard to say because Portal 1 is not as intensive as say SC2 is. But if your GPU activity % is even higher than SC2 without VH then maybe it tells you something there. But then again, maybe portal 1 inherently does not need as much GPU activity, I dunno.

12. superkrups20056 thread starter macrumors member

I tested League of Legends on the highest settings as well, and the GPU activity was not being utilized without VH Capture. It was the same situation as Starcraft II.

13. Necriss macrumors member

change win7 power profile to performance, see if that makes a difference.

14. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Hey I installed SC2 on boot camp about an hour ago and ran a really quick test via campaign gameplay. Via MSI afterburner in SC2 I get full 100% GPU usage while in game. So it must be some sort of weird setting you have in Windows? Win 7 64bit ultimate.

Also SC2 runs AMAZING in boot camp, even better than OSX (which is what I kind of expected). I'm importing and will upload the video shortly in the 6750 benchmark thread.

15. superkrups20056 thread starter macrumors member

Are you using a 2011 Macbook Pro? Please do post a video. I wonder if it will help if I reinstall windows...

16. aznguyen316, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yeah specs in sig. GPU is 100% max whenever SC2 is up. When I minimize is the only time the activity drops. Uploading a video now, I'll let you know when it's available =) most likely later in the morning say 10 hours from now. Gonna let it up while I sleep (slow ass DSL upload speeds) blaahh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3BBehrHmk

around the 4minute mark is when I show MSI afterburner and the GPU activity.

17. superkrups20056 thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, a little update on my situation here...it seems to be doing this when I am PLAYING ONLINE. Portal works perfectly, the CAMPAIGN OF STARCRAFT WORKS perfectly, but Starcraft ONLINE and LEAGUE OF LEGENDS online makes the GPU activity lower. Azguyen, can you confirm that your GPU activity works at 100% capacity during an online SC2 match?

18. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I will have to test when I get a chance as bootcamp for SC2 is not my main option =)

19. superkrups20056 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

20. Numino macrumors newbie

Was there any fix other then running that screen recording software while playing games?

I get this problem too in League of Legends on bootcamp but in not in OSX (hate the mouse acceleration in games though)