Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
So i had a chat with the Att people in the chat room about unlocking my phone. Then by the 16th i still didn't get the "unlock" approval so i called back and they said they were still working on the issue.

Today i get an email from AT&T:

SUBJECT: Issue Tracking Number: CM20120409_XXXXXXX

Dear Customer:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding your AT&T service. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The issue has been resolved.

Should you have any further needs regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to call us at 1 800 331-0500 and reference the tracking number shown above.

Sincerely,
AT&T

Anyone know what this means? I'm going to attempt a restore tonight when i get home from work but it doesn't sound like it got unlocked. :(

ALSO: i have been having touch screen issues where the screen doesn't recognise that its being used, would a restore fix that?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Only way to find out is back up and restore and see if you get a message. Also insert a different sim card as well to test it.

As for your last question: if you have touch screen issues such that your screen doesn't recognize your finger, it is likely a hardware fault but you can try restoring the phone and see if that fixes. If not you will have to take it in and get it replaced or fix it yourself.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How can you possibly throw a temper tantrum about not getting what you want when you relied on a chat room to remedy your issue? Go into AT&T or call them, it seems so much more effective.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
So what "issue" do you think they resolved?

I wanna unlocked phone dammit *throws temper tantrum* :)

Welcome to the wonderful world that we just don't understand...Mobile telecoms customer services....O2 here are the worst...They didn't even know what tethering was, even though they advertise the service...Oh yeah, they said I think you can do that...Iv'e been doing it since Christmas from time to time, and they didn't know? Yeah., Right...:)

Qoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
MI
just do a restore then you will see the 'Congratulations' screen in your itune, i received the exact message from AT&T last week and when i backed home, i quickly did a restore then the unlocked message pops up....

Good Luck~~ Buddy :D

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
How can you possibly throw a temper tantrum about not getting what you want when you relied on a chat room to remedy your issue? Go into AT&T or call them, it seems so much more effective.

because it was an ATT customer service chat room which is the same as going to a store or whatever.

Shadow, Thanks! :) I'll give it a try to restore and then see how it goes. Its really random so i don't even know how to replicate. When it does happen i can't even turn the phone off i have to hold home and power to turn it off, without using the sliding screen.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

I think the OP is referring to the online help thing...O2 have it too, its called " Ask Lucy" Don't bother " Lucy" knows jack! you leave the self help site more confused than when you went in...The stores are no better either, but the service and coverage are good...Small mercies I guess.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Shown below is the email I received 30 minutes after online chat with ATT. I did the restore twice but never received the "congratulations" message. I called ATT again 2 days later to inquire about the unlock. The CSA advised the message is not always received during the process. She checked their database and verified that my iPhone was indeed unlocked.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached is the information referenced during your discussion today with an AT&T representative. If you have any questions, please refer to our online support site at http://att.com/wireless.

Please do not respond to this e-mail. This mailbox is not monitored and does not accept mail.

Attachments: Completing Authorized iPhone Unlock

https://mycsp.cingular.com/mycsp/ex...pport/Wireless/iPhone_unlock_email_sample.pdf

This message, including any offer and attachments, is intended for the named recipient and may contain confidential information. No other person should rely on any offer or information in this message. If you are not the named recipient, please immediately delete this message.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
they took their sweet ass time about it but it got done. :) i got an email telling me of the unlock right after. After some heartache and mischief on the part of itunes i'm now unlocked and restored. :D:D:D (still on contract with a 4s)

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
they took their sweet ass time about it but it got done. :) i got an email telling me of the unlock right after. After some heartache and mischief on the part of itunes i'm now unlocked and restored. :D:D:D (still on contract with a 4s)

Nice! How did you pull that off? Is your phone a replacement?

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009

I have Iphone 4 and have three months left on my contract. I heard about how some people (you included) are able to get their iphones unlocked even under contract. So I decided to give it a try.
They opened a case and gave me a case number, told me to fax proof of purchase of phone and told me to except a call by 16th of April. They didnt call so I called and was told that they were still working on it. Then after two days i got the same email that you got " the case # issue has been resolved".
I called called to ask what it is and was told that my case is completed and my phone cannot be unlocked now as my contract is not yet completed.

Also just so let you guys know, my iphone 4 is a replacement. So all those of you thinking that replacements have a loophole or something, is clearly not true....

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia

Not a replacement, but i didn't get it on launch day either. LONG STORY about that too... :mad::mad::mad:

But basically to get this phone unlocked all i did was ask. :)

I did it on chat, and i knew i had to do it while things were still in chaos before ATT got their **** together and put everyone on the same page.

All i did was give them my IMEI number. I didn't mention it was an iphone 4s, just gave them the number. They asked for my phone number and i gave them my mom's number which is still on the same family plan but out of contract (shes still using a 3gs). And bam... :D:D

They just decided to hold me in limbo for a few weeks but yeah now its unlocked and i'm FREEEEE to use it overseas as i please. YIPPIE!!!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have Iphone 4 and have three months left on my contract. I heard about how some people (you included) are able to get their iphones unlocked even under contract. So I decided to give it a try.
They opened a case and gave me a case number, told me to fax proof of purchase of phone and told me to except a call by 16th of April. They didnt call so I called and was told that they were still working on it. Then after two days i got the same email that you got " the case # issue has been resolved".
I called called to ask what it is and was told that my case is completed and my phone cannot be unlocked now as my contract is not yet completed.

Also just so let you guys know, my iphone 4 is a replacement. So all those of you thinking that replacements have a loophole or something, is clearly not true....

So indeed, I was correct (nothing in particular about this thread but the other thread). Anyways it appears that even if you DO get it replaced, the remaining contract does transfer over, thus you can't unlock the iphone yet until you either fulfilled your contract or paid etf.

But then I also assume it's done by case by case from AT&T.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010

I tried but couldn't get mine unlocked. The rep stopped me right at the chat and said that I still had 1&1/2 years left so it was a no go. I saw that some people had replacements that they got unlocked but it's too much of a hassle. I think I will stick with Gevey for now.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
Nice, I also called them on the first day when this news came out. The rep didnt knew what was going on and said we all are new to this unlock process. She even told me that I am still on contract(3 months left) and said that is not a problem and she can request a unlock code for me... End of story my phone didnt get unlocked because its still under contract.

And I REPEAT, replacements have nothing to do in this process. Its all about tricking ATT if you are still under contract. The person who started the thread should have stated up front that he tricked ATT by giving them his mom's number which was out of contract.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Welcome to the wonderful world that we just don't understand...Mobile telecoms customer services....O2 here are the worst...They didn't even know what tethering was, even though they advertise the service...Oh yeah, they said I think you can do that...Iv'e been doing it since Christmas from time to time, and they didn't know? Yeah., Right...:)

I've never had an issue with O2's customer service. T-Mobile's is just utterly terrible but O2 is fine.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Nice, I also called them on the first day when this news came out. The rep didnt knew what was going on and said we all are new to this unlock process. She even told me that I am still on contract(3 months left) and said that is not a problem and she can request a unlock code for me... End of story my phone didnt get unlocked because its still under contract.

And I REPEAT, replacements have nothing to do in this process. Its all about tricking ATT if you are still under contract. The person who started the thread should have stated up front that he tricked ATT by giving them his mom's number which was out of contract.

Explain how I got mine unlocked then. All of my lines are still under contract, I gave then my imei, let them believe I bought this phone after the fact, and got the unlock. Whether they ask for a proof of purchase or not depends on the rep. There may be a second loophole where you can just use an out of contract line and hope for the best.

Honestly, it's probably just that some reps are following the guidelines to a t, and others aren't.

Ais2128

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
strange email from AT&T, too "The issue has been resolved"

got the same email today....wondering if anyone else got this email and was able to subsequently unlock their phone through iTunes, regardless of getting the official AT&T unlock email?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.