iPhone XS Max This is what AT&T 5Ge looks like in New York City

christian.terra

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
AT&T is absolutely horrid in NYC. Don't even try and use it for media consumption in manhattan. I dealt with it for years and finally made the switch to Verizon. Huge difference. The worst was when AT&T would not connect to LTE, but 4G instead and you could barely send an imessage.

jakeuten

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
AT&T is absolutely horrid in NYC. Don't even try and use it for media consumption in manhattan. I dealt with it for years and finally made the switch to Verizon. Huge difference. The worst was when AT&T would not connect to LTE, but 4G instead and you could barely send an imessage.
AT&T littered Manhattan with LAA LTE nodes. If anything, they should now be the fastest in Manhattan.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Sprint is suing AT&T over their use of 5G. According to them, AT&T is not actually providing 5G service right now, even though the symbol is being displayed for some users.
Good on them. This is unfair competition.

"5G Evolution" reads like it's even FASTER than regular 5G, which doesn't exist. AT&T must be the ****ing best, right? 5G hasn't even launched and they've already got the evolved version!!!

I hope the FTC and the FCC fine them into oblivion. **** AT&T.

Reactions: VMMan and motulist

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2014
AT&T littered Manhattan with LAA LTE nodes. If anything, they should now be the fastest in Manhattan.
I work in Chelsea. My office is deep in the bowels of a 90 year old building and I get great coverage and decent indoor speeds on my personal phone (AT&T). My work phone is on Verizon, which gets significantly better signal strength and speeds than AT&T, both upstream and downstream. In fact, AT&T's upstream speeds in NYC leave a lot to be desired.

Reactions: Closingracer

decypher44

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
iPhones won’t even be capable of utilizing 5G until 2020. They want to wait out the growing pains for the first year. Kind of surprising.

Also, as mentioned, AT&T is getting sued for their shadiness regarding labeling a network as 5G when it really isn’t yet. Especially when the phone couldn’t use it even if the network was up and fully functional.

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010
I never had that issue with AT&T in the city or Brooklyn when I had AT&T. Verizon was great but Uber expensive when Sprint at least for me works great and never slows me down using over 150GB lol

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I might be mistaking, but I don’t think the iPhone supports 5Ge. It’s just telling you that you are in a 5Ge market. No?
The iPhone XS and XS Max support LTE A, so they support 5G E.

The latest firmware makes it possible for AT&T to show you that you are pulling an LTE A signal, which they call 5G E.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Hahahahaha. What a joke! I hate that I'm stuck with AT&T. I also hate that they have the best coverage in my city which is what's keeping me with them. Lol
I left the iPhone when all it was offered on was AT&T. I tried every excuse in the book to keep it but it
was the worst service I have ever dealt with. That said, their U-Verse/home cable and internet has been the opposite, so maybe it's just the Wireless that's the issue? lol.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
The iPhone XS and XS Max support LTE A, so they support 5G E.

The latest firmware makes it possible for AT&T to show you that you are pulling an LTE A signal, which they call 5G E.
According to AT&T's Website, iPhone is not listed under supporting 5Ge or LTE-LAA. So, I'm definitely seeing mixed messages here.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
According to AT&T's Website, iPhone is not listed under supporting 5Ge or LTE-LAA. So, I'm definitely seeing mixed messages here.
They are 5Ge supported devices according to their website:
5g Evolution Phones

Even the iPhone X and 8/8Plus models are listed.

I believe the iPhone XS/XS Max are the only ones capable of supporting their "new" LTE-LAA standards that are slowly rolling out to select markets.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
They are 5Ge supported devices according to their website:
5g Evolution Phones

Even the iPhone X and 8/8Plus models are listed.

I believe the iPhone XS/XS Max are the only ones capable of supporting their "new" LTE-LAA standards that are slowly rolling out to select markets.
There are no 5Ge enabled devices available to consumers right now.

The iPhone XS, Max, and XR do not support 5Ge.

Last edited:

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
There are no 5G enabled devices available to consumers right now.

The iPhone XS, Max, and XR do not support 5Ge.
You are mistaken. 5Ge is not the same as 5G which is why there's a bunch of discussion going on regarding 5G vs. 5Ge.

I didn't say they were 5G devices, I said they they were 5Ge devices as confirmed by AT&T. The new XS/XR devices are capable of "Gigabit-class LTE with 4x4 MIMO and LAA" which is what AT&T is falsely branding as 5Ge.

XS Specs.PNG

Last edited: