This Is What Donald Trump is Doing to Our Country

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 2, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Extreme Vetting - of a seventy-year-old Australian children's book author.

Read what happened next to this woman at the hands of the oafs and thugs who've been empowered by Donald Trump's reckless idiocy. It makes me ashamed to be a US citizen:

You can read more about Mem Fox' treatment in The New Yorker

Uh, huh.

This is why I utterly despise Donald Trump. His stupidity, his ignorance, his cowardice. The utterly loathsome way he panders to foolish Americans. And the shame and disgrace he brings upon our proud nation as a result. And make no mistake about this: This sort of incident is the direct result of Donald J. Trump's doughy ass sitting in the Oval Office. His spiteful and unConstitutiona Executive Order on immigration. His reckless and dangerous Tweets. People who work for ICE take their cues from the boss.

So I see you out there, with your Trump stickers on your pickup trucks. I'd like to think you really do believe that he's going to re-open that factory that's been shuttered for thirty years. That he's really going to get the coal mines in West Virginia hiring again. You're wrong, of course. You'll find that out soon enough.

But in the meantime, this is what Donald Trump is doing to our Country.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's no coincidence that hate crimes have risen under the Trump presidency.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

I've wondered what snaps in a person's mind that provokes them to vote Trump. People of working age who lost jobs and need work may be more vulnerable to his balderdash. It's not realistic but understandable.

The ones I can't understand are the oldsters. They are retired and many rely heavily on Social Security and Medicare. Benefit cuts and vouchers would be budget busters for them. Still they were staunch Trump people. I few are haters and want him to Make America White again. Not all of them.

Many other oldsters think he can turn back the calendar to 1950 and open the factories that have been closed for decades. They don't plan to return to work so that's a puzzle.

On balance the Democratic party had a deplorable candidate. I wonder how much that contributed? Voting against one's own best interests baffles.

Social Security and Medicare may have a temporary reprieve until after the midterm elections. I don't think it will be pretty after that. Wonder how the senior voters will feel then when it's too late?

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Probably for the kids and grandkids legacy. Often times the sons will follow in dad's footsteps. Logical because if it's the only good paying job in a small town what else are you going to do? Move or work in the coal mines and factories too.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Lots of communities have been completely left behind. And the government usually treats poor people like ****.

6. jeyf macrumors 6502

his walmart wild west rhetoric will keep the republican party very alive

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

These types of stories plagued both the Bush and Obama administrations. Trying to pin this on Trump now is intellectually dishonest imo. This has been an issue for 15 years.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agree. But it seems it has got worse under Trump. And that narrative will damage tourism. And therefore the economies of the rockies.

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump has been president for 1 month. We can't say TSA has gotten worse with such a small sample size and time.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Australian children's authors weren't stopped under Obama.

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Lots of old people in wheelchairs were stopped under obama. Lots of children were stopped. The point is that this author is simply another person who shouldn't have been stopped. This author isn't special, just another person in the long line of inappropriate TSA stops. It's not unique to Trump.

Don't let your dislike for Trump cloud your reasoning. Looking at the broader picture lets you focus better.

12. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

But Trump can call attention to a deficit reduction in that time span.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Journalists now report every story of this kind. That's the difference.
    It's like when after an airliner crashes, media reports all sort of daily plane crashes that happen everyday. Everyone talks about how unsafe planes are (they're not), then media stop talking about crashes because people got bored and the feeling that planes are dropping like flies is gone.

14. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Tourism is booming in Utah where I'm from (originally). They're actually having to think of strategies to limit crowds in the National Parks at this point.

15. webbuzz, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  16. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

People were stopped at the US border under former Presidents. People get stopped at the border going into Britain, or France, or anywhere. I think there is a Discovery Channel company that makes documentaries about the operations of many different countries immigration and border security organizations. I know I've seen them about Canada, Britain, and Australia, amongst others.

But what is different under Trump is both the frequency, and the tone of operations.

In the past few weeks we've had the former Prime Minister of Iceland (with a Diplomatic Passport, no less) interrogated because he'd been to Iran. An eminent Fench Holocaust historian was "mistakenly detained" and almost deported. We've had incidents where a US-citizen, a NASA employee, was forced to give up the password to his Government-owned smartphone. We've had an incident where the son of Muhammed Ali (obviously a US-born US citizen) was detained at the border and asked about his religion.

And we have people like Mem Fox. Who has visited the US dozens of times over the past thirty years . On business - making speeches like this, going on book tours, meeting with editors and publishers. And presumably filled out her Customs Declaration card exactly the same way she did on this incident. But this time she was stopped, pulled into a cell, and screamed at because she had (truthfully) ticked a box that said the purpose of her visit to the US was "Business".

Don't anybody delude themselves this is not directly the result of Donald Trump.

17. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

His rhetoric started back with his run for presidency, so that's one and a half year of getting up to speed.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

LMAO!!!!

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

You are the delusional one.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And complaining has been going on for 15 years too. Trump is president now, so it's only right that complaints are directed towards his own actions.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

And for all that time, even until election day, we were told that he was a non factor and didn't stand a chance. And certainly he wasn't influencing TSA procedures for the last 18 months. Come on....
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    You paint the Trump supporters with a pretty broad and vile brush. If you were a right winger talking this way about lefties this post would have been deleted already and the poster would probably be on a nice "vacation" for a while.

Glad to see you are keeping in classy, buddy. Keep up the good work.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Need hard data to be sure to be fair.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I see you're running out of bad stuff you can post about Trump but still have plenty of bile. Must be frustrating, so I understand why you hyperventilated over a story that's a non-story--the TSA has been acting like low-rent gestapo for a long time (yes, even during Obama's administration!).

Since you're so concerned, check out these TSA Nightmare Stories (all of them pre-Trump). I'll be curious to know what you think once you realize that Trump had nothing to do with Mem's mistreatment, the problem is with the TSA. Will you have the decency to apologize for your misplaced ire?

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Disagree. I think we can't blame Trump specifically for continuing the status quo.

25. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Based on what criteria? Please cite proof.