This Is What Donald Trump is Doing to Our Country

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
And for all that time, even until election day, we were told that he was a non factor and didn't stand a chance. And certainly he wasn't influencing TSA procedures for the last 18 months. Come on....
You honestly think that his hate spewing was witnessed by no one, and that no one was planning on voting for him, until the day before the election?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Forget that the whoever has occupied the white house for the past 30 years has slowly diluted the power of the american dollar while simultaneously having the national debt climb to exponential levels.

Let's keep bashing Trump, because divide and conquer has always worked and continues to flourish in america.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Too lazy to find data, but people have been complaining about TSA and Border/Customs officers for many many years.
But not many of them were former Norwegian Prime Ministers. Or world-famous Australian children's-book authors. Or the sons of former World Champion boxers.

And these are not people who, under any reasonable set of circumstances, should be detained at all.

People, in the past, have complained about being searched. Sometimes this involved a body-cavity search. But those people were stopped, detained, and searched because US customs had some reason to believe they were carrying contraband. And while we might not like it, every country has the right to search inbound travelers believed to be carrying contraband.

That is the difference. And that is directly attributable to Trump.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
But not many of them were former Norwegian Prime Ministers. Or world-famous Australian children's-book authors. Or the sons of former World Champion boxers.

And these are not people who, under any reasonable set of circumstances, should be detained at all.

People, in the past, have complained about being searched. Sometimes this involved a body-cavity search. But those people were stopped, detained, and searched because US customs had some reason to believe they were carrying contraband. And while we might not like it, every country has the right to search inbound travelers believed to be carrying contraband.

I Agree on the former PM if he had a diplomatic passport (which doesn't guarantee entry).
As for the others, i would hope that you are not saying that celebrity status is reason to apply the law in a different manner.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010

You sure about that?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/this-is-what-donald-trump-is-doing-to-our-country.2035254/#post-24362664

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
As for the others, i would hope that you are not saying that celebrity status is reason to apply the law in a different manner.
Mem Fox (the Australian author) and Henry Rousso (the French historian) aren't exactly what I'd count as "celebrities." But they happen to have enough name recognition that they can get their stories out.

And don't think that for every kids-book author and French historian treated like this, that there aren't thousands more - equally innocent, and presenting precisely zero threat - people being treated this way at the US border.

ICE agents are taking their cues from Donald Trump. And Trump's message is that visitors to the US are to be subject to "extreme vetting." That's his term. Not George W. Bush. Or Barack Obama. Donald Trump.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
Mem Fox (the Australian author) and Henry Rousso (the French historian) aren't exactly what I'd count as "celebrities." But they happen to have enough name recognition that they can get their stories out.

And don't think that for every kids-book author and French historian treated like this, that there aren't thousands more - equally innocent, and presenting precisely zero threat - people being treated this way at the US border.

ICE agents are taking their cues from Donald Trump. And Trump's message is that visitors to the US are to be subject to "extreme vetting." That's his term. Not George W. Bush. Or Barack Obama. Donald Trump.
And similar people were detained or refused entry under Obama.

Reactions: DrewDaHilp1

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
As someone that spent two Summers at the CBOE and CME, cocaine and booze.
The stock market exists the way black holes exist. We know that they are real; we have theories about how they operate; but we really don't know.
[doublepost=1488550549][/doublepost]

When it comes to security NO ONE should be above scrutiny. NOBODY!

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
You paint the Trump supporters with a pretty broad and vile brush. If you were a right winger talking this way about lefties this post would have been deleted already and the poster would probably be on a nice "vacation" for a while.

Glad to see you are keeping in classy, buddy. Keep up the good work.
Coming from you who did this all the time it is pretty funny. Now many vacations did you get for doing it?

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US

Maybe she should have completed the correct visa forms and this would have been a non-story.

Reactions: webbuzz

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Lmao. The stock market reacts to things in a day. Policies at the TSA do not. Come on, have some self respect.
I dont give him credit for the stock market. I honestly don't think ANYONE knows how it works.;)
So, all the recent articles praising Trump for the current stock market bump are what...fake news? There's even a thread here about the dow hitting 20,000 and some in there cheering Trump for it.

Oh, and @ibookg409, there is this little tidbit:

Name one way he has harmed the country so far. The DOW is up, factories were already returning to the USA due to his policies. You can't point to one TANGIBLE calamity of leadership to date. Any calamity of leadership Trump represents resides only in the minds of lefties.
Not saying you literally gave him credit for the stock market, but you were cheering the effects of his policies when he had been in office seven days.

The sky over your world is always falling. Must suck to be you.
Yes, we can all learn from your generally positive personality. :rolleyes: Of course, I'm not the one who has to keep a firearm on me at all times, so my world appears to be okay.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Coming from you who did this all the time it is pretty funny. Now many vacations did you get for doing it?
Can you point to where I have done this? What you should be asking is why is it OK for some people to do this and not others.
[doublepost=1488551179][/doublepost]
So, all the recent articles praising Trump for the current stock market bump are what...fake news? There's even a thread here about the dow hitting 20,000 and some in there cheering Trump for it.

Not saying you literally gave him credit for the stock market, but you were cheering the effects of his policies when he had been in office seven days.

Yes, we can all learn from your generally positive personality. :rolleyes: Of course, I'm not the one who has to keep a firearm on me at all times, so my world appears to be okay.
My statement was taken out of context, good sir. I believe I was responding to someone stating that Trump is hurting the country. Me saying that the stock market is up is neither giving him credit or praising him. Just a simple refute that he is not "hurting" the country.

Context brother, context.;)

Reactions: jblagden

nrvna76

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2010

No, they aren't fake. That's what I said. The market reacts in a day, so he can affect that. And he is. Geez it went up over 21k the day after his speech to congress which is widely viewed as his best speech. Can't make the stretch from that to the TSA is what I am saying.

Reactions: jblagden

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My statement was taken out of context, good sir. I believe I was responding to someone stating that Trump is hurting the country. Me saying that the stock market is up is neither giving him credit or praising him. Just a simple refute that he is not "hurting" the country.

Context brother, context.;)
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....that's exactly what I said. "You didn't give him credit for the stock market but you were cheering the effects of his policies after seven days".

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
The stock market is speculation. So if Trump says something like "Believe me we're going to ease taxes and regulations on corporations, bigly!" People will buy more stock in companies because they're liable to become more profitable. It happens a lot. Like remember when a bomb would go off in Nigeria and send oil prices soaring? No actual change in the oil supply at that moment but it instantly became more valuable.

On the other hand if the market goes down, he might have to take credit for that too.

#trumpbump

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....that's exactly what I said. "You didn't give him credit for the stock market but you were cheering the effects of his policies after seven days".
I don't think I was cheering his effects, but whatever. Lets not get angry at each other over this. Lets save that for something real. I'm sure Trump or the media will give us a reason in the next 10 minutes.

Reactions: SABRIAN70

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
No, they aren't fake. That's what I said. The market reacts in a day, so he can affect that. And he is. Geez it went up over 21k the day after his speech to congress which is widely viewed as his best speech. Can't make the stretch from that to the TSA is what I am saying.
Yet, as it rose and rose and rose, hitting record after record, throughout Obama's tenure, crickets. Actually, no...endless talk about how he was destroying the economy.

Yes, I have no doubt that he market will do well under Trump. After all, it's largely a measure of big corporate success. And anyone with half a brain knows that Trump is going to be very good for big corporate. It will remain to be seen how much he actually does for the average person.

Watching my portfolio grow bigly is literally the only thing I can cheer Trump for. Everything else is garbage.
[doublepost=1488551643][/doublepost]
I don't think I was cheering his effects
factories were already returning to the USA due to his policies.
Okay...

Last edited:

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Yet, as it rose and rose and rose, hitting record after record, throughout Obama's tenure, crickets. Actually, no...endless talk about how he was destroying the economy.

Yes, I have no doubt that he market will do well under Trump. After all, it's largely a measure of big corporate success. And anyone with half a brain know that Trump is going to be very good for big corporate. It will remain to be seen how much he actually does for the average person.

Watching my portfolio grow bigly is literally the only thing I can cheer Trump for. Everything else is garbage.
[doublepost=1488551643][/doublepost]

Okay...
Fair enough.