This Is What Donald Trump is Doing to Our Country

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 2, 2017.

1. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

The difference is that investors, as a rule, don't work directly for the Federal Government. Customs and Immigration officers do.

Do you want to know, pretty much exactly, why we're seeing incidents like this?

Because some time pretty close to the day Trump was inaugurated, a memo went out to people involved in handling immigration that used words to the effect of:

We're going to starting Cracking Down on....

followed by a list of categories of people for immigration officers to look out for. And it almost certainly included people who had recently been to Iran. Hence the detention of the former Norwegian Prime Minister. And it almost certainly included people who might be "sneaking into the country" under a tourist visa and taking jobs from American workers.

We've all seen that "cracking down" phrase used in our lives. And most have seen it abused and misused by that subset of idiots among the people charged with doing the "cracking down."

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

How dare ICE try to follow the law and keep people safe. How dare those people charged with the security of our nation and it's people ask a former Prime Minister a few extra questions? The nerve! We absolutely should NOT give extra scrutiny to people coming from countries who throw gays off of rooftops, stone adulterous women, imprison rape victims, forbid women from driving, etc. :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    You might benefit from reading the study in this thread...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/are-you-outraged.2035107/

Actually, someone else may need to forward this to vrDREW for me. I think he has me on his ignore list because he doesn't like me challenging him.

3. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Most of those posts simply quote me saying the word "you" a lot. I will admit though that I do often paint liberals with a broad brush. But I'm usually pointing to large groups making asses of themselves like the Berkely protesters setting fires and the people in vagina costumes at the womens march.

5. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

so ou admit you do it ok now how many times have you gotten vacation for it? macoumers search seldom works well.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm not supposed to discuss moderation publicly.

7. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

You mean by groups that aren't happy trump was elected?

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

All those incidents point to a long standing problem that we need to fix. If we keep doing this to people, over time we will very much hurt our tourism as we get a reputation for being a place that is too much of a hassle to travel to.

I didn't see anything wrong with that post. There was no direct attacks on anyone here. Is it your contention that there can be no Trump supporter out there in the country who is also clueless? I disagree. I have listened to some of them. Some people out there really don't know everything they should. They have jumped to a guy that talks about jobs jobs jobs out of desperation. I totally get that, but you know who else talked about jobs jobs jobs? This guy:

IMG_1939.JPG

In other words, just because someone says it doesn't mean they will accomplish what they say. I think both Trump and the people who voted for him are underestimating just how hard it is going to be to turn areas around that have had neglect for literally decades. And I still question if the right guy for the job is a guy who sent jobs overseas himself. Seems to me he has been part of the problem all these years, not part of the solution.

9. webbuzz, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

You should tell vrdrew.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

No! It's all Trumps fault. Until Trump was elected the TSA never bothered anyone. Each passenger was greeted with a smile and a friendly "Hello". No one ever was groped or made to feel uncomfortable. No one ever had to be detained or frisked for any reason.

11. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Yeah, thank Gawd ICE stopped that 80-year-old Iranian woman by screaming at her. She might have come into this country and started a quilting bee!!! AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

:rolleyes:

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You never know.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ah, but now they can (un)officially grab P. The boss said so. :D

14. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you know what I found most horrifying about that anecdote? (I mean, apart from an officer of the United States government screaming at an 80-year-old woman in the first place.)

It's the fact that people whose job it is to make decisions about the eligibility and suitability of people coming into this country don't know that people from Iran generally speak Farsi, rather than Arabic.

That speaks volumes about a) the sort of people they've got working there and b) the shockingly poor training some of these jokers must have.

I'm quite certain every one of these people gets plenty of firearms instruction. They've got to qualify with pistols, and requalify at the range every six months. (Why they need to have guns strapped to them when talking to people who've just come off an international airliner, I don't quite understand.)

But why they can't be required to pass a test, and receive a certain amount of instruction about the countries that foreign visitors come from?

These people, like all law enforcement officers, are required to exercise a fairly high degree of discretion in their duties. They have to make an educated guess about how likely it is that person ABC is likely to pose a risk. Might be carrying contraband. Might be likely to overstay or otherwise violate the conditions of their visa.

Discretion seems have gone by the board now that these Trump jokers are calling the shots. Now all we get is idiocy and fascism.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trust me bro. I've gotten my crotch grabbed a ton while flying under Obamas regime. It always seemed worse at PVD. Every time I went through the imager they insisted on "checking" my crotch. I eventually paid to get the TSAPreCheck so I didn't have to go through that anymore.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Pay high school drop out wages, get high school drop out individuals imagine that. TSA isn't armed, at least not in the airports that I have been to.

17. samiwas macrumors 68000

So, do you actually understand the irony of "keeping people safe" from a small number of violent deaths, while preventing even research on a huge number of violent deaths?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    Where on earth are you flying? I haven't been grabbed once in the last ten years.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I fly to all the Naval bases. So Seattle, San Diego, Norfolk, etc.

19. samiwas macrumors 68000

I guess it's a Naval Base thing then. Been to all of those cities, and dozens of others...never been gabbed.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The dopes at the TSA have no idea where I'm going or why. For l they know I'm going to sea world. I also use my Gov ID instead of my drivers liceanse so that should tell them that I've already been vetted.

21. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

TSA agents are different from Immigration Officers. An Immigration officer is the person who looks at your passport as you enter the country. And they all have guns strapped to their waists.

TSA makes sure people with weapons and explosives don't get on airplanes. Or that people on the "No Fly" list don't board.

I could see the need for an Immigration officer working at a land crossing to be armed. When people drive up to the US border in a car or truck, they might very well have weapons they might use to try and force their way into the country.

But people getting off airplanes have universally already been checked for weapons. Nobody is going to carry a bunch of guns onto an international airliner, fly to Miami or Houston, and then try to shoot their way past the Immigration desk.

Arguably, I think you could say that TSA agents should be armed at airports. But arming Immigration officers in international airports seems counterproductive. Because I don't know that there has ever been an instance where one of them has had to draw their weapon while working Passport control.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Since when are white supremacists klan members upset about Trump being elected?

23. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Forgetting about the college students and feminists?

24. Zenithal macrumors G3

True. Even as an old school conservative I know this excuse is ********. Donald doesn't give a damn about poor people or those in the Ozarks. Nor did Obama, nor did Bush, nor did Clinton, nor did Bush Sr., nor did Reagan, and so on and so on. Think I saw a statistic the other week where the average Trump voter is either white or multi-generation xyz-American, has an average income of around $65,000 USD and owns or is paying for their property, and has at least one child in college.

Fairer to say these people are a bit mental if they think that'll go away due to immigrants. Last I checked, field workers had a hard time coming up with the money to place a down payment on a home.