This Is What Donald Trump is Doing to Our Country

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 2, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Dude! You got to take out the PA jewelry first! :eek: :D

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

At this point after reading all the exaggerations and chicken little stories I'm skeptical of everything I read -- especially by community members here. Show me a video or audio recording so I can see the actual exchange and draw my own conclusion.

Otherwise if she feels mistreated and the employee was outside of policy she should file a complaint. She can even work with her elected officials to change policy. But I'm not under any obligation to believe it all happened as reported by the media and op.

Now I'm going back to eating my tater-tots.

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Personally I think someone just saw something down there they wanted to get there hands on.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Wait - so we were already acting like rude hosts, interrogating people who pose no threat nor engaged in any illegal activity, and yet Trump accused Obama of being soft on border control? Right.

5. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

No, Obama's mistake was that he didn't put minefields and a deathstrip along the Rio Grande river. At least according to Donald Trump.

The difference at our airports is this: Under the Obama Administration, people who had legitimate problems with their immigration status - like Nigella Lawson, who had confessed to using cocaine - were sometimes denied entry. The difference under Trump is that people who have done nothing wrong (at least according to official US immigration policy) like this Australian author are now routinely detained and interrogated. It's like going from a dad who was strict, but fair - to a sadistic child abuser.

6. 0098386 Suspended

The only person I know who supports Trump is a woman who relies on welfare. She has no savings, no money coming in, and her husband doesn't make much either. She relies on so much and yet voted for a chap (and party) that want to give her less.

It boggles the mind.

Here in England, an old school friend who I have on FB is nearly identical to my American friend. She has welfare, her boyfriend makes minimum wage, and she has 3 kids to support. It only recently came up that her boyfriend supports the far right party here - UKIP. He hates foreigners and believes they're taking his jobs. That's the sentiment here, or rather that's what newspapers aimed at poor people would have them believe.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Mem Fox wasn't stopped by TSA, but rather by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials who are in charge of allowing international travelers into the United States. In this regard, CBP has become unhinged and has repeatedly treated people poorly.

While reporting has shown that CBP has endemic problems, it's pretty clear that this problem has gotten worse after Trump's inauguration. And, considering that the unions for ICE and Border Patrol pushed very hard for Trump and celebrated his win by saying "the cuffs were off" we shouldn't be surprised.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2017 ---
    The TSA did not stop Mem Fox. It was U.S. CBP.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wouldn't put all of this on Trump. He hasn't been in office for long. At worst, his election was a goon whistle. It's kind of like a dog whistle with a different target audience. Regarding the border patrol, California's Border Patrol has endured corruption problems for a very long time. Part of these problems are likely attributable to the rate of expansion within this particular agency. It's not exactly a deep article, just a fact checker.

On a side note, I like the term goon whistle. I may use it again.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Goon whistle. I'm stealing that.

I'm not trying to put this all on Trump, but I think he bears responsibility for throwing gasoline on a problem that already existed. It's also worth noting that while many people like to use the "bad apples" theory when it comes to law enforcement, it's pretty clear that the agency's culture is problematic. Under Obama, R. Gil Kerlikowske tried to manage CBP's problems by increasing transparency and changing its use-of-force paradigms, and this worked to a point. Now, Kerlikowske is gone and his pick to lead Border Patrol was sacked.
    And, these moves came from the National Border Patrol Council's wishlist, a group that spent so much time with Trump that its leaders were invited to Trump Tower in November to celebrate Trump's victory.

This isn't a mistake, or a surprise, but part of a running pattern that was obvious since March. The NBPC and ICE's union put their backs into the Trump campaign because they like his nativist and pro-law enforcement rhetoric. Now that they've got their man in Washington, they expect to be able to get away with more.

"The cuffs" they complained about so bitterly were rules to keep them from shooting civilians and requirements that they release asylum-seeking families rather than leave them in cells called hieleras both agents and immigrants alike.

10. niploteksi macrumors regular

Maybe it's a hunk thing?

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It was adapted from @LizKat's dog whistle metaphor.

I agree with you on this. My entire point was that Trump didn't do anything materially to make this happen. Their hiring practices and internal promotions likely led to a bad internal culture. In some cases like like California's border patrol, rapid expansion seemingly worsened existing corruption issues. These guys didn't turn into goons once Trump was elected, and if the Customs and Border Protection was a well run agency, Trump's election would not have a significant impact on their conduct.

12. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Exactly! In addition to "crotch-grabbing", there have been loads of stories about TSA agents stealing (iPads?) from travelers over the years.

13. SusanK macrumors 68000

I know several people who are Trump supporters. Tried to persuade me to vote for him. They are older, retired people. Social Security and Medicare is an important part of their budgets. Still they loved Trump. I'll never understand that.

14. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

IMG_0024.PNG
    Let's take a look at just New York our comrades home state.

Look at the bottom. Source is the NYPD.

15. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Typical response from the liberals. How about the hate crimes that the DNC paid people to incite violence at Trump rallies. Or the violence to Trump supporters during the election? The violent protests that cause harm to people and property?

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Wait a minute! In a city of 8.5 million, you've only had 40 hate crimes?! That's such a minuscule number as to not be statistically significant!

Given how many hate crimes turn out to be hoaxes, I think it's reprehensible for Think Progress and yourself to rush to judgment on such a serious topic.

Also, I note that Think Progress didn't include the actual numbers in the breakdown of hate crimes against Jews, Muslims, etc. Probably ridiculously low and a pathetic attempt to make things look much worse than they are.

Leftists are so desperate right now.

17. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

That wouldn't be considered a "hate crime" because there's no targeting or a racial, religious, or ethnic group, and while I've seen a lot of right-wing news articles claiming that there have been protestors who were paid, there hasn't been any solid proof... although on that topic, there was an amusing Fox interview with a guy who claimed to run a business that paid protestors, but who was actually making up the entire thing. Interestingly, Trump, himself, made comments that green-lit violence to be perpetuated by his supporters against people protesting him. (Refer to his remarks about how he would have punched someone himself, and separately, how he would pay the legal bill of anyone who committed violence and then suffered a lawsuit as a result of it.)

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You do realise that lots of this stuff won't be reported...

19. bopajuice, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Everything you just referred to could be applied to voter fraud. Yet it's a major GOP issue, and Trump claims millions voted illegally. No proof, with just a few isolated instances, yet all across the country Republican held states are enacting laws for pretty much non existent problems. I think it's reprehensible for you to rush to judgment on such a serious topic. A constitutional right no less!

Or even the transgender thing. Large scale partisan fighting about a non existent bathroom problem.

I thought for sure since the GOP makes such a big deal out of non existent problems, you would appreciate a statistic like this. Can't have it both ways.

I would be curious to see what the national average for hate crimes is. Seems to be enough of an issue for Trump to publically condemn a rash of Jewish desecrations and called in bomb scares as an increasing problem.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2017 ---
    Typical response from Republicans. Lets' not forget the reported instances of harassment at voting places instigated by Trump himself. He even encouraged Wikileaks to release info on Clinton. Does he still encourage and support Wikileaks decision to release info on the CIA?

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

I think its safe to say there's now 2 countries I wouldn't consider travelling to now, due to stories from other people travelling there.

The US and the UAE.

21. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Standard Double Standard.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source the DNC paid people to encite violence at Trump rallies.

23. martint235 macrumors 6502

martint235

If it's anything like Brexit, hate crime has risen because those that felt they needed to keep their xenophobic, racist tendencies hidden believed that the xenophobic, racist rhetoric during the election vindicated them
    Have they been committing a lot of hate crime then?

24. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

So? The protestors could have just turned down the money and not protested - on the principle that inciting violence is wrong. What does it matter that they were paid? They still had free will. They didn't have to accept payment. They had the choice to decline the payment and then just stayed away from the rally.
    We're not racist or xenophobic. We're just worried about safety and jobs. The only difference is that we don't let political correctness get in the way.

25. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No. I don't realize that at all. In fact it's the opposite! We get so many hate crime hoaxes that I doubt any real crimes go unreported. All 40 or less of them.