This Is What Donald Trump is Doing to Our Country

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
You do realise that the Chicago Tribune piece is a SATIRE? Also worth noting - the following article is also a satire - http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/ben-carson-says-people-pushed-out-of-windows-get-unique-opportunity-to-fly-through-air.

You also quoted Infowars, a source who thinks the Sandy Hook shooting was staged, and that the US government committed both 9/11 and the Oklahoma City bombing - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jones_(radio_host)#Infowars.

Plus Conservative Treehouse is just some random persons blog and offers no proof or evidence for its claims.
Alright. Well, that's better than just going "You heard it on Fox. Yeah, well, they make everything up" and really just meaning because it's a conservative station.
[doublepost=1489085610][/doublepost]
If this is true it is a dispicible act. I would not even try to defend such actions. Yet having Russia influence our election is acceptable behavior? Both sides engage in questionable, immoral, and most likely illegal activity. No big surprise... all just to convince the public that "our party is better".

But I find it baffling how one dispicle act is so horrible while another is not. Guess it all depends if you are red or blue, which I am beginning to realize is degrading our democracy not helping it. This divide is stiffling.
It's a republic, not a democracy.

Reactions: webbuzz

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
republic
rɪˈpʌblɪk/
noun
  1. a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.
    • archaic
      a group with a certain equality between its members.
      "the community of scholars and the republic of learning"

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
We're afraid that illegal immigrants will take a lot of jobs from Americans by working for a lot less. If you give them citizenship, they'll displace a lot of American labor by taking jobs Americans would have done for a higher wage. Add to that, a secondary effect of giving the illegal immigrants citizenship could depress wages by virtue of the fact that they will work for less.
I do agree with a lot of what you are saying. Immigrants do suppress wages of the poor. However granting citizenship should actually help the poor with wages - unless it encourages more immigrants to come.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Oh dear, you picked the exactly wrong example to make your argument. It doesn't matter how much voter fraud happens; the mere threat that it poses to the democratic process:

In national elections, successful electoral fraud can have the effect of a coup d'état or corruption of democracy. In a narrow election, a small amount of fraud may be enough to change the result. Even if the outcome is not affected, revelation of fraud can have a damaging effect, if not punished, as it can reduce voters' confidence in democracy.
Oh if only you had that mindset in regard to Russian meddling in our elections, and involvement in the Trump campaign/administration....a much bigger threat.

Men using women's bathroom facilities has been a non-existent problem because it has been a crime for hundreds of years.
Wrong wrong wrong. Where do you think transgender people have been going to the restroom for nearly a century? It ain't their birth gender restroom.

Reactions: Eraserhead

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think its safe to say there's now 2 countries I wouldn't consider travelling to now, due to stories from other people travelling there.

The US and the UAE.
Same. I realised a few years ago during some 'popular' rape case that the US is just as bad as certain Middle East states. The way women get treated, the way rape is treated, the hardcore religious nutters, the love for weapons. A sad state.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Same. I realised a few years ago during some 'popular' rape case that the US is just as bad as certain Middle East states. The way women get treated, the way rape is treated, the hardcore religious nutters, the love for weapons. A sad state.
"just as bad as certain Middle East states"

Are you serious? This is completely incorrect. You guys need to be calling out comments like this. The self-hate going on in the United States and the West is going to ruin the entire thing.
[doublepost=1489260567][/doublepost]
You guys realize that the US has one of the worst reputations at airports before Trump right?
Nah. Why do that when you can just blame Trump?

Reactions: webbuzz

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
"just as bad as certain Middle East states"

Are you serious? This is completely incorrect. You guys need to be calling out comments like this. The self-hate going on in the United States and the West is going to ruin the entire thing.
[doublepost=1489260567][/doublepost]

Nah. Why do that when you can just blame Trump?
Self hate? Nah man. I just look at the percentage of women who have been sexually assaulted (your president was into that too, according to himself), I look at the levels of violence, I look at the divide between the rich and poor - especially how the poor are treated, I look at health care and how that is treated. It ain't good.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Self hate? Nah man. I just look at the percentage of women who have been sexually assaulted (your president was into that too, according to himself), I look at the levels of violence, I look at the divide between the rich and poor - especially how the poor are treated, I look at health care and how that is treated. It ain't good.
Well apparently your analysis and reasoning skills need some work. The United States is a gigantic and diverse nation. Far more diverse in both opinion and culture, than any other country on the planet. We have some people who are backwards, and we certainly have our fair share of problems (looking at you ChIraq), but attempting to put the United States on any comparable level to any Middle East country is absolutely absurd.

Reactions: tgara and webbuzz

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Lots of old people in wheelchairs were stopped under obama. Lots of children were stopped. The point is that this author is simply another person who shouldn't have been stopped. This author isn't special, just another person in the long line of inappropriate TSA stops. It's not unique to Trump.

Don't let your dislike for Trump cloud your reasoning. Looking at the broader picture lets you focus better.
really?

how can you defend this buffoon of a president?

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
really?

how can you defend this buffoon of a president?
I think the poster is pointing out that this particular problem is a system-wide problem. It's been going on for a while, and it's not new with Trump. Understanding this is key to being able to improve the system. If you just point at Trump and say that's the problem, while ignoring that it was also a problem under the previous administration you're making the problem worse. Our government has some serious **** that needs fixed.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Oh dear, you picked the exactly wrong example to make your argument. It doesn't matter how much voter fraud happens; the mere threat that it poses to the democratic process:

In national elections, successful electoral fraud can have the effect of a coup d'état or corruption of democracy. In a narrow election, a small amount of fraud may be enough to change the result. Even if the outcome is not affected, revelation of fraud can have a damaging effect, if not punished, as it can reduce voters' confidence in democracy.
…demands that we seek a remedy by verifying voter ID.
So... by your framing, does your argument boil down to this?
'Regardless of the rate of occurrence, the impact of the abuse may be severe; therefore every opportunity to reduce the threat must be taken.'

I'd like to know if I understood your logic.

Oh darn, I see you're on a break. Hopefully you will respond.