This is what happens when you leave your phone in the hot car

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdczar, Jul 8, 2010.

1. jdczar macrumors member

left my phone in the car and got this for about 30 minutes until it cooled down

Attached Files:

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Better that than stolen. :)

I'm surprised it took so long to cool down. It must have been really hot!

3. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Is this new for the iPhone 4, or did this warning show up on other devices? Just wondering because I have never seen it on my 3GS and I have left it in the heat accidentally before...

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Have never had that show up on mine EVER!!! And it has actually gotten warm from certain games and me being outside in Vegas heat.

5. David-fr macrumors 6502

I had that when i left iPhone 3GS in a hot car one day i was in a hurry for school. Forgot how long to cool down. It was HOT as hell., One of those 96degrees in the Bay Area we have. It was like if my iPhone saw Megan Fox or something like that

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

How many minutes did you battery last after that??

7. joshrholloway macrumors member

joshrholloway

I never saw this on any of my previous devices, but I know for a fact that the warning existed on the 3G and 3GS.

However, I have seen the warning once or twice on my iPad, both times using it in the hot car.

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I get that message every day when I get off work. It's been about 105* here all week and I have to leave my phone in the car all day so it gets pretty damn hot. Just turn it off and hold the phone in front of the vents with the AC blasting for a couple minutes with the the air blowing into the port on the bottom.

9. jdczar thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I left it in the for at least 4 hours and it was a 100 plus day i held it in front of the ac vent and it cooled down. This is the iphone4 and i have the 3g and have never gotten it before. i dont have to really worry about it being stolen cause i live on a military base but yeah i forgot it in the car and battery was still strong after this

10. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Leaving your phone in a hot car everyday will shorten the life of your battery.

11. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Well I'm not going to leave it home and defeat the purpose of having a cellphone and I absolutely cannot take it into work. I did the same thing with my 3GS and never had a problem with the battery.

12. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming cell phones are banned at your workplace. Could you leave it at the security desk in the building?

For the car, it might be worth getting a small ice chest for the trunk and putting the phone in there with a reusable ice pack in a way that keeps it cool and dry.

13. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

14. jdczar thread starter macrumors member

can you not take it because you have a camera on it if so get the camera taken out

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Military bases must have undergone a complete restructuring since I was in...

16. jdczar thread starter macrumors member

it means emergency i think I have anothe pic thats in chinese

Attached Files:

17. jdczar thread starter macrumors member

here you go sorry

Attached Files:

18. jdczar thread starter macrumors member

Well its an air force base with nothing else really around it there is no crime here

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

The message has appeared on older generation iPhones.

20. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Unfortunately yes, any type of electronic with any form of memory or is able to take pictures is strictly prohibited (besides professionally made movies which have to be inspected as well as burnt music on CD-Rs, not RWs. The CDs can't leave the building though and have to be securely disposed of). It really all depends on which building you're in as to whether or not you can leave it with security, however, my job involves me moving from building to building throughout the day. One building recently installed little lockers right before the entrance but it's pointless for me to use them because I'm moving around so much.

I guess I could see if an insulated lunch box or something along those lines would help cut down on the heat. I don't know about adding any kind of ice pack though because it could cause moisture as the day goes on.

21. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

My ip4 has gotton that message while just using the phone in my car on a hot day running the iPod and trapster together while having it connected to my cd player (which also charges it). Kinda pissed me off since my 3GS never did it. I have since got a replacement iPhone, but I haven't tested it out yet to see if this one will do it. It does seem though that this new replacements battery isn't as good, but I'm gonna take it through a couple charge cycles before I take it back in.

22. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

23. dstart macrumors member

I really want to slap people who leave their electronics in hot environments.

Exposing your phone and therefore your internal li-ion battery above 35C will degrade your battery performance considerably more over time than a comfortable 20C.

24. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I'm afraid not. I've been off active duty for a year and after every field problem, someone's room always got broken into. Our barracks was next to an MP battalion, too. But there's only one thief in the Army. Everyone else is just trying to get their stuff back:D