This is what I want to do - what do I have to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kewly, Mar 22, 2012.

1. kewly macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors-community,

I have been using my windows notebook for almost the past 3 years and had a look at multiple apple products for the first time now, since I think I want to switch sides from windows to iOS. I was, almost always, satisfied with my windows product but really like the thought of many things being easily compatible with each other, which is why I do not just want a new notebook, but a variety of products to acquire certain things I would like to be able to do at home. Now this is where I need you: I would love to know how I'd be able to do all these things the easiest way possible! Here comes my list.. ;)

- MacBook Pro 13" notebook
    - I would like to listen to music and print wirelessly as soon as my Mac is connected to the wifi at home, I guess the AirPort Express would make that possible
    - I would like to stream content from my 6TB-RAID directly to my TV, now: How am I able to realize this the most simple way? Can I plug my HDD into the AirPort, too, and stream everything over a jailbroken AppleTV? Do I need both the AirPort Express and Extreme?
    - It would be very nice if I could use my Logitech Harmony to control the AppleTV

Right now, that's all the stuff I can think of. I would be very glad if you can help me with these issues.

kewly

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I can answer some of your questions, hopefully someone else can chime in later on to augment what I say:

1. You can print wirelessly from your Mac easily and it has iTunes so you can listen to music without downloading anything extra. You don't need an airport, any router will work but I do personally like the airports for home networking.

2. All you need is your Apple TV connected to your TV and network and you'll be able to stream content from iTunes (or if its jailbroken, I believe other apps) to your TV. You can also airplay from iPads and iPhones with all kinds of applications. I use Air Video from my iPad for example to stream from my external drives to my Apple TV, circumventing iTunes. (My ATV is not jailbroken).

As for plugging your drive into the airport you can do that I believe on the new ones (maybe its a time capsule that does that, not sure) but I've never done it.

3. I'm not sure if there is a special setting on the logitech remote for Apple TV but if not, Apple TV has an option to "Learn Remotes" and it works awesome. You can take any remote and program it to work with the Apple TV.

3. kewly thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thank you for your answer!

Since my router does not have native wireless printing, and I would normally need to hook it up to the MacBook e.g. I believe I do need an extra router for making it able to print documents wirelessly. Same goes for the audio system, normally I would need to connect the cable to the sound source, but here the AirPort Express would make this a wireless option, too. So basically, these two needs are satisfied.

Now the big issue is the streaming part. You say I can stream anything over iTunes, but it is my goal to be able to stream anything, without having to use my Mac at all. I want to switch on my TV, browse through my HDD (which has to be implemented into the Network SOMEHOW...the AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme only have one USB-port which would be needed for the printer...do I need a Airport Extreme + Express setup??) on the AppleTV and start a movie for example. I really like the AirPlay Mirroring part, too, thank you for that.
    Additionally, the cherry on top of it all, would be my harddisk being able to switch off automatically when it is not needed? Is that possible at all?

Thanks for your help in advance!

4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

If your wireless router has a USB port, then you can connect your printer to the router and print "wirelessly" through the router. You would no longer have to connect your printer to your MB. If you have a true wireless printer, one with a wireless card, you can print without having the printer hooked up to the router. This is the setup I have.

You can use a powered hub on the AEBS's USB port to connect multiple devices, e.g. printer and HDD.

5. kewly thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, I didn't know that. Thank you. So I guess I only need an AirPort Extreme plus the Hub to get both the printer, and my HDD into the network. But does the AirPort Extreme have a connection for sound being transferred wirelessly like the AirPort Express has it?

And I still need solid information regarding the HDD. Does it really stream over the AppleTV if I just hook it up to the AirPort? And is there some kind of WakeOnUSB-function or automatic standby so it's not switched on all the time?

6. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

For your streaming purposes, I would steer away from from the apple tv and get a dedicated media streamer such as a wd tv live or a boxee box. Don't get me wrong, the apple tv is great especially if you have alot of itunes content. The apple tv will only stream m4v, mov and mp4 files over the network.

If you get a wd tv live or a boxee box, you can stream virtually any drm free video or audio file over the network from your pc to your tv.

7. kewly thread starter macrumors newbie

...but as far as I know, a jailbroken AppleTV is capable of streaming everything the WD TV or a Popcorn Hour would be able to play as well, isn't that true? Plus I guess it'd be way cheaper. Am I correct?

8. kewly thread starter macrumors newbie