Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
X5Za8B7.jpg

This is sharp's new edge to edge phone. We all know sharp is a close display partner with Apple. This gives us a glimpse of what to expect with the edge-to-edge Iphone

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
X5Za8B7.jpg

This is sharp's new edge to edge phone. We all know sharp is a close display partner with Apple. This gives us a glimpse of what to expect with the edge-to-edge Iphone

Looks nice and clear, with accurate colors. Would be a great display.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Edge to edge displays don't wow me...I'm eager for OLED though.

But word is still out whether the 4.7" will get it???

My prediction:

Today was an off year. Lots of 'placeholder' designs and upgrades (7,7+,SE).

Next year we'll see all three sizes with the new display and form factor.

Reactions: Appl3FTW

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
X5Za8B7.jpg

your picture does not show the chin of the phone.

transam7816

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2008
My prediction:

So your prediction is the same as everyone else's prediction that they announced a year ago

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I don't think that technology is ready to be mass produced for 100 million phones.

I think that is a very low yield panel today. It will take considerable engineering effort to make them in volume defect free, just like the flexible displays and the curved edge displays have taken time.

I don't expect this on the next iPhone whether that is the 7S or 8. Maybe the year after.

Reactions: xxray and schlaufox

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I would love for the iPhone next year to have an edge to edge display....I think it looks beautiful.

And super cool.

jshtroutman

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Does anyone know if an oled display is naturally over saturated or is that just how companies tune those displays because they can?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
My prediction:

I change my form factor by putting a case on my phone. That's as much as the form factor is really worth.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Not everyone understands that.
With side bezels being virtually non-existant, how do you grip the sides of the phone?
I'm all for reducing the top and bottom bezels, but I'm not eager to lose the side bezels as they help prevent accidental touches/commands/gestures et cetera.

Sure it's been thought of, iOS already has this tech in the OS and I'm sure will be enhanced for edge to edge

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
I saw a S7 edge at Bestbuy today. It has a huge burn-in with "Galaxy S7 Edge" letter on the screen. be careful of what you wish for.

edge to edge screen looks cool but not practical. a case has to expose the side edge to drop/damage.

Reactions: Aston441

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I don't think that technology is ready to be mass produced for 100 million phones.

I think that is a very low yield panel today. It will take considerable engineering effort to make them in volume defect free, just like the flexible displays and the curved edge displays have taken time.

I don't expect this on the next iPhone whether that is the 7S or 8. Maybe the year after.

not in a rude way but is this based on anything more than a feeling? Havent Samsung got the curved amoled sorted or do they still face problems?

facemeat

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2016
Sure it's been thought of, iOS already has this tech in the OS and I'm sure will be enhanced for edge to edge
I'm no expert on display technology, but how would that even work? A relative of mine has the S7 Edge and complains that he accidentally presses the sides of the phone quite often.
Palm rejection á la iPad Pro with the Pencil? How would the edges differentiate between what you accidentally press and whats intentional? As I said I'm no pro, but I'm genuinely interested. I just don't see edge to edge working flawlessly for at least a few years to come.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Does anyone know if an oled display is naturally over saturated or is that just how companies tune those displays because they can?
Its how theyre tuned. If you go into the display settings on a samsung phone, you can change the display mode to "basic" which is accurate colors, "photo", which is slightly saturated, "cinema" which is very saturated, or "adaptive" which changes the saturation depending on what your viewing.

I have mine set to "photo".

Reactions: determined09

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Not sure whether apple are leaking rumours for marketing purposes or these screens are really two years away on 4.7inch phones. I can only see apple getting more frigid with release from a business sense anyway

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I'm no expert on display technology, but how would that even work? A relative of mine has the S7 Edge and complains that he accidentally presses the sides of the phone quite often.
Palm rejection á la iPad Pro with the Pencil? How would the edges differentiate between what you accidentally press and whats intentional? As I said I'm no pro, but I'm genuinely interested. I just don't see edge to edge working flawlessly for at least a few years to come.

IIRC it was supposed to be release this year. But pushed an additional year. I'm sure it's been going through testing for at least two years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.