This is what you get if you fit MP's component into a fridge as a chasis!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xoggyux, Mar 20, 2009.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    working temeprature (10ºC ~ 25ºC:D at processor)

2. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

Actually I think you get something more like this...

[​IMG]

3. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I guess I don't get it. Do you do this on purpose? If so, can you post some pics of the rig working? Also, if you did it on purpose, why?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Humidity + that cold = condensation.

Condensation + electronics = DOA :eek: :( :(

Doesn't seem like a smart thing to do... ;)

5. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

condentation only occurs when humidity is in the air, unless you leave the doors open there is no prob also there is ~1 pound of antihumidity compound (likte the small silica balls that come with shoes) overall the system is been running 6 months no issue (on an old G5) for testing.
    It is not mine though so i dont have more pictures now.

6. Jouhne macrumors member

Did you put your hard drive in the freeze because it was dying ?
    I've tried this trick myself with no luck :'( 300gb of family's movies byebye

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I know, and should have left the humidity section in. ;) :p

At least you were aware of it, and took precautions. BTW, what is the efficacy of the desiccant material you're using? And is it a Frost-Free model fridge? :p

Seriously, I'd be paranoid enough to install a really accurate humidity gauge. :eek: :D

8. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

I only know my friend saved all the small silica gel bags and then mixed them with rice however if you are really paranoid then you should get some deliquescence compound (again this is should not be an issue if you do not open the door very frequent.) such as calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, zinc chloride, potassium carbonate, carnallite, ferric ammonium citrate, potassium hydroxide (only thing is that you will be replacing the compound very frequent (or drying it) since it sucks even the last bit of water out of the atmosphere.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

If I were to do something this crazy, I'd likely skip the fridge + dessicant, and go with immersion in silicon oil. I could actually build it in my garage without too much hassle. I even have an old window A/C unit I can scavenge for parts (heat exchanger). ;)

Easier than going totally off my rocker, and going to liquid nitrogen, or even helium, at any rate. ;) :D :p

Damn you, now you've got me thinking about this. :D :D

10. alanlindsay macrumors member

roflcopter

11. California macrumors 68040

California

Gross misapplication of the "freezer trick" to bring old hard drives back to life.

If your hd is failing, heat is always a factor. Freeze it in a plastic bag for 20 minutes (note: plastic bag must be sealed) and you have a cold, workable drive for like twenty minutes, then usually it will FAIL completely.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

My take, was for the CPUs, not HDD's. ;)

Ahh... What computer geeks do when bored...:p (Myself included). :D

13. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

the only difference is that you can get a small fridge for ~$80 or less and the modifications wont add more than another $50. Also I think computer parts have a range of temperature they work (e.g. semiconductors conductivity changes with temperature, you wont want a semiconductor turn in into a conductor or even worse a superconductor in your computer do you? :D)

14. ekoe macrumors member

I have a failed hard drive from my PowerBook which contains some files I did not have a chance to back up. I was thinking of purchasing ProSoft Data Rescue II for Mac to recover these files... but would you recommend trying this 'freezer trick'.
    I'm pretty aware of humidity issues from working with photo and electronics in cold weather, etc. Would this 'freezer trick' work for already failed drives? Basically, my drive was whining for a month or so then it up and refused to mount at all. Upon startup, I get a black screen which reads:
    "init: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: no such file or directory"
    Any advice?

15. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

We are talking about a different thing, however if the disk failed from a mechanical point of view software will not recuperate your data (99.99999%) and if its mechanical freezing it could bring it to life for a few minutes just time enough to save your most important data (keep in mind that chances of bringing the HDD back to life even for an small amount of time is slight) therefore if your data is very important (and is not too much otherwise you'd go bankrupt wit my suggestion) get it to a professional firm to get the data back.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

They certainly have an operating temperature specs (min/max), as well as humidity, voltage,.... ;) Typically, in extreme cold, semiconductors just won't work. But they can be adapted in the manufacturing process to work in extreme cold environments. Think of space. ;) Damn cold in the shade. :D

But there are instances where the heat generated requires some "interesting" cooling methods. Cray for example, used silicon oil immersion in a commercially produced unit. (Not just a lab experiment).