This is where your 2011 MBP 13" core i5 generates and vents heat (new pics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zwodubber, Apr 14, 2011.

1. zwodubber, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Edited to clear up the picture, see more pics in post 23

Hopefully this will end a few of the heat threads

photoshop, indesign, safari, itunes, and maybe 1 more program running.

This clearly shows the majority of heat is created and radiates from the top left corner (CPU is located there), and vents from the hinge below the display (you can see the heat rising on the display).

Measurements are Fahrenheit.

Please ignore me in the screen :D

[​IMG]

Photo taken with Fluke Ti20 thermal imager.

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it doesn't. That only shows heat that is radiated after the primary heat has been vented away via the fans through the vents in the rear of the MBP, by the hinge. There is no venting at all through the keyboard, as there is a solid sheet under the keyboard, preventing airflow. Heat radiates in all directions, including through the base, but that doesn't make those areas a vent. The two primary heat sources are the CPU and GPU.

3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

No surprise there. That's the area where the CPU is located.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

5. zwodubber thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree, but then I see threads titled "why do my fingers hurt near the escape key" and "where are the vents" and "how does heat escape" etc...

the hinge is the main vent. I will have to change the span, level and emissivity settings to show the heat escaping to the outside, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As has already been proven, there are no vents in the keyboard. The only vents are in the rear, near the hinge. Any heat in other areas is radiated heat, not the result of venting.

7. zwodubber thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes! A voice of reason, I don't get why this is so hard for people to grasp, yet there are always five heat threads on the first page. heat is generated at the GPU, radiated near the GPU and vented at the hinge.

8. FOX160 macrumors regular

I have the 13 inch base model and to be honest I first was worried about this heat problem But mine seems to be cool has a cucumber whilst running Imovie and Aperture 3 and safari at once.
    Yes it gets a touch warm but no where near the extent to what I have read on here.

9. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

Sure it does, maybe he could have worded it differently but the area where the heat is generated in the MBP is clearly shown in this photo. The low heat areas: ODD, HDD and battery areas are clearly cooler than the CPU/GPU area where the heat IS generated. I see nowhere where anyone said that heat is vented through the keyboard. I see that he states that "clearly this is where the heat is created" I also see somebody trying to show others what they 'know'....

to the OP: Great post thank you for the fun image!

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the thread title.

11. rmitchell248, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

Again, I see no mention of the keyboard.... You also singled out where the op said "this clearly shows where the heat is created" you then replied to that specific quote with "actually it doesn't" Thats what I am talking about;)

You then went on after that to state that heat is created at the GPU/CPU. So the way it reads is that you tell him that he is wrong then go on to support his image. It shows one of two things. You either dont know where the GPU and CPU are located or just wanted to tell him that he was wrong for fun?

While I am not sure where the OP is saying that the venting takes place I have better reason to guess that he was simply meaning that this is where the heat is generated and where the heat dissipates within the machine. The radiation, dissipation and ventilation of heat are 3 common ideas that many people get confused. I may have interpreted this wrong but in no way am lead to think the OP is saying that the keyboard is the exit point of cooling air!

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't be absurd. The implication in the thread title and the images would leave uninformed readers with the false impression that heat is vented, not radiated, through the keyboard. The OP understood and agreed with what I was saying. Read the whole thread before jumping to conclusions.

13. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

I read the whole thread. Thats why I find your continuing assumptions so absurd. Clearly the OP did not think that the keyboard is the source of ventilation as he agreed to your statement! You and I will clearly never see eye to eye on much around here so its cool.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Gee I'd like to have a heat camera like that. I'd be filming my computers all day :D

15. zwodubber thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry about the confusion everyone, I could have worded the title more clearly.

I did not mean to say the keyboard was a vent, the picture is just showing radiant heat on the bottom panel of the computer. If you look at the base of the screen you can see heat rising up the screen from the hinge, this is the vent. I had the camera focused on the main SOURCE of where heat is generated.

I'll try to get some better pics of the escaping heat today.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't suggest that the OP thought that. People could misinterpret the thread title and photos to draw the assumption that heat was vented, not radiated, through the keyboard. This was not the OP's intent, but I believe clarification was needed, especially given the number of posts I've seen where people believe that the keyboard is a vent.
    Gee! That hurts! :rolleyes:

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

VERY NICE! this is important to see. Regardless of where the vents are, the radiant heat seen on the keyboard is within acceptable temperature parameters for modern laptops.

Did you by chance measure the bottom of the case?

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That was the first thing I thought too after reading the title and looking the pictures. OP could have reworded it or explained it more clearly in his posting. But if you really read the title and just look at the picture, I'm pretty sure most people would think that the OP was saying that heat is vented through the keyboard area.

19. zwodubber thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll take some more pics after work

20. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Prior to this thread and after reading the first post - I thought that the keyboard acted as a vent. Call me stupid, uninformed, a bonehead, whatever. GGJ's clarification was informative.

21. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

I was simply stating fact. Do not think that I would ever feel the need to go out of my way to try and hurt you LOL

And you were right clarification was needed I am simply amazed at that fact. I suppose you see where these guys are coming from better than I do.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's only because for years I've been responding to threads where someone was erroneously posting that Mac portables vent through the keyboard. Myths die hard.

23. zwodubber thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, here are some more pics taken while ripping a DVD using handbrake

This shows less focus on radiant heat and more on the vented heat at the hinge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a top view in clamshell mode (note the heat on the wall behind the mac)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a bottom picture in clamshell

[​IMG]

24. zwodubber thread starter macrumors 6502a

And I doubt they would make the rubber keyboard protectors if the keyboard was a vent :D

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly! And Apple wouldn't give instructions on operating in clamshell mode, but all these facts seem to elude many people. Well done on the most recent pics, by the way! How do you change the focus from radiated heat to vented heat?