This Is Why I Support The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Have you been following this case?

How in the world could anyone, let alone her parents do this to her?

I hope Texas executes them both.:mad:

Full Story

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

oh I pretty sure if it is a capital crime (I not sure on the requrement to get to capital crime Texas will kill them. It may take 2 murders to get to that level but I am not sure about that. They put most people to death every year out of all 50 states.

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Yes, if you are against capital punishment, then stories like this surely test your resolve.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think the death penalty would be much better if the authorities did what the criminal did to the criminal :mad:

things like that are just... one of those things words don't really do justice.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What? No they don't. There are more than 2,000 people on death row right now across the ~38 states that have the death penalty, and only about 50 were executed last year. In many states (especially California), a death row inmate is more likely to die in the appeals process than he is to die at the hands of the state.

So your answer is to increase the amount of misery, pain, and suffering?

I'm a mild proponent of the death penalty (my feeling is that it should be reserved for the most heinous of crimes-this one would qualify).

These people deserve the chair (or injection, or whatever SCOTUS decides is appropriate by next June).

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Suppose so. I think they completely deserve it though. Primal blood-lust I guess. Sad truth is, nothing is gonna make up for what they did so it hardly seems worth it, although I suppose killing them would cost the state a lot less than paying for their food/shelter/etc for the rest of their lives.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well there is one thing...

Suppose we had the killer work and repay the victim's family in some way? It could be through some monetary return, which might be used for therapy, etc. If the killer makes a genuine attempt at reform, his sentence could be commuted to life, and if he just maintains his apathy, then we could do without him.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If the death penalty worked as a deterrent, then we wouldn't have crimes like this, right?

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Even as a mild proponent, I have to say that the deterrent argument is one of the worst ones out there. It's been well documented that it has almost no effect on crime.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Given the rates of recidivism we currently have, I'd say that time in prison doesn't seem to do the trick either.

http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/reentry/recidivism.htm

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Unless you're going to advocate the death penalty for lesser felonies (larceny, burglary, etc), your point doesn't really work. Life in prison has the same effect as the death penalty when it comes to restraining criminals.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's also not a good argument, as with appeals and considering they generally spend a long time on death row anyway, it's actually cheaper to let them rot in prison.

I try not to wish death on anyone, but it's really hard to not do so sometimes.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The way I see it, if I ever take the pleasure/catharsis/enjoyment in the killing of any human being it's the time I'm on my way to becoming just as low as they are. The only thing more repugnant than the state-sanctioned killing of a restrained human being is the cheerleading of the moralists who proclaim they deserve it.

14. calculus Guest

calculus

And just what kind of people would 'the authorities' have to recruit in order to carry that out?

I agree. I don't think the death penalty deters anyone ...

15. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'm 100% against the death penalty and I'm glad we do not have it in the UK. Even for crimes as evil as the one mentioned I could still not bring myself to agreeing with the death penalty.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The death penalty does not work. If it did we would see a decease in crime that could result in capital punishment. All and all the justice system does not work, it is fatally flawed. The prison system gets more and more packed everyday. The whole justice system needs serious overhaul.

In a some what sick ideal. I think that instead of a death penalty we would torture these people. I mean we do it right now to people that may possible somehow know something about terrorism. Lets take all the torture knowledge we have and use on people who deserve it. That would be a deterrent.

Personally I think some of these people get off easy with death. I mean really you sit in prison until finally you get placed on a table and get really high for 5 seconds then fall asleep. They give these pieces of S&$^ more then they deserve.

On a side note when Florida killed Ted Bundy they did the whole US population a big injustice. There could have been so much to learn from him. He was a very smart killer. This information could have help with other serial murders or really just sick twisted people.

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What if new evidence/new techniques comes to light that proves that person was innocent. If they are in prision for life you can release them and they will know that they have been pardoned. If you have killed the person there is nothing you can do and you will have executed an innocent person.

Personally I think there is no place for the death penalty in a modern society.

18. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I could not agree more.

19. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

So you are basically saying screw your 8th amendment.

20. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

Isn't society completely overlooking the reasons why these crimes are taking place? I'm sure these people see psychiatrists (taxpayers footing the bill of course?) They have to have an opinion as to why these crimes are taking place... and if it is things like having a broken family when they were younger, why are there not requirements to having children? (i.e. two adults that are required to be there for a child?) I guess it's hard because someone with a harsh and lonely childhood does not necessarily mean they are going to be a convicted felon. But jail just seems like a topical solution, where as mandatory education should be implemented from the first year of school to the last (last year of mandatory schooling i guess). Is this to much to assume?

thanks

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's disgusting and inhuman. I hope you're not serious.

22. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

why not? Eye for an Eye...

what i want to know is why are they blaming world of warcraft

CBS news made it out to sound like the the mother was obsessed with it and thats what made her do this...

23. mpw Guest

I agree it doesn't really work as a deterrent IMO.
    I wouldn't agree with you there. How much does it cost society to keep a person in jail for 40+ years?
    Which is why the sentence should only be served where there is no doubt of the persons guilt.
    Where there is no doubt of the person guilt and the only alternative is a life sentence then I've no problem with a death sentence. As a deterrent it may not work, but at a purely practical level it can make financial sense for those tax-payers who may prefer to see their taxes spent on healthcare and education of their law abiding children rater than the healthcare, education, housing, feeding, clothing etc. of a convicted criminal.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Brilliantly said and absolutely true.

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Much less than it does to kill them, mostly because it takes a long time to determine that:

Read your New Testament there. Better yet, stop using ancient religious laws to support your opinions unless you're willing to grant all of them equal weight. Like the death penalty for adultery. You could move to a sensible place like Iran for that.