This is Why we are screwed ............

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by whoknows87, Oct 3, 2012.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

How Dare you Romney? fire Big Bird

On a serious note this is trending on twitter, instead of serious topics this is tells you how the average american voter is manipulated no wonder these negative ads work.........:D

Attached Files:

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

4. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Well that's an entitlement, you disgusting victim. ;)

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't most of PBS privately funded by donations and selling of tote bags?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From Twitter: Somewhere Paul Ryan is kicking over trash cans in hopes of smoking out Oscar the Grouch.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Pretty much.

From Neil deGrasse's Twitter: Cutting PBS support (0.012% of budget) to help balance the Federal budget is like deleting text files to make room on your 500Gig hard drive

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Isn't the real number dollar number somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 million?

Million here, million there.....sooner or later that turns into real money.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes, hundreds/thousands of contributions can add up. But to single out PBS?!

This is actually appropriate now: Won't someone think of the children?

PBS provides a lot of shows to children that aren't bombastic like nick cartoons and hurt their attention spans.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I think cutting educational programming for children is a serious problem. It goes well with their general strategy of keepin em' dumb.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I think parents are plenty capable enough at raising and educating their children without PBS (or TV in general for that matter).

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes, that's why our rankings in schools are raising compared to other nations across the globe. Err...

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

To borrow a phrase from the debate thread, cutting small things like PBS or NPR is nothing more than a circle jerk for the Republican base. These things have no effect on our budget.

The real savings are in tweaking of Medicare, cutting our bloated defense budget and tax loopholes like the home mortgage deduction which, if eliminated, would save us $1 trillion over 10 years.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

[​IMG]

It's ok to give billions to oil companies and encourage wall st. bankers to exploit every loophole they can find, but we can't afford educational TV? :mad:

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I'm a fan of the 2.3 trillion pentagon spending Rumsfeld couldn't explain.

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

We can't do both?

----------

That makes, well, zero sense. What does PBS have to do with education rankings?

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I took a few courses in college on this topic, and parent's aren't capable. If a child never watches TV, they're not exposed to culture, which hinders their development. If they watch too much TV, they don't go run around, which hinders their development. If they watch Nick Jr. and Cartoon Network, they think that blobs are people too, and yes, this hinders development.

Interestingly enough, ads that features a cartoon character telling kids to buy something (think Bart Simpson and Butterfinger ads) were made illegal because a kid cannot distinguish from an ad and a suggestion. It is very important that young children are raised in an ad-free environment that doesn't encourage an ADHD lifestyle.

----------

We're cutting PBS spending and then wonder why our test scores are falling. There's a very high correlation between extremely early learning and success later on in life. I don't recall the statistic, and correlation does not equal causation, however.... I think the point was, don't cut PBS.

18. Rampant.A.I., Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

The problem is that we won't do both. Politicians spend too much time cutting valuable programs that are barely funded already to deal with pork-barrel spending, as a smokescreen to make it appear like they're working on the economy.

PBS funding isn't even an atom in a drop of water in the ocean of wasteful spending. Funding cuts like this are done because they have high visibility: makes it look like the repubs have done something to combat wasteful spending.

Meanwhile, the truly wasteful spending will never be cut. They'll keep cutting arts & education, pretending they've done something to help the economy, and conservative-leaning folk will lap it up:

"Look, we're doing something! I can't pay the mortgage on my house this month, but I saved at least 10 pennies that I usually would have spent somewhere else! See that? I'm balancing my budget!"

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yeah, but can they play football as well?

No Sir Ree Bob.

Bread, and circuses, remember. ;)

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There's a lot of funny Sesame Street stuff coming out of last night's debate. Although not sure why people are acting like this is new. He has been saying this for months. Guess people really don't pay attention until the debates. Crazy.

Anyway, here's my favorite one.

Attached Files:

21. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

If that's the case, then they certainly won't miss public funding.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And I have a new favorite one already.....

Attached Files:

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

PBS doesn't get any public funding.

The public Funding goes to the Corporation of Public Broadcasting, which funnels that broadcasting to much more than just PBS.

From my post in the Debate thread:

So Romney is completely misinformed here, as he thinks it is a single network that sucks from the government teat, when it's a lot more than that, as it is a lifeline to the most rural areas. So I wonder why the defense budget gets a pass, but the dumbing down of children and loss of access to news and affairs in rural areas gets to be on the block, and the Conservatives here are all for it.

Keep weapons in our hands, but don't educate and enrich adults' and childrens' lives... :confused: :rolleyes:

BL.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do you know what a lot of parents are like these days?