This just in: Americans don't know what food is.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Anitramane, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Anitramane macrumors 6502

80% are in favor of mandatory labels on food containing DNA. Are you ****ing kidding me right now? Almost all food contains DNA, whether it's fruits, vegetables, meat, bread, etc. It's especially embarrassing when you consider there's a distinct question on GMOs, and nobody made the connection. By the way, it's just lovely how many people want GMOs to be labeled, despite them probably eating a ton without realizing it, and GMOs themselves presenting benefits over organic food for the most part. Look at the graph! People are more concerned with GMOs than they are with trans fats and calories in restaurant/school menus! Don't get me wrong, it's nice that people want to know what they put in their mouths, but you just know most of these people would systematically avoid GMOs if given the chance. But hey, we live in a world where people are unreasonably afraid of anything that's more than six letters long, so why am I even surprised at this point?

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Food without DNA?

I'm not even sure what that means.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Who cares about the DNA. That graph shows 53% of Oklahomans oppose the ban of marijuana.

:eek:

I think they are talking about genetically modified DNA.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This tells me most people became bored with the telephone or Mall questionnaire and didn't pay attention when it came to that trick question. ;)

5. Anitramane thread starter macrumors 6502

No they're not becasue there's a specific category for that.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Variations on this have existed for years. I've seen rice labelled "Cholesterol Free," and fruit labelled "Gluten Free." A lot of people don't know what's in their food and food sellers exploit that ignorance and fear in the hope of selling product.

7. TimelessOne macrumors regular

I figured the is people see DNA as the same thing as genetic engineering part. It is a confusion on that part but viewing DNA as genetic engineering.
    Oh and before you try saying that there was a category for genetic engineering part. That does not address the orginal view point and what the public see it as.
    Based on those break down I have a feeling the survey was poorly worded.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    DNA? Isn't that the goop what causes the ADD and autism in kids? What are we doing putting it in our food then, huh?

I tell ya. They force vaccines on us, tax us under threat of violence, and now they're messing with our food! Welcome to Obama's America, everyone.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't think the focus is solely on GMOs. Many of the concerns are things that are enabled by GMOs, such as increased pesticide.

10. APlotdevice, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It reminds me of those polls asking whether we should ban "Dihydrogen Monoxide". Needless to say, many people are completely clueless about chemistry. (And science in general)

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's funny how today food stuff made from actual food is a selling point.:eek:

I see those labels everywhere, Strawberry shortcake "Now with REAL Strawberries" or pizza with "Real Cheese." Back in my day, we didn't have those stupid labels. Food was made of food, not cooked up in a lab in China or Russia. Beef came from cattle and from soy byproducts.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The "real" logos are actually meant to distinguish from artificial flavors (or "cheese products"* in the latter's case). This sort of thing has actually been around for a long time.

*American Cheese, or cheese slices as they are known in the UK, is actually a "cheese product".

13. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, I remember the so called "light" orange juices that they were pushing for a while which was nothing more than watered down orange juice. They even had the nerve to charge more for the watered down version of the orange juice.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Call me old fashion (or just plain old:p), but I only eat cheese (not "cheese products") made from milk. I would not let my kids eat this "cheese product" that was made from "milk ingredients." This ain't some no-name cheese, it's from a highly respected brand name: Kraft.

It's an adventure every time I read the food labels on a new product. There are ingredients I use to mix in Organic Chemistry in college.:eek:

Attached Files:

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Being clueless if fine. We're all clueless about so much. We're even clueless about the extent of our cluelessness. :)

What's inexcusable is being unable to admit it and simply ask, "What's Dihydrogen Monoxide?"

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Err, even Kraft American cheese is a cheese product.

To be clear, "cheese product" is regular cheese... Usually cheddar... that has been pulverized, then put back together with emulsifiers, vegetable oil, food coloring, salt and sugar.

17. chown33 macrumors 604

What about Red Leicester, Stilton, or Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

No, it's made from "milk ingredients" which may or may not have been made from milk. Today food is processes so much you can't even be sure that slab of beef on your plate came from a single cow or not. Hail, it might not even be cow.:eek: People have become accustomed to it now. Well, not this old curmudgeon.

Back in the old days, food use to be food. Cheese was made from milk, not "milk ingredients." Orange juice was squeezed from oranges, not made from orange concentrate mixed with water. That strawberry shortcake was made with real strawberry was a given.

I can see why people want food label showing that it contains DNA. It's shows that their food came from something living. And not made by mixing compounds from vats 1 through 7 in a huge factory in Russia.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Back in my day Soylent Green was was made out of good old soybeans. Now they put all kinds of other stuff in it.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The Gub'ment told me it was made out of plankton. If you can't trust your Government not to lie to you, who can you trust.:p:p:p

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

To me this says more about the generally poor design and implementation of University-funded consumer surveys than anything else.

I'd like to know a lot more about how the question itself was asked, and what other information was included as part of the survey. I'm pretty sure consumers would be right in voicing their concerns about food containing PCBs or DDT.

I'm also not convinced that the average consumer needs to know much about DNA (or indeed any organic chemistry) in order to buy and prepare healthy food. Knowledge of DNA might be useful in understanding evidence in a murder case or getting through a college-level biology course - but navigating the aisles at Kroger or the drive-thru window at McDonalds? Not so much.

Universities would be better off spending more time figuring out how to conduct surveys that collect useful information. And losing the snark about average Americans. It would go a long way to repairing their "elitist" reputations.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

In this particular case, I agree. It's a strange thing to include and I'm not sure if they thought of the question as a control, or with the idea of checking to see if Americans were against anything added into food.

I would think that most people answered the question as if it was asking if DNA was added to the food through some kind of genetic engineering or other manufacturing effort.

I'd be tripped up by the question, if only to ask, "what do you mean by DNA?" Does this mean recombinant DNA created by genetic modification? Or, just the basic building blocks of life?

It's also worth noting that not all foods have DNA—distilled spirits and some candy don't have DNA in them.

The poll is poorly designed.

23. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    You can still find "real" food. Farmer's markets are a great source. I enjoy knowing where my food comes from and the people who grow it, when I don't grow it myself. Also easy to avoid GMOs that way, since so many are growing heirloom crops.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Hilarious. Thanks for pointing this one out.

What benefits will I get for eating GMO foods instead of organic? Before you answer, please note that I don't need to eat any more inexpensive corn chips. I don't consider eating cheap corn chips a "benefit" to anyone who is not starving.

But, seriously, there are a lot of ways in which something, like GMO foods, might be bad for the environment, making it bad for me, even though the food itself might not be harmful to me.

----------

I assumed it was a control, although, the other possibility is that some grad students altered the questionnaire after experimenting with the 95% ethanol.

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

What is wrong with the food if it is genetically modified?