This makes sense, right???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Belm, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Belm macrumors regular

I really want a new computer and I want that computer to be a Mac. Right now I have a 4 year old Dell that starting to show its age. It's an old Dimension with 1GB RAM and a 3Ghz Pentium 4. It's kinda wack, I know. It stutters while playing videos on Hulu, is very slow starting up, it takes a long time to open applications, is loud and it's huge. It's served me well but I think it's time for an upgrade. :p

My original plan was to just buy a 13" MBP and be done. But, then I came to these forums :p and started reading about the Core i5 and i7 processors and it made me want to wait. Who knows how long I'll be waiting for that. :rolleyes:

The new idea is to get a Mini instead. I'll have my Mac and when the Core processors do come to the MBP, specifically the 13", I'll just use the Mini as a HTPC or torrent slave and the MBP as the main computer.

I'm a student so I'll mostly use it for browsing the web, iTunes, doing papers, and watching movies. My sister thinks that this is a complete waste but I think it makes some sense. It makes sense right?! :eek:

(Sorry for the long winded post)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

with what you do you don't need an i7 iMac. However, that mini will really suit your needs. I am using a mid 2008 mac mini driving a 47" HDTV at 1080p and it works wonderfully. I think you are making the right decision.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

i would say at least 2 years for an iX 13" MBP

2.53 is the fastest now

next rev, 6 months from now = 2.8

next rev, 6 months after that = 3.06

next rev, 6 months after that = 3.33

all Core 2 Duos

4. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Im thinking the same...

5. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response!

I guess I don't need a Core i7... I'm just being a spec whore, I guess. :eek:

I'm actually thinking about hooking up the mini to my 26" HDTV and using that as a monitor instead of the 19" monitor I have. Hulu on TV sounds good :D

This is kind of the reason that I was thinking of getting the mini now instead of the MBP. This way I can wait and see what happens at least until summer 2010, around the back to school sale time. If nothing happens by then, I'll just get one and sell the ipod for extra savings.

I know I'm overthinking this a little. :D

6. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

I recommend a Mac Mini. You get more for your dollar. :) And you can get a fancy display! Mac Mini can have up to 4 GB of ram. GET ONE!

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd