This many foreign troops haven't encroached on Russia's border since June, 1941

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 25, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

During the Cold War is was the Fulda Gap in Germany. Today it is the Suwalki Gap in Poland.

However, we responded in kind:

Finally, this brilliant analysis highlights Obama's reckless Russia policy.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It looks like a case of bog standard saber rattling to me.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

What a load of nonsense.

Let's start with the definition of words. Like "encroachment", for example. Which actually means to intrude onto another nations territory or rights. And driving some vehicles through the streets of a NATO nation doesn't "encroach" on anyone's territory. Or does the OP think that Russia gets to dictate what goes on in foreign nations?

Then lets talk about "troops on Russian borders" (and I'm assuming he's talking about Russia's European border, since I'm pretty sure there have been hundreds of thousands of Chinese troops on its Siberian border several times in the past.

Why weren't NATO troops on Russia's borders from 1946 through 1991? Easy: Because Russia (USSR) had militarily overrun Rumania; Bulgaria; Czechoslovakia; Poland; and East Germany. And positioned hundreds of thousands of heavily armed Red Army troops there to threaten Western Europe for a half century. NATO troops couldn't get anywhere near precious Russia's "borders" for the simple reason the USSR had decided to militarily occupy a six hundred mile wide strip of other people's territory.

Putin is a thug and a bully. But if you think he's going to make nice with his fellow thug and bully Donald Trump, you're kidding yourself.

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Indeed, what was I thinking, citing Dr. Stephen F. Cohen, Princeton University professor emeritus of Russian Studies? PSRI has its own scholar in residence: vrDrew.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

oh....one of those left wing elites from one of the universities at the heart of the establishment, eh? And you went for it hook, line and sinker? :p

6. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Let's start with the definition of words. Like "encroachment", for example. In the context of the OP, the correct definition of encroachment would be "impingement on" as in having a negative impact. How could you get that so wrong, VR?

The way you defeat a bully is to stand up to him, not respond with love and compassion as the Obama administration would have us do. We've suffered through 8 years of feckless Obama leadership; now we need a strong pro-American leader like Trump to put things right.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think going 300 yards from Russia's border is standing up to them...

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Jealousy?

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

So we've managed to call Obama a powermad tyrant playing the bully and an effeminate coward too lazy to stand up to a bully all in the same thread. Just goes to show you that no matter what the man does, someone is going to find a way to twist into yet another example of why he shouldn't be president.

If he does A. He's too mean. Does B. He's too weak. Our weak willed ladyboy/bloodthirsty king in chief.

10. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

President Ladyboy?

Ouch!

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Today. Tomorrow he'll be an iron willed philosopher tyrant.

12. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The fact that he's incompetent is the takeaway. Russia stages exercises with 80,000 troops, and Nato responds with 4,000.

Pop quiz: Does that disparity in numbers discourage or embolden Putin?

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Depends on if Putin's watched 300 or not.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Seeing how often Putin walks around shirtless, I'm sure he has.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It wouldn't surprise if he rides around on his horse, screaming "THIS! IS! RUSSIA!" while kicking people.

16. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

LMAO. Are you surprised, aaronvan?
    I am not. Who knows, maybe we have the pleasure of Samuel P. Huntington's company in disguise somewhere here... /s

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Remember that the 300 died.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

But they kicked a lot of ass before that.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It explains a lot that you and Obama think being ridiculously outnumbered is an advantage.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It was a nose thumb disguised as a training exercise, basically a way of saying that, yes, we're paying attention, and we're not too worried about you.

Don't make this into something it's not for the sake of doofbait cheerleading.

21. jerwin, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016

jerwin macrumors 65816

alrighty then. Time to look up some words.

Screen Shot 13.png
    Russia can certainly demand that NATO not send troops across the Russian border-- not even as little green men, for that would be an encroachment of a most serious nature. However, it is within the rights of all those states to station troops on their own territories.

22. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Russia is the nation encroaching on sovereign nations on their border... NATO is simply standing up and being noticed.

23. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

No-one is arguing that nations--especially NATO nations--are free to host U.S. troops in their own territory. However, the real question is could a small miscalculation occur as a result of a dick measuring contest, and is the United States going to sacrifice thousands of Americans and risk global thermonuclear war over three tiny slivers of Baltic nationhood?

I would submit that the answer to the second question is a resounding "no." So why risk the first?

24. Macky-Mac, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

What do you think Trump would do?

I get the impression DUCKofDEATH thinks Trump would make a more aggressive reaction than Obama, with even more troops in order to stand up to Putin. Do you agree?

Which Trump will we get if he becomes president? The one who as a candidate criticizes Obama for intervening in Libya? Or the one who back in 2011 criticized Obama for not sending troops into Libya?

25. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Wasn't this you doing the doofbait cheerleading?:

If he does A. He's too mean. Does B. He's too weak. Our weak willed ladyboy/bloodthirsty king in chief.
    So now he's not bloodthirsty, he's being prudent.

All hail, ladyboy President!