This Mechanic Will Legally Refuse Service To Gay People Until Michigan Updates Laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Apr 16, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So for everyone saying that RFRA laws are good because they protect religious people from having to work at same sex marriage and that no one will discriminate against people just for being gay, what do you have to say now? Should this business legally be allowed to do what it's openly doing?

Link

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

TL ; DR but are they asking if people are gay or just looking for the rainbow bumper sticker?

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

He uses gaydar.

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Or maybe a gay couples and their children come in for a car repair? Or a gay couple comes in and god forbid accidentally acts like a couple in public? They're just asking for it right? :rolleyes:

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Clinging to their guns and Bibles. Tell me how Obama was wrong.

Why not just stop servicing Miatas? :eek:

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Maybe he will require that you perform in front of him just for verification. ;)

----------

Problem solved.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The guy is clearly an idiot, but how would he know if the person was gay anyway?

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well after he makes a ton of money from his supporters someone should go and get their car repaired there and if anything goes wrong sue him because of his threat to sabotage the cars of people who disagree with them.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Well, at least he has an offer of help:

Full open letter at: http://mapesbankruptcyattorneys.com/dear-dieseltec/

That's the best response this sort of troglodyte nonsense: Do the Christian thing and offer your help :)

Priceless.

12. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

meh, I hope people start catching up to these con artist.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Started it, got a 'surprise' and shut it down :

(From ThinkProgress)

Haha!

14. dec. Suspended

dec.

While this is not from the "'Christian' car mechanic" himself, I found this GoFundMe-page pretty funny.

http://www.gofundme.com/s3c658?hc_location=ufi

I was close to donating $6.66 ...but the just-a-few-hours-old Facebook page of the owner "Spencer Carolus" almost implies that it's satire, it's too over the top with the usual likes Bachmann, Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, NRA and who/whatever else you'd kind of expect from someone like that.

Edit: And technically I don't think that this is bad news, since it hopefully will show that anti-discrimination laws are necessary.

Edit 2: It was deleted too....

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

This sounds about right...

Source: https://opencourtrecords.org/case.php?id=11259

Don't these cavemen know how the internet works? Dumbas*

16. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Sounds like his reasoning for saying homosexuality is wrong, is because it can't result in procreation. I'd like to know his views on contraception, since heterosexual intercourse whilst on a form of birth control also results in "bolts without nuts".

On a more serious note, I'm not at all impressed with the rhetoric going around on either side lately. Why all the outrage over toothless rednecks refusing service to gays? Hate towards gays is fading so fast that it'll simply become a joke in no time. Beyond that, why would you want to try and force someone who hates you and your way of life into providing services to you? I don't want to pay my money someone who hates me, both because I'm supporting them and I'd likely get subpar service.

It's wrong to hate gay people, it's wrong to hate anyone over their inherent biological factors, but it's also wrong to sue someone for not selling you something because they just plain don't like you.

17. Robisan macrumors 6502

When the guys come in asking for an oil and lube...

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Can somebody explain to me why being Christian and toting guns go together? I'm an agnostic raised by an atheist, so I don't understand the link.

Anyway, I almost (I said 'almost') sorry for the mechanic: People rarely air their sins in public this way. What was he thinking?

19. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

A simpleton's (mis)reading of, "Onward Christian Soldiers..."?

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They really don't, it just happens that a lot of the people who like guns are also Christians. But there is nothing in Christianity supporting carrying guns. At the same time there isn't a lot discouraging carrying weapons either.

21. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

It doesn't. I went to Catholic school for most of my life, no one was pro-gun, in fact the faculty and staff were overwhelmingly liberal. Though I am from Chicagoland, so that's to be expected. Religion itself isn't the determining factor, it's the local/regional culture that dictates how people use and view religion.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Thank you, but shouldn't Christianity preclude the use of guns for anything other than hunting? It just seems a little weird to me that in the US religion and guns seem to be so closely associated. I've been to church at most a dozen times in my whole life, but I do no think I have ever seen a pastor, minister, reverend, or church elder speak out in favour of gun ownership.

23. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I guess the small businessman doesn't want business anymore since this came out.

I guess my Presbyterian Chuch upbringing was atong in just studying the New Testament that says those who throw the first stone should be free of sin( discrimination).

These Baptists are really getting out of hand refusing paying customers just because they happen to be homosexual!

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's a cultural thing in at least parts of the US. I have no idea how it got started though.

25. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Maybe the old WWII song, "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"?