This police officer is dangerous x2.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Jan 10, 2015.

1. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There's something wrong with any department that would allow their officers to behave in that manner. I hope they all find themselves in a different line of employment in the near future just for allowing **** like this.

2. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I'm not going to take a side since you can't see what was going on in the car from the video and it seems the guy shot had a bit of history with the police.

However, no one finds it odd that there have been only 5 officer involved shootings in 8 years and 2 of them are by the same officer? He has caused almost half of them. It doesn't prove he was in the wrong but it does raise some concern that one guy can find himself in two situations requiring deadly force.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I bet if both men complied they'd still be alive, regardless if the police officer was justified or not.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I can't imagine I would be completely calm and able to comply with instructions in that situation. That would be the best course of action, but how calm would you be under duress?

Did you watch the video? Did you think about it? He approached the car in an extremely hostile manner with weapon drawn. If he thought they were potentially dangerous, where was his call for backup? The guy was so nervous that he fired three shots at an unarmed person. Someone like that should not be in a role that requires a firearm regardless of whether he's charged with a crime.

6. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

It's interesting that you say that. You and I have the luxury of thinking about it in the comforts of our own safe and secure environment, not under duress. How much time did the officer have? Do me a favor, watch this. I don't expect it to change any minds here but it is interesting.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/Clip/11...-undergoes-use-of-force-scenarios#VLIP9SOrkqc

(Sorry, I don't know how to embed the video)

7. LIVEFRMNYC, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

That experiment holds true towards the Dillon Taylor shooting, which I side more with the officer. And the fact the he shot once and not excessively, plays in his favor.

But in this case, officer Morrison was very aggressive, anxious, and obviously trigger happy. Not professional at all and dangerous.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I think's it Albuquerque (maybe Santa Fe) PD that has had like 30 police killings of unarmed citizens over the past ten year...and not one single indictment.

----------

Nor I. Anyone want to "learn" us?

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I understand the point of the video, although the two situations are a bit different. This guy is a trained cop who had been through a prior shooting. He should have learned from the experience, yet he still approached the car screaming. If he was that worried before even walking up to the vehicle, why didn't he wait for backup? The guy created his own bad situation.

10. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Curious that you would take that position in the Dillon Taylor case. Is it because you can see pretty much what the officer saw? In both Officer Morrison cases you can't see what he sees yet he repeatedly tells the victims to comply with his orders, just like the officer with Dillon Taylor. And somehow you're sure he's nothing but trigger happy and dangerous?

11. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

One of the main reasons is, the officer that shot Dillon Taylor gave him plenty of time to comply. And Dillon Taylor made a stupid move by turning around towards the officer with both hands in his waist then suddenly pulling up his hands.

Now in the Morrison case, you can actually see the hands of the person he shot up in the air and on the front seat headrest. He didn't move his hands until the officer started to get aggressive in tone and movement. Morrison basically gave him no time at all after his weapon was drawn. And shot excessively.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Dillon Taylor looked like he was getting a gun out of his waistband.

And the policeman had to approach him to arrest him, there was no way around that.

13. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

It's tough from both views.

In places like NY officers are always in pairs of two and suspects still don't always show respect. In this case he was alone trying to watch 4 people I think.

I heard him say put your hands up multiple times. Why did guy not comply?

Not saying I agree or disagree as i know nothing of this other than few seconds I watched. In general though if one makes a motion to imply they have a weapon. That's how they are judged at that time.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Seems like a tragedy all ways. It looked to me like the cop was pissing himself with fear. The problem is, we do not know what he saw. We do hear him making orders multiple times, but we can't tell if the person who was shoot was complying or acting threateningly.

My questions is this: why reach for a gun rather than a Tazer or pepper spray? Shooting into a car to hit one person when there are 3 other people in the car is dangerous. The police officer was lucky the bullets didn't pass through the intended target and hit the passengers who were complying...

15. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Police can't expect everyone to follow commands at militant like swiftness. Especially given the possibility than anyone can be impaired.

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Did you even watch the video?

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you mean they were lucky he didn't murder all for of them.
    he wasn't 'lucky', he wouldn't have given a **** if he did kill all of them, just like he din't care a bit for the one he did murder.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Wow. Your telepthy skills must be far greater than mine.

Forgive me. I am a scientist. One of the things that we are trained to do is to recognise when we need to say 'we don't know'.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They don't always work, and Tazers don't get multiple shots. As I said, he shouldn't have approached the car alone if he was that afraid of the people inside it.

20. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Sure did, what's your point?

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

First time he shot was about 25 seconds after he told them several times to put their hands up. I don't really classify that as expecting lightening speeds.

22. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Post #12 last paragraph. I already explained.

The officer gave no time at all from when he drew his weapon. And basically very little time from when he became aggressive. He drew his weapon to shoot, not to protect himself. Then after he shoots him three times he still expects him to comply to commands, you can tell the guy was in serious pain.

In the military we were trained to apprehend someone with their hand on their heads. Reason being, is that the average person finds in difficult to keep their hands up for even 30 seconds without some movement and after around 1-2 minutes they are struggling for a break. So imagine dealing with someone who might be high as hell and jittery.

Like I said, officers can't treat everyone like they are not impaired, scared, as is able to follow commands on a dime. Even having a flashlight in your face can cause a disorientated delay.

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I wonder if it is because Dillon Taylor was white?

24. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Or are you just wondering if I'm racist? :rolleyes: