This Poor Lady Is Losing Her Home, But Has an iPhone Darnit!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gibbz, Apr 19, 2009.

1. gibbz macrumors 68030

See CNN story here

[​IMG]

The story laments on the plight of delinquent home owners in obtaining mortgage adjustments. I thought it rather telling that one of these home owners (shown in the image) has an iPhone. She wants sympathy for her hardship in dealing with the lenders, yet she clearly hasn't done everything possible to help her financial situation.

Would getting rid of an iPhone alone give her enough money to make the payment? No. But it is a microcosm of the problem as a whole. If people like her were to get rid of all unnecessary items, they might be in a better place overall financially. Yet, it seems a much easier prospect to simply blame others when defaulting on a loan.

This mindset is portrayed flawlessly in the article when it states, "Critics charge that's not good enough when you're dealing with the loss of one's home and ruining a family's credit rating." I'm sorry, but the bank isn't ruining the family's credit rating nor are they at fault in taking a home away. Playing victim and completely ignoring self responsibility is all too rampant in our country today.

Now, I realize that I am assuming a lot about this lady's life and certainly I do not know her situation. It is only meant to serve as a generalized backdrop on our society today. I am not rich myself or own a home (still in grad school). I have had friends who have struggled in paying their mortgage. I am certainly understanding of hard times. One such friend was a classmate who was the recipient of a loan he had no business obtaining during the housing boom. He fell behind a few times, but when times were tough, he cut out all of the excess to make his payments. He dropped cable, internet, sold his vehicle for a cheaper one, sold his big screen tv along with all kinds of personal junk around the house.

Thoughts on the current mortgage crisis or personal responsibility?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It could have been a gift, or a work requirement.

3. gibbz thread starter macrumors 68030

This is true. Which is why I tried to put a disclaimer that I was assuming a lot about the lady.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's possible that when she got her iPhone, she had a well paying job and was financially sound, but lost the job and now can't make the mortgage payment. And if she's under contract, she just can't cancel her iPhone plan.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

agreed.

She would of gotten then phone while she had a job and it could easily of been reasonable then. Loose you job then you just get hammered. Unemployment pays crap compared to what one used to make.

When one loses their job you can only cut so deep. The cell phone plan is NOT one of those things you cut. You need a phone.

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agree entirely. That said, it doesn't look good: Pleading poverty, but posing with a high-end cellphone. To the casual observer, she's unwittingly undermining her credibility. She'd have been better keeping the phone out of the frame.

And yes, I'm entirely open to the possibility that it's not even her phone and the CNN photographer thrust his phone into her hands to make a good photographic tie-in with the "Dial 1-800..." headline. It happens, but, as a casual reader I don't have the time or inclination to verify this.

Of course, maybe the phone is hers, and the photographer was making a point? Who knows?

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No you don't. And you're basing all your sanctimony on a newspaper article that probably has about 10% to do with reality. That hasn't stopped you writing 500 words to berate her.

Rampant in everyone but us right? Certainly not you Gibbz you take 100% responsibility. As do I. It's those other people.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Yes -- it's each person's responsibility to think before typing.

For all we know, the phone could belong to a friend or some family member.

From the article, it sounds as if this woman is making a good faith effort to work something out with the lender, and she's having great difficulty even speaking with someone about it. At this moment in time, who appears to be showing more "personal responsibility"?

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Couldn't she sell her iPhone, pay the ETF and get a cheaper phone and cheaper plan? That's what I would do if I was in a bad financial situation...

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

What exactly is the point of continuing to discuss this if none of us actually has a clue?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So an iphone is a sign of great wealth now? They are just as expensive to own as a many other phones....

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not to mention that its the first gen iphone, obviously nearing two years, probably waiting for the contract to be up before switching to a different plan/phone. but this is all conjecture, as pointed out already. so really, who cares?

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well in the UK I just got a pay as you go phone for £100, and you can get pay as you go phones for £30. By comparison the iPhone 8GB is nearly £350, so yes I'd say it was expensive to own.

Good point.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The only way it would make any difference at all would be if she had gone out and bought it after already being in financial trouble. Even still, you see homeless people with cell phones nowadays. Was this just some sad attempt to criticize someone for buying something that isn't that expensive to begin with?

15. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

:rolleyes:

And just to add to all the other worthless speculation: maybe she cut off her landline and home ISP and kept her iPhone, which now serves as her only phone and internet access?

I hate **** like this. You act like you're being completely reasonable by acknowledging up front that you have no clue, and then proceed to judge her anyway.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Forget about this woman. How about responses to the general topic? And is having a phone a fundamental right?

17. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Ok, here's on topic. Is speculating and pointing fingers a fundamental right? How about worrying about what someone else is doing and not focusing on what you can be doing in your own life a fundamental right? I can not stand how people are so concerned with what someone else is doing. Let's all focus on what we can be doing to better our own situation than laying judgment on what someone else is doing in their own life...

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Seems kinda silly...that what the thread is based on

No, but if you need for work,can't cancel out of the contract with overpaying(to the point where it wouldn't be cost effective), have it from times when money was better for the person, etc

Frankly it comes down it, you don't know what this person has going on in their life(specifically) and until you do, there is no reason to criticize her.

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Good point. I don't know why I was trying to make it about something else. :p

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I think you're taking this thread a bit to literally. Gibbz already said that he was assuming a lot about the person and only used the photo and the description as a way to open up the topic of personal responsibility for discussion. The story of the phone, and even of the title of the thread itself, is not what the discussion was meant to be about. I assumed that was obvious through my special superpower of reading comprehension.

As to the real reason this thread exists, to discuss personal responsibility in the recession, I think you hit the nail on the head Gibbz. People always blame the banks for foreclosing on their homes, adjusting the interest rates of mortgages, and ruining their credit ratings. It's like they don't even realize that the only reason the bank is able to do those things is because there was a contractual agreement between the bank and the individual when the individual wanted purchasing power above what they had actually earned/saved.

Having your house foreclosed upon must be terrible. It is sure to ruin your financial stability for a long time, but it just wouldn't happen as often as we're seeing if people used some common sense with borrowing money. Entering into loans and mortgages are huge financial commitments, and people were treating them as if they aren't. This isn't even the worst part though. Instead of learning a lesson and realizing they might be overextended, they cast the blame on the very institutions that loaned them the money they didn't have and have little prospect of collecting. Always blame. Always.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Agreed. I spent 4 years away in college without a landline, and the only reason I have a landline now is because I get it free through work. Otherwise, I wouldn't have one.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well, the people mentioned in the article might need internet and a mobile for work.

Not because they really need it to do their jobs, but their clients will demand quick callbacks or they lose money.

If you are within a few hundred you can look at losing the fancy car, mobile phone, and internet to juggle expenses enough to stay in the home.

But this article is saying they want to work with their lender, and they cannot even get a callback.

Even on Suze Orman when their was a guy in this situation, it took her calling to get the lender to do a callback.

And even then the guy decided to take another ARM at 1% for 5 years instead of walking away. Right now he could have walked cleanly, in 5 years he'll likely get hit with an IRS bill and a lawsuit from the lender unless his house triples in price in 5 years.

23. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Give me a break, the cheapest plan for an iPhone is what, about $60-$70 a month because you have to have data? So its as expensive as another smartphone and quite a bit more expensive than a regular cellphone; my whole family pays about $70 a month for three normal cellphones.

Regardless, getting rid of the phone alone wouldn't have made much of a difference in her mortgage, but it does make the reader wonder what else she needlessly may be spending more money than is necessary on.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'll level the exact same observations at you Badandy. Who are these amorphous they people that always act in such a predictable and atrocious manner? Are we all included in the they? Are you included in the they Badandy? Or is it just amorphous other people?

I'm also interested when America hit the critical limit of "ignoring self responsibility is all too rampant in our country today". Is there some sort of personal responsibility graph that shows the changes over the decades? Or does one form this opinion from sensational newspaper articles formulated to enrage and stoke one's sanctimony?

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It does not really work like that. Selling the iPhone might net her 100 bucks. $100 does not go that far and the plan reduction is only pennies. in the end. It would work out to be $360 a year.

So for selling the iPhone you get $460 saved over the long term at best for a job lost that is a temporary problem.

Also $460 in a year is chump change and to be would not be worth my time and trouble in making that switch. Even if I was short on cash. Short term I might get a $100 bucks out of it AT BEST. $100 is nothing.